Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

Please help, I can't figure this out and I know there must be a simple solution. I have a dedicated folder system that I've always used. I want those folders to appear in LR3 exactly like they appear on my hard drive. Also, when I create an image in LR3 I want it to appear on my hard drive in Finder. I also need images I star in LR to retain that star so that they display properly in Bridge. Basically, I want LR3 to operate like Bridge, where everything happens in real time. For example, I add an image to a folder in Finder and I want to instantly see it in LR.

This is important because we have multiple people working on multiple computers and we need everything to look the same to everybody in real time. I mean when we star something in Bridge, and import it to LR the image retains the star. But right now, when we star something in LR and open it in Bridge later the image is no longer starred.

Thanks so so much for any help!

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #2 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

I am not sure I follow your folder problem. Folders in LR always match the OS folder structure. I have a main folder Called Photoalbum. Under that I have a folder for each year which is sub divided by shoot "01-19-shoot name". I imported the folder Photoalbum and it pulled in the sub folders.

The stars are stored in the LR catalog. I think if you save the metadata to file "Metadata/save metadata to file" it is visible in Bridge.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:41 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

On the stars, brilliant! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding folders I've found a solution, I right click the folder and select "synchronize" and then the folder in LR matches the folder in Finder. Is there a way to make LR do this automatically?

Thank you!

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:57 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #4 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

LR has an Auto import function but it is a bit of a special purpose function. I use it for scanner output. You set up a single "watched folder" on your HD and any image dumped there gets auto imported into LR and moved to a single specified folder. You can then move it to its final filling location.

I would suggest getting your current collection imported via either synchronize or import. For new images, transfer them from card to disk using the LR import functions using the "specified folder". They will then be in LR and indexed and on the HD available to Bridge, etc.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Please help, I can't figure this out and I know there must be a simple solution. I have a dedicated folder system that I've always used. I want those folders to appear in LR3 exactly like they appear on my hard drive.

Be careful what you wish for in case you get it.

At first Lr will display in the left hand panel any folders that it knows to contain images that have already been imported but it sorts them alphabetically or whatever without what looks like the correct structure that you find on the hard drive. The problem is partly that Lr does not show the empty folders and partly that it does not show the parent folders of the folders that do contain images. To get around this limitation first backup your catalog in case you mess up what follows because the only way to undo it seems to be to revert to an old catalog. Then right click on one of the folders that you know should have a parent folder and click on Add Parent Folder. The parent folder will appear in the list (sorted correctly) and the present folder will appear under it. Other sister folders might also be rearranged so that they too appear under the parent folder. You can process all of your orphaned folders this way. The risk is that if you go too far then you cannot hide parent folders and your folder list is then stuck with any excess folder levels. That doesn't break Lr in any way but it pushes the names of the image folders too far to the right and they don't get displayed unless you widen the left panel, which then reduces the image display area.

If you have an folder called "photos", for example, and under that is a whole structure of image-bearing folders then you can display that structure as I just described. But what if there are say six folder levels above "photos" that you don't want to see ? Once they're shown you are stuck with them unless you revert to a previously saved catalog that did not show them. You can make extra backups of the catalog as you progress just in case.

Also, when I create an image in LR3 I want it to appear on my hard drive in Finder.

This is automatic. So long as the correct folder structure is being displayed you should have no trouble seeing it in Finder - but be aware that Lr and Finder (which is effectively Windows Explorer, for the non-Mac readers) may be sorting the files differently and a file that is there may be found in a different sequence.

I also need images I star in LR to retain that star so that they display properly in Bridge.

Someone else told you how to that using the XMP files. Personally I don't like using the xmp files because it slows things down and not all other software keeps the xmp files with the corresponding image files. I just rely on my Lr catalog to hold the metadata and edits, and I keep it backed up often. However, I do not use Bridge.

Basically, I want LR3 to operate like Bridge, where everything happens in real time. For example, I add an image to a folder in Finder and I want to instantly see it in LR.

Here the trouble is that Lr is not like Bridge. In many ways that's a good thing too. Bridge has to look at the folder to find changes every time you use it. Lr already knows what it has changed because that info is in its catalog database - no searching required. If you use an external editor to create or delete files then Lr has to be told to synchronize folders but it may not know what changes are made to edited files. It can be told to synchronize metadata too but that can also slow things down. And it may have conflicting changes - some made in Lr and some made outside Lr, but which does it keep ? It will choose one lot or the other but will not take image changes from one program and keyword changes from another, for example.

