Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon reduces repair support amongst repair shops

MrMcNikon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon reduces repair support amongst repair shops

Today Via UPS Overnight, a letter came to most small camera repair shops across the US stating:
Nikon Inc. has decided that it will no longer make repair parts available for purchase by repair facilities that are not authorized by Nikon Inc. to perform camera repairs.

I am personally a Nikon guy and have a lot of money tied up in Nikon equipment. However, after hearing news today across the online repair community (Tech-Net), I am questioning how long I will stay with Nikon.

What if I need a new battery door replaced? Or my LCD screen breaks? Or, the rubber grips on my D700 or D300s start pealing off? Do I have to send it in for repair?

Because Nikon Inc. announced that it will no longer provide repair parts to independent repair facilities across the US, I assume all repairs must be sent directly to an Authorized Repair Facilities. This also means your local camera repair shop, most likely won't be able to help you In addition, this allows Nikon to charge whatever they want for repair. Potentially pushing you into buying a new camera. This almost sounds like they're trying to create a monopoly.

All of this translates into higher repair prices and longer delays in getting items repaired.

What are your thoughts?

Jan 16, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon reduces repair support amongst repair shops

Nikon has been reneging on their repair liabilities going on three years now, at least in the US where "impact damage" has been an oft-used way to deny warranty claims. Apparently warranty service was costing them too much money (to which I reply, too bad -- build a better product).

My guess is that this is an escalation and now their intent is to turn parts and service into a profit center, much as are the parts counter and service bays at any auto dealership or even the CT-scan machine at your local hospital.

If Nikon needs to divest itself of excess customers, screwing them on warranty claims and then over-charging for repairs (if that become a reality) should get the job done.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon reduces repair support amongst repair shops

Or more likely, this is Nikon USA's way of completely killing off gray market.

I had posted in the Nikon section asking for advice on buying a used gray market lens. The advice I got back was go ahead, just to know that Nikon won't touch it, so any repairs needed to go to an independent repair shop.

I'd watch for this announcement to be followed up by one from the repair shops announcing they will only fix US models and the rest must be shipped to where they came from for the needed service.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon reduces repair support amongst repair shops

MrMcNikon wrote:
I am personally a Nikon guy and have a lot of money tied up in Nikon equipment. However, after hearing news today across the online repair community (Tech-Net), I am questioning how long I will stay with Nikon.

BTW, Tech-Net's site is http://www.camtechnet.com/, but there's no news on this there.
There is here though.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 17, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password