New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

I am thinking of getting one of these. Want to try this out for landscape and don't shoot this wide often enough to justify the Canon at its price.

Looking for experiences from folks who have this and would love to see some landscape shots as well.

Bottom line, any reason I should not get this?

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

It's manual focus (Not even focus confirmation on Canon), manual exposure and have high distortion. I have not test it personally but mine is arriving tomorrow. I have read good reviews on it.
Fred

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:19 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

My copy of this lens just arrived today. Here are a few quick shots with it taken with my 5D II. I think I'm going to like this lens. It gives me just that extra bit more than my 16-35.

As you can see, there is some distortion on vertical lines in the center of the photos. But for landscape or other work where straight verticals are not critical I think it will be fine.

wide open

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Peter de Weerdt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

The moustache distortion is what is the most negative aspect of this lens. A good lens profile with PT lens, Adobe lens pofiler or other software solves this issue completely with hardly negative side effects on image quality as a result of local resampling of the bits. The perfomance is as good as the best 14mm lenses, I find it even better than Canon's 14L. It lacks chromatic abberations and field curvature which are a plague for most ultra wide angles. Astigmatism and coma are well suppressed.

I think the above shared pictures show quite well what this lens is capable of, including the moustache distortion on the photo of the stairs. As said, that is not hard to process anyway.

I have one and find it a great lens on my 1DsmkIII, and I don't even hesitate to use it for architecture in combination with the PT-lens based profile I developed for my copy. Highly recommended for ultra wide users with EOS cameras that have live view for manual focussing. For cameras with no live view you'll have to get used to the manual focus, but even then the great DOF is forgiving a lot and it's not to difficult to even estimate the plane of focus. Use your eyes though, because the focussing scale isn't very precise and varies between different copies of the lenses that I have seen and used. I had mine calibrated for that reason.

At this price it's a bargain that makes one think it's to good to be true. But believe me it is! An optical jewel in disguise.

Peter

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

I have to second everything that Peter says.
I received one of the very first batch from the European importers and use it on a !DsMkII with PTlens for correction when necessary - highly recommended.

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:37 PM
VernH
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Peter de Weerdt wrote:
For cameras with no live view you'll have to get used to the manual focus, but even then the great DOF is forgiving a lot and it's not to difficult to even estimate the plane of focus. Use your eyes though, because the focussing scale isn't very precise and varies between different copies of the lenses that I have seen and used. I had mine calibrated for that reason.

At this price it's a bargain that makes one think it's to good to be true. But believe me it is! An optical jewel in disguise.

Peter

Peter where did you get the lens calibrated? If you did it yourself, how did you do it?
Thanks,
Vern

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Peter de Weerdt wrote:
The moustache distortion is what is the most negative aspect of this lens. A good lens profile with PT lens, Adobe lens pofiler or other software solves this issue completely with hardly negative side effects on image quality as a result of local resampling of the bits. The perfomance is as good as the best 14mm lenses, I find it even better than Canon's 14L. It lacks chromatic abberations and field curvature which are a plague for most ultra wide angles. Astigmatism and coma are well suppressed.

I think the above shared pictures show quite well what this lens
...Show more

Oh no...now they are gonna raise the price!!!

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:39 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

^ got your's just in time, Fred
Over on the Nikon side they offer a chipped version for $50 more. Not a big deal on the 14mm
but really nice to have on the 85 f1.4 (probably Rokinon's greatest offering thus far, from where I'm sittin')

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ got your's just in time, Fred
Over on the Nikon side they offer a chipped version for $50 more. Not a big deal on the 14mm
but really nice to have on the 85 f1.4 (probably Rokinon's greatest offering thus far, from where I'm sittin')

Yeah, I thought about getting the Nikon and an EOS adapter. But then, I will not be using AF confirmation for this. Could be useful for the 85mm. Let me guess, you have them all?

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Our leader wrote: Yeah, I thought about getting the Nikon and an EOS adapter. But then, I will not be using AF confirmation for this. Could be useful for the 85mm. Let me guess, you have them all?
almost, Fred. I passed on trying their 35 because of...wait for it...the red ring
Well, THAT and I have the Nikon 35 f1.4G.