This is important because we have multiple people working on multiple computers and we need everything to look the same to everybody in real time. I mean when we star something in Bridge, and import it to LR the image retains the star. But right now, when we star something in LR and open it in Bridge later the image is no longer starred.

I don't know how this can work safely. Lr is not a multi-user database, is it ? You want a single change in a single Lr catalog to be reflected in the Bridge used on different computers. Those users may have opened Bridge at different times and the data will not be updated in real time but when the user refreshes it. I'm pretty sure that you can't all be using the same files at the same time - or at least not writing to them at the same time. Even if you could there is scope for access conflicts that could result in lost data.

I don't profess to be an expert on multi-user network access with Lr, but I raise these issues so that you have something to think about and follow up on.

- Alan

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

You guys have been an answer to my prayers! Used LR all night and really liked the workflow and results. Last question, when I saved my metadata to file, CMD S, I noticed a million XMP files showed up in my folders on my Mac. If I put a check mark in "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" will that put that XMP files into the raw files so I don't see them anymore? It's kind of annoying to have a million XMP files next to my raw images in Finder. Thanks again!!!

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

ohsnaphappy wrote:
You guys have been an answer to my prayers! Used LR all night and really liked the workflow and results. Last question, when I saved my metadata to file, CMD S, I noticed a million XMP files showed up in my folders on my Mac. If I put a check mark in "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" will that put that XMP files into the raw files so I don't see them anymore? It's kind of annoying to have a million XMP files next to my raw images in Finder. Thanks again!!!

Nope. You either use xmp files or you use just the Lr catalog (which is what I do). By relying on the Lr catalog and also by backing it up often I do not need the xmp files and so I deleted them. This speeds things up too because there is far less file activity. The xmp files are not recreated because auto xmp updating has been turned off but if it was still on then it would be pointless to delete the xmp files.

Without using frequent catalog backups this would be an approach destined for disaster, so be warned.

With few exceptions set in preferences, xmp data is never written into the raw files by Lr. What that "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" preference setting did was tell to Lr to update the xmp files as and when the data changes rather than waiting for you to manually instruct Lr to make those updates. In the meantime Lr keeps the data in its catalog database.

- Alan

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:48 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #8 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

ohsnaphappy wrote:

The design philosphy behind Adobe software like Lightroom and Camera Raw is to never modify the content of your raw files. Think of your raw files as film negatives which can't be changed after they are developed. The exception is the "Edit Capture Time" command which writes date changes directly to the file when the "Write date and time changes into proprietary raw files" option is enabled in Catalog Preferences (the actual image content is not affected).

By default Lightroom saves your editing instructions in its internal database. The CTRL + S command copies those instructions from the database to the raw file as an XMP sidecar file. So unless you have specific reasons for wanting XMP sidecars you can avoid using the command.

To avoid having XMP sidecar files you can convert your raw files to the DNG format. With DNG files the CTRL + S command will write the editing instructions directly to fields in the file header. The file preview will also be updated to reflect your editing; updated previews aren't possible with raw files.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #9 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

Just out of curiosity, when I star an image in Bridge, why don't I see XMP files in my folders? I think what I'm going to do is star all my images in Bridge, that way everyone else who has access to the raw images in my studio will be able to sort them according to rating on their computers and I won't have a million XMP files in my wedding folders. Then after I star them in Bridge I'll synchronize the folder in Lightroom and proceed with my workflow.

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:16 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #10 · Make Folders In Lightroom Mimic Folders On Hard Drive

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when I star an image in Bridge, why don't I see XMP files in my folders? I think what I'm going to do is star all my images in Bridge, that way everyone else who has access to the raw images in my studio will be able to sort them according to rating on their computers and I won't have a million XMP files in my wedding folders. Then after I star them in Bridge I'll synchronize the folder in Lightroom and proceed with my workflow.

Because Adobe Bridge, just like Lightroom, saves metadata changes to its internal database by default. To generate XMP sidecar files with your ratings you need to start up Bridge, then go to Edit > Camera Raw Preferences, and select the "Sidecar ".xmp" files" option from the "save image settings in" drop-down box.

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password