p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

images posted in the first post.

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Alanu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Hey Kevindar,

Both of my 5dmk2's work fine with my 24Lmk11. Kevindar I would swap the lens just to see if its a copy variation.

Jan 16, 2012 at 02:27 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Alan, I will do one more test tomorrow, and if the results remain the same, then contact Adorama and see how I can arrange for an exchange. Its a little disappointing. I have learned to live with this with my sigma 50. just dont expect it from a 1500, canon L lens. never had focusing issues with any of the canon high end lenses.

Jan 16, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Dont give up just yet

I'll admit I was concerned about buying a 24Lmk2 since I've heard the earlier versions of the MK2 to have focus issues.

I will have to say I'm really appreciating the perspective I get with a 24mm on a full frame. My 35L is the "safe, normal perspective" lens I use for semi-wide angle.

I'm assuming the copy you have is bad. If your not having any issues with your 35L on your 5dmk2 the new 24l you just purchased is the culprit of bad focus. I agree red ring lens should be rock solid in AF.....well unless you own a 50L :P

Jan 16, 2012 at 02:57 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

no issues with the 35L, or the much slower 85L. out of focus shots out of those are rare, and are slightly out of focus, due to user error, or shallow dof, and just asking too much from autofocus. The 24 seems to be off by a lot at times, on stationary objects. I do really like the perspective, and its a wonderful video lens as well.

Jan 16, 2012 at 03:23 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Same problem with my 24l II. Went back for focus adjustment about 4 times and now it is better, bur definitely not perfect. Focus issues are my number one reason why I am thinking of moving to nikon soon.

Jan 16, 2012 at 09:33 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

OK. final update, after extensive testing, the focus is just inconsistent. I tried mfa adjusting it for hours, and found out between mfa 0 to -9, I have some in focus and some out of focus shots. if I mount it on a tripod, with a very good contrasty target, non reflective, side lit, in excellent light, and repeatedly press the autofocus button on center focus, it moves all over the place. about 4-5 out of 10 or correct focus, and the rest are out of focus, and can be so by a fair bit. I then mounted my 35 1.4, and 85 1.2. tried it with same subject distance as well as same framing, and there is very little adjustment/variation in the focus ring moves at all with those lenses. Its going back for an exchange. I called Adorama, and have to say, they were very cool about it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

my 24LII sucked badly on my 7d. Horrible back focus. Never could fix it, even with MFA. I sold both. My 35L is amazing on my 5D.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

You are making me a little nervous, Kevin, as I have not used my 24L much since I bought it about a month ago and I have an important shoot next month. Are you saying that this inconsistent focussing happens only on your 7D ... or both, the 7D and 5D II?

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

bobbytan wrote:
You are making me a little nervous, Kevin, as I have not used my 24L much since I bought it about a month ago and I have an important shoot next month. Are you saying that this inconsistent focussing happens only on your 7D ... or both, the 7D and 5D II?

Bobby,
You have the lens already - why don't you just test it exhaustively yourself and rely on your own findings? Mine works like a charm, not a hint of inconsistent focusing with any body I have but again, it is more yours that counts.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

AGeoJO wrote:
Bobby,
You have the lens already - why don't you just test it exhaustively yourself and rely on your own findings? Mine works like a charm, not a hint of inconsistent focusing with any body I have but again, it is more yours that counts.

Yeah, I guess I will have to do that. When I did the micro AF adjustment it appeared to be fairly consistently ... and I said "fairly" only because I was checking it while hand-holding the camera ... but it's darn close to target. Need to recheck it properly, on a tripod. It would suck if you shoot at f1.4 only to find out later that the zone of focus is off.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:12 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

bobby, If I had not packed it away to ship, I would do a video and post it.
the focus inconsistency unfortunately happens on both bodies. Admittedly, I may be more anal than the average guy, and reading some of the amazon reviews with people complaining about focus issues, let me to do exhaustive testing, that I may not have done.
However, it definitely, without a doubt or question, is not as consistent focusing as my 35 1.4 or 85 1.2. and when it misses, it can miss by enough to render image out of focus even at f2 (look at my example on the first post). Most of my testing is on 5dII which is the body I will be using this lens on. It is also definitely slower focusing than my 35L, but that may be normal. if the focus is nailed, sharpness is very good.
I tried this on the MFA target test on screen, as well as a paper printed target test. I also used the lens, with the same results (at 1.4, I would say only 30% shots are spot on, 40 % or soft b/c slightly oof, and then about 30% are pretty soft. I kept on thinking maybe its subject movement, or light, or whatever...., thats why I did all the controlled testing.
Now, the lens is very well reviewed on b&h. so I would not get nervous if your copy was working fine. Honestly the lens also has about the same (maybe slightly worse) focus consistency than my sigma 50 1.4, but that is my most focus riddled lens, and I did not pay 1500 for and L lens, to get anything less than 90% reasonably accurate focus rate.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

kevindar wrote:
bobby, If I had not packed it away to ship, I would do a video and post it.
the focus inconsistency unfortunately happens on both bodies. Admittedly, I may be more anal than the average guy, and reading some of the amazon reviews with people complaining about focus issues, let me to do exhaustive testing, that I may not have done.
However, it definitely, without a doubt or question, is not as consistent focusing as my 35 1.4 or 85 1.2. and when it misses, it can miss by enough to render image out of focus even at f2 (look at my
...Show more

I have found a certain degree of focusing issues with ANY lens on my Canon bodies if it is f/2 or faster.
Although the Canon 50 1.4 is the one that really stands out in a bad way, more than the others.

