Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

syedabbas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

I am planning a trip to Finland-Norway in June-July where a lot of trekking and camping will be involved. This is my first photo trip in many ways, so I am hoping I wont miss on any of the important equipment I should be taking along. Suggestions from experienced travel photographers is greatly appreciated!

Here is what I am taking along.

Canon 7D (will hopefully rent a 5D body)
Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 50mm f/1.2L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II IS
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II

3 CF Cards (2 33GB and 1 8GB)
4 Batteries (2 Canon LP-E6 and 2 STK's High Capacity 2600mAH)
RSS TVC-33 Tripod + BH-55 Ballhead

That's the stuff I already have and will take on this trip. Following is the list of equipment I am planning to buy for this trip..

Backup battery or solar battery to charge camera batteries in the wild. I have no idea what to go for, please suggest.
Lee's graduate filter (.6, .9 and a big stopper) and a polarizer.
A GPS unit to track our route and sync with the pictures later. Please suggest if any one in particular worked well for you.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

Speaking in terms of equipment, you should be more than covered. I spent a week in Norway last June and I got by with four batteries without recharging any of them and 14GB of memory. However, part of the reason I managed that is it rained almost the whole time I was there, so I only shot about half as many pictures as I thought I would. Plan on getting wet, especially if you're in the western and northern parts of Norway. An umbrella (or two) is highly recommended and be sure to have extra lens cloths - especially when around waterfalls, because a lot of them are right-in-your-face type locations and they will all be booming that time of year.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:40 AM
syedabbas

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

Thanks for the valuable advice Bryan! Really appreciate it! I hope it wont rain much and I'll have enough opportunities to shoot, but in case it does I'll now be prepared!

Thanks again!

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:45 AM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

Sounds like you are more than covered with equipment. Norway is rugged and wet, but you might get lucky with the weather too and have very nice weather. Last year the summer was crap, rained most of the time. Hoping for a better summer this year. I don't know how much you will get out of solar unit though, we usually well covered by a thick layer of clouds.

Where in Norway are you heading?

Roger

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:33 AM
syedabbas

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

I really hope it wont rain as much this year! The plan is to land in Helsinki and drive up to Tampere and meet my group. From there we plan to drive up north to Lapland and beyond.

The whole trip is planned for about 14 days, I hope its enough time to visit and shoot interesting landscapes! I am currently using Trey Ratcliff's "Stuck on Earth" and Flickr to scout the area and mark some of the landmarks we might cover, but if you know of a better tool I can use to scout the place, please let me know.

Where in Finland or Norway are you from, Roger?

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:27 PM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

I'm currently living in Stavanger, all the way down in the southwest corner of Norway.

Sounds like you will stay in the north of Finland and Norway. In the north of Norway I think you will find the Lofoten islands most interesting. I think the best landscape in Norway is found in Lofoten and on the west coast from about Kristiansund down south to Stavanger.

Check out Bruce Percy's web page. He travels frequently to Norway and have a lot of nice images from Lofoten in his portfolio (all from winter though). Also, check out his blog. He traveled from south to north in the summer and had a lot of blog postings with images.

http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/index.html

North of Norway can often get very nice summer weather, and with midnight sun you are in for a great trip.

Roger

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

syedabbas wrote:
Thanks for the valuable advice Bryan! Really appreciate it! I hope it wont rain much and I'll have enough opportunities to shoot, but in case it does I'll now be prepared!

Thanks again!

Hi:

I wouldn't take a chance on hoping for good weather, I'd be prepared for bad weather.

I have the Kata E-702 raincoat for my cameras (I live on the west/wet coast) where it rains a bit sometimes in the winter.

http://www.kata-bags.ca/product.htm?Product=KTE702&Source=Category&Category=KPRAINCOVERS

It's really an unfortunate depiction of the gear because it's really not as clunky as they have portrayed it. No wonder not many people buy them. The arms don't stick up in the air like that - they've been propped to show where your arms go.

The E-702 should cover your longest lens.

And this piece of gear is rugged and will withstand torrential rain. I know there are cheaper options, but they are not permanent - this is a permanent option.

Glenn

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:45 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

There are a few threads on FM about pictures from Lofoten. You might check them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:51 AM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

Seems like I mixed up two photographers. Jack Brauer traveled from the south to north in Norway and documented it well in his blog.

http://www.mountainphotographer.com/category/norway/

Roger

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:14 PM
syedabbas

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

@Roger - Thanks a bunch for sharing the links, both portfolios have some real good pictures of Norway!!

@Glenn - I ordered the Kata E-702 from Amazon! Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking for something to protect my gear from rain after the suggestions on the forum but didn't know which one to go for. This looks really good!!

@Philber - I will definitely search the forum for Lofoten pictures!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What equipment on the trip to Norway?

syedabbas wrote:
@Roger - Thanks a bunch for sharing the links, both portfolios have some real good pictures of Norway!!

@Glenn - I ordered the Kata E-702 from Amazon! Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking for something to protect my gear from rain after the suggestions on the forum but didn't know which one to go for. This looks really good!!

@Philber - I will definitely search the forum for Lofoten pictures!!

I think you will like it - many balk at the cost. But I know that I would quit and get out of the rain before the camera with the Kata would have to.

Congratulations.

Glenn

Jan 19, 2012 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password