Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo ...

tetsu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

Hi folks, I'm looking for a good dye-sublimation printer for 4x6 prints (bigger does not hurt but i dont need to print on many sizes really).

What im most interested is the best low cost per photo printer available on the market for under 1000$. Its better if the printer is small and also if it can be totally portable (with battery)

Ive been researching the Hiti P110s and the Canon Selphy CP800. Both arount 30 centes per printed photo.

Any more ideas?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
tetsu

p.1 #2 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

Ive been also checking on the Epson Picture Mate Charm (140$ on amazon) with 32 cents per photo, Im just worried about the little printers with ink like this, unlike the hiti (i dont know about canon) the ink can run out before you print the paper pack (150 or 200 units). With the hiti you know that you will be able to print all the 60 photos.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:42 PM
trevanian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

I used to have one these small printers but I quit using it when online printing became really cheap. Heres the link to the company.

http://www.hiti.com/us/Products/PhotoPrinters.asp

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

I still use my Epson Paper Mate. The print quality is excellent. The one thing you have to do occasionally is run the clean nozzles. You can buy the larger packs and it is designed that the ink will print all the paper apart from one caveot. If you print immediatelly all the paper it is fine. If you print a few then leave it for a week, I would take out the cartridge and store it in a sealed bag till next used.

I really want a larger format printer and they seam to be a dying breed without costing a fortune. I have heard some good stuff about the HiTi brand.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

Does it have to be dye-sub?

While I don't know the availability of supplies in Paraguay, I would think that dye-sub supplies are mail order only as they mostly are here in the states. However ink-jet printers and supplies can be had at any office/electronics store.

I mention inkjet for serveral reasons:
- availability...anywhere for supplies or another printer
- power... they use 1/5 to 1/20th the power that dye-subs use (use an UPS for remote power)
- cost per print ... for 4x6's is about half (16c) per page
- quality... ask anybody who has seen inkjet prints next to dye-subs
- dust ... when dust gets on the rollers, it shows up in all prints.
- cost per printer - inkjets (8x10 prints) are sub $100 (US$)

However if you're needing:
- compact size (4x6 dedicated models anyway)
- convenience of swapping 'ink'/paper less frequently
- speed (which 2x inkjets can match)
then dye sub is prolly your huckleberry.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tetsu

p.1 #6 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

thanks trevanian! that's the one ive been researching!

Brit-007 that's the thing that worries me about the Epson, im not going to print or use all the cartridge at once. In case of the hiti this does not matter cause the cartridge is totally dry, unlike the ink type of the epson. Do you have any estimates on how much it last if you don't print them all at once? for example 10 prints each day or every two days?

Hammy, we have supply for the hiti in Paraguay, the problem with the inkjet printers is the very high cost of the ink and the high cost of the paper, what i need is the lowest cost per photo solution. Hiti and Epson cost me about 0,3 and 0,5$ per photo (with the shipment from USA included)

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

With the Epson a ran about 30 prints through and they were brilliant. Could not fault it at all. I then left it a few months before I needed it again. I had to run the deep clean cycle and waste a good 6 sheets before it would give good prints.

It seams that if you leave it a while like a few weeks then it is imperative to store the ink in a sealed bag then waste some paper till you get a descent print. I tried to buy a print set, paper and cartridge, locally and could not. I had bought mine as a 150 sheet from B&H and although I would not have an issue if I was able to print all 150 sheets in 1 go but I have not been able to do this. I think I would rather have the Epson rather than the Canon.

For the small amount I use it then I probably would go with the HiTi but I have not seen samples from it. The Epson really gives great results without any adjustments.

If you were thinking of the HiTi I would try to see actual samples from it before buying.

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:35 PM
setiprime
• •
p.1 #8 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

I have been using HiTi printers 640 and 730 for the last 5 years. absolutely flawless performance and very good customer response.

Feb 18, 2012 at 06:49 PM
BrendanPk

p.1 #9 · Portable Dye-Sublimation printer with low cost per photo under 1000$

I have been looking into dye subs for a while. Used epson r800/1800s for over 5 years, great quality but cleaning cycles, ink supply and per cutting paper to obtain fastest printer to customer result was getting to me. It took 1.5 min for a 8x10 and about 45sec for 5x7. Using express digital darkroom we ran 4 printers to keep up to order speed, and it barely kepted it up if everything ran perfectly. After the years of abuse they are showing it and I had it. Just ordered a DNP ds40 for doing up to 6x9 prints to try it out. Flat knowable rates for preprint costs every time. I have not scene quality side by side yet as its not arrived, but I will soon.
Reality though is that people love prints of any quality. We used to look and tweek everything, perfect color etc, and for what, a whole lot of headache. We started letting a lot of the minor color shifts go and people never noticed or cared they just cared if they looked good and only complaints we really have ever gotten is "I don't look good, is that really me" from the more vain people, and occasionally a print gets scratched and that comes back. Prints are still popular as long as people don't have to do them their self.
I always hated dye sub color but most don't know better, just look at how many a adjustment park sells , I got one and was so happy I had that moment, but even when I was 18 I looked at the print quality as crap, but didn't complain... And that cost me $20 for a 5x7! And neither did anyone else off the 20+who purchased at the same time.
I am not saying its ok to always sacrifice quality but a photographers standards are almost always 3000times highr than john q public

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password