Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

smallrewards
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

Well, basic question, last of my dog questions, I promise...thought about not making another. Anyway, the general consensus in my other thread was to not chop the head...I partly decided to do it because I was shooting through a glass door, and he had pressed his runny nose all over it making a mess. Zoomed in I could find ways to avoid the obstruction...but had a really hard time getting a good clear sharp image through the door.

Anyway, I have 2 mostly full body images that are fairly well focused, but I have a really hard time figuring out how to crop it (currently doing some reading on framing rules and techniques) and am not sure about the exposure. At the moment I am just using the software that came with the camera, have it show clipped highlights and clipped shadows, adjust just enough to try to eliminate as much of that as possible (when I feel like they deter from the image anyway, such as on the dogs nose ) and then leave it, as I dont want to do much PP...since I dont know what I am doing.

If you have another tip for how to do simple exposure adjustments, while I read, learn more and practice to add more variety, let me know! Also, if you have any framing suggestions on these, let me know that too! (I will actually probably just submit my personal favorite from my other thread, this is mostly for learning, unless I find out there is some hidden image not yet seen )

DSC00523 by bmglen, on Flickr

DSC00522 by bmglen, on Flickr

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

Wow that dog just strikes that pose doesn't he? I don't have the trained eye of many of the other posters but I think I would like the closer in and wider lens perspective of the first set of shots but without so much cropped out. My first impression was that the dog was stouter looking in the first set which seemed to work well with the attitude he exhibits.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

Lots of good questions.
I dont know what software comes with your camera. Maybe someone else uses the same program and can advise you.
If you are serious about digital photography, you should seriously consider Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, or perhaps Aperture. I use LR for 90%+ of my work, occasionally turning to Photoshop CS4. But PS is expensive, has a long and challenging learning curve in return for allowing you to do far more than you imagined was possible.
Apart from the exposure issue, a big problem with the images above is the presence of cluttered, busy and distracting background. To move from snapshot to a more finished image you will need to practice training your eye to see past the subject to the elements adjacent to and behind your subject. We all end up with shots of trees sprouting out of our family member's heads. Here you have furniture, bright colors, bright lights, etc.
Shooting more wide open (lower f stop) throws the background more out of focus, helping. More seen in the second shot above.
Try to shoot simple scenes first. I just made this error in one of my posts above about lighting and color in a portrait under the trees.
Go for the dog on the grass or road, in front of a uniformly colored couch or a wall just to practice removing distractions.
And feel free to post here. I have learned a ton and people like to share and teach.

Scott

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

These are aperture priority with spot metering (where I want to get my exposure), using the center point, and bringing the ISO as low as possible, to keep the apeture as wide as possible (as close to the set point I have chosen), and the shutter speed on this type of shot (not moving a much) under 1/250 sec. If they are running, I would want to maybe increase my ISO to bring my shutter speed up to 1/400th to 1/600th top.

The use of a wider aperture will help "blurr" out the distracting backgrounds and help bring the subject to the eye.

Your second shot is overexposed.

If you would include the exif data with your post it would be a great help in seeing what you are doing wrong

These shots are not the most interesting, but shows sort of what I mean

The last shot was indoors with flash, I cranked up the ISO, (makes the chip more sensitive to light), low light conditions...200mm FL...save that for an other lesson, but you can see my point

Jefferson

Canon EOS 5D    EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens    200mm    f/5.6    1/200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens    200mm    f/5.0    1/200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens    183mm    f/4.5    1/25s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:21 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

I'd suggest working on composition and use of negative space. Consider alternate compositions. For example:

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Non dog face crops...how to crop and exposure advice?

And look for compositions with balance but be careful of over-cropping negative space. For example, consider alternate crops:

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password