Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Acratech ultimate brass detent pin

acs55812

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acratech ultimate brass detent pin

This looks like a fairly important feature, is my thinking correct in that it prevents camera and lens from falling off be accident?

Any reason that with some reasonable care this couldn't be added to the older style that doesn't have it put in at the factory?

Thanks
Dan

Jan 11, 2012 at 06:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acratech ultimate brass detent pin

RRS has it on various plates as needed (not the clamp). mostly lens plates and not camera body ones. they are also ment to be removable (as wanted). i have yet to drop one out of the slot and i've been using the system since 1991.
all hollowed ot plate should work. but there might be positioning issues with some.

NIKON D700    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    f/22.0    2s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jan 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:01 PM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acratech ultimate brass detent pin

A spring-loaded detent pin is different from the stop screws on the RRS plate Steve shows above. Those stop screws are designed to catch in relief grooves cut into the top of the clamp.

The pin is also a safety feature and is designed to catch in the cutouts you see in the plate bottom in the pic. Many don't like the safety pin, I do and have used them for years but have always bought Markins clamps that have these pins. You could probably custom-machine an older clamp for a pin but it's probably less expensive to buy a new clamp that's got one fitted already.

Jan 13, 2012 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password