Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · terrible post processing?

smallrewards
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · terrible post processing?

Hey, I am wondering how ridiculous my pp attempts were. I did not have this shot in raw, so I was a little limited, but, I tried many attempts, ended with this that i thought was cool, but oversharpened. Let me know what you think!
Here was my edit:

Fighting for Air 2 by bmglen, on Flickr

Here was the original

DSC00267 by bmglen, on Flickr
Well, I have been wanting to join in on the weekly assignment...not a chance at winning but just for fun...but I guess that is not going to happen since I can not seem to post pictures in that section. The instructions say it can be done, but...no luck for me... I dont have a "mountain picture button" in order to link, and for some reason everytime I enter the bbcode I used on this thread it says they cant download the image, and if I play around with the coding I can get it to say exif info expected.
Then i uploaded to some other sites, and it said only one image allowed, apparently my HDR attempts said 2 images? So I edited the above shot, which was a normal exposure single shot, but couldnt get past no exif data or failed download. Oh well! (they were resized to 640 as well)

Jan 11, 2012 at 05:12 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · terrible post processing?

Over-cooked. Over sharpened and over-saturated. Remember that in flat lighting, increasing mid-tone contrast can help an image look sharper. I don't recall whether you mentioned what tool/s you use, but sharpening advice can be complicated and tool dependent. I use PS CS5 and usually use Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen for sharpening and