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:13 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Fred, AF confirmation chip is just $20-30 by itself.

I don't see the advantage for getting Nikon mount with additional EOS adapter. Wouldn't EOS mount version with separate AF Conf. chip kit make more sense?

AF Conf. chip does not work too accurately for wide angle lenses from my understanding. Works great for my Rok 85mm f1.4 however.

Samyang also has a 24mm lens in the works. Look forward to that one as well.

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

jwin wrote:
Fred, AF confirmation chip is just $20-30 by itself.

I don't see the advantage for getting Nikon mount with additional EOS adapter. Wouldn't EOS mount version with separate AF Conf. chip kit make more sense?

AF Conf. chip does not work too accurately for wide angle lenses from my understanding. Works great for my Rok 85mm f1.4 however.

Samyang also has a 24mm lens in the works. Look forward to that one as well.

I didn't realized the Nikon version was more expensive and I already have the Nikon to EOS adapter. I got the 14mm for the Canon. I would only use LV on this lens.
For those that want AF confirmation on the 14mm...Did you get the chip by itself and glued on the lens mount or got the adapter ring with the chip on it? I'm guessing all from "the bay"?
Fred

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:52 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

In addition to the AF confirmation, having the EXIF information is a benefit if the AF confirm chips can be "chipped" with the focal length/max aperture. Getting a chip and gluing on the mount is the way to go.

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:59 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Another question - these are branded by Rokinon, Samyang as well as Bell+Howell. Any of them preferred over the other in terms of build quality etc.

Jan 12, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Based upon the interest shown in this Samyang 14 thread, here is a comparison to the legendary Zeiss 21. The objective was two fold:
Firstly the issue was to see if PT Lens visually diminished the sharpness of the Samyang (Rokinon branded) 14 f2.8 image captured on a 5DII. This distortion correction software for the Rokinon is not embeded into the Breezebrowser RAW conversion, as it is for the Zeiss 21. Rather it is a tool added as a Photoshop filter in post. The same test was performed with the Zeiss Distagon 21 f2.8, but PT Lens action was done as part of the RAW conversion. By switching back and forth one can readily see the changes in barrel (mustache) distortion correction being applied by PT Lens. While the Zeiss is being used as a control for the Rokinon application of PT Lens, one can contrast the overall sharpness and FOV of the Rokinon Vs the benchmark of wide angle lenses, the Zeiss 21.
These are presented in a larger size than I normally post so that one can see both the full frame effects of distortion inherent in these lenses as well as any changes in the sharpness of detail. Other than final, default sharpening of Topaz InFocus applied uniformly to all 4 images, there is no editing except downsampling to JPEG presentation size; I even left in the sensor dust bunny at the top. The Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco was convenient, well lit target, and has lots of parallel straight lines for this test.
Edit: the comparison is obvious if you can open these images under different tabs and flip back and forth. I have modified the URLs so each will open onto another page.

First the Rokinon 14 WITHOUT PT Lens, shot at f8
http://www.fototime.com/E4921D3AEFB27A4/orig.jpg

the identical Rokinon 14 TIFF file processed the WITH PT Lens
http://www.fototime.com/2813A9D64471BA5/orig.jpg
Open both images and tab them back and forth. Notice how the edges of the frame come forward and the center of the frame gets further away? This has the overall illusion of making the subject seem a bit smaller (distant). It looks as if there is some vignetting compensation too, but there is no way for the program to know what f stop is being used. I studied this at 100% looking for some obvious decrease in sharpness, and decided if any, it was pretty minimal. Some pixels may be added where the image has to expand a bit at the edges, but it seems as though most of the distortion correction is in taking out extra pixels in the center. The fine detail subjectively has the comparable resolution in both images.