That said, and it's hard to say for sure since exact nature of lighting, subject, distance can greatly alter results, but it seems like your 24 is likely having more focusing issues than mine, but again hard to say for sure. You say that even with the target that has worked out to be the single most favorable for it and that under the single most favorable lighting for it (not what you think would be most favorable since that can be deceptive, but what actually works out to be most favorable through testing) that it still only hits 50% in focus below f/2?

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:34 PM
user222
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

kevindar wrote:
the focus inconsistency unfortunately happens on both bodies.

Have you tried this? It worked for me, and it worked for other people too.
I wouldn't send my lens/body to canon without trying this first. There's nothing to lose.

A Hard Reset is simply removing the battery and also (while the battery door is open) removing the ‘watch’ battery that keeps the date/time stored. You’ll lose your date/time setting as well as your image numbering. Fortunately, all your custom settings are not lost (including your custom menu).

Once you remove both batteries, let the camera sit no less than 1 hour. Anything less doesn’t seem to fix the issue.

http://www.michaelmiles.com/2010/03/06/answer-fixing-canon-7d-focus-issue/

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:08 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Skibum, I would say at f2, the focus rate is around 60% or so. at f 1.4 the nailed it focus rate, even with a stationary subject is only around 30%, which is by far the worse of any lens that I have. unless canon took a major step backward in design of this lens, it should be focusing better. the other big thing is, with my other fast primes, if the focus is off, it is often off by a little bit. this can be by a fair bit.
this is not a great light, but not too dark either. this is at f 1.4, very good target. Look how out of focus it is. that never happens with any of my other lenses
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6721775037_f7d033f510_b.jpg

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

Whoa ... that's completely off! That shouldn't happen with the center AF point. Better luck with your replacement copy. Since you are not too far from the Irvine Canon Center I would suggest that you take it to Canon if this happens with your replacement copy. Probably better to get Canon to check and fix the problem than trying different copies. And I feel sorry for the bloke who will end up with your bad copy!

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

bobbytan wrote:
Whoa ... that's completely off! That shouldn't happen with the center AF point.

That's how my shots were looking when I tried the 24L II on three different T2i bodies! Seventy percent of the shots were like that on each of the 3 bodies. But that same lens worked great on a 40D and was only giving me about 10% out of focus on a 5D classic in testing like what was done above with the Cream Wheat box.

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:28 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

User222, thanks for the battery trick. NO I have not tried it, and it is an option. Lens is already on the UPS truck back. Given that I generally dont have focusing issues with my other lenses (about 10 of them). If the second copy has the same issue, I will do that.
I also do not believe on sending a copy of brand new lens to canon for calibration. been there, done that. Sometimes, they can fix it, sometimes, they cant. in all cases they send it back saying its fixed. Meantime it will be weeks that I am out of equipment, have to play repeated shipping back (some times) and may end up with a crappy lens that I can no longer return. Then I will have the terrible ethical dilemma of should I unload this on a non suspecting poor guy on FM, POTN, or Craigslist, which I just find morally objectionable. If it does not work right for me out of the box, I have paid premium price for it, and test it thoroughly enough that I am confident its not user error, its going back .
Bobby, the cream of wheat shot, I did 2 in a row at that distance, and they were both out of focus by this much. this is sandwitched between 2 shots (different distances, one closer, on further) of spot on focus, and one of acceptable focus.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:10 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · canon 24 1.4II on 5d2

kevindar wrote:
Skibum, I would say at f2, the focus rate is around 60% or so. at f 1.4 the nailed it focus rate, even with a stationary subject is only around 30%, which is by far the worse of any lens that I have. unless canon took a major step backward in design of this lens, it should be focusing better. the other big thing is, with my other fast primes, if the focus is off, it is often off by a little bit. this can be by a fair bit.
this is not a great light, but not too dark either.
...Show more

wider angle lenses often have more trouble focusing on messy scenes

one weird thing is I was aiming my 5D2+24 around the room and all of a sudden there was this one book and it just could not would not focus on it and the focus was always on something else and no other target in the room was even 1/4 as bad

1 in 3 does sound low though, although it depends upon your tolerances and subjects,etc.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:46 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.