Next we compare the a similar style mustache distortion correction by PT Lens on the output of the Zeiss Distigon 21 f2.8. Shot at f 5.6 (optimum sharpness for this lens) WITHOUT PT lens.
http://www.fototime.com/213697195251D53/orig.jpg

and the same RAW file converted WITH PT Lens as an automated Breezebrowser filter.
http://www.fototime.com/7A07962F7D9FCD9/orig.jpg
the distortion is not as accentuated in the center of the frame, but the action carries more towards the edges (see the dust bunny move). My assessment of 100% pixel peeping was that there was no change in image sharpness.

Finally compare the Rokinon Vs the Zeiss: image 1 Vs 3 and image 2 Vs 4. Obviously the 14mm image has a wider fov and smaller details than the 21mm image, don't expect them to be identical. Downsampling of the Zeiss shot could be done with cropping of the Rokinon, but thats another software action affecting IQ. Suffice it to say that the Rokinon does pretty well in comparison, as it is less than $400 at Amazon and the Zeiss more than $1800.

I am in no way affiliated with PT Lens, but its a reasonable $25 program, with a free trial period.
Mike K

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

PT Lens looks awesome but I wanted to stay RAW.
Did you try the Lightroom profile for the Rokinon 14mm from here:
http://www.4photos.de/test/Samyang-14mm-2.8-en.html

If so, how did it compare to the results you get from PT lens? I'm mostly interested in preserving detail and don't mind a little more cropping.
Best,
Fred

Edited on Jan 14, 2012 at 02:19 AM

Jan 13, 2012 at 09:13 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Fred,
I just got the 14mm & I use CS5.
Found the profile on-line & after figuring out what folder it's supposed to be in, applied the correction. Worked like magic.

I'm goin' a bit crazy with these Samyang offerings.
Have the 35 and the 14 now.
Going to look at an 85 tomorrow and waiting for the 24 to come out.

I NEVER thought I would get into primes, but these are nice.

Dan

Jan 14, 2012 at 01:21 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

Thanks for linking my site with the profile.
The PTLens profile is based on on of my images too. I think the PTLens correction is better than my Adobe lens profile. On my site you linked are comparions images with these corrections - but contrast is a bit changed in Lightroom.

My Samyang 14/2.8 need DIY repair or modification, because of the bad mechanics of that lens. Take care with your Samyang lenses - they are very delicate!
The 35/1.4 internals seem to break easily, the 85/1.4 has often a stuck iris. The 14/2.8 has sometimes stuck iris (it is younger) and that not correct focus scale seems pretty normal. Furthermore there are sometimes heavy "decentred" 14/2.8 around - I suppose because of some loos screws in the lens barrel.

Edited on Jan 14, 2012 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2012 at 06:44 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

great threads. just a few things.
I have the focus confirmation chip, but found the zone in which it tells me I am in focus is very wide, and did not find it very useful. however, it does have the focal length exif built in.
I have been using the acr profile, I downloaded from a German Page for the 5DII. I am very happy with the results. excellent distortion correction without visible loss of resolution. however, you loos probably 1/2 mm from the corners. as good as pt lens is, for me having a workflow in lightroom is critical.
As others have said, the lens has very little CA, and excellent sharpness. My cope is slightly sharper in the corner that is nikon 14-24 at 2.8, and a lot less flare prone. the nikon has more field curvature. but of course here we are comparing a zoom with a prime. by f 5.6 nikon catches up marginally exceeds. the samyang.
the focus markings on the lens are not very reliable. for best results, use live view.
Finally, here is a thread that I started with plenty of samples and thoughts on the lens (I hope this is Ok to link to Fred)
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=909272&highlight=samyang

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang/Rokinon 14mm prime

I have the Rokinon 14,35 and 85. I probably like the 14 and 35 about equall-they are both very sharp and seem well made. Samyang has an Adobe correction for distortion on their Facebook site so that's an option if you don't want to go the pt lens route which is also very good. I don't use the 85 much because I have such a good canon 85 1.8 and auto focus is nice to have in that focal length for portraits etc. The 14 is an easy choice over the overpriced Canon unless you NEED autofocus and with the depth of field I don't see why that would be an issue. The focus scale was not accurate on mine, but I just did some measurements with live view and made my own mark for pretty accurate distance focusing.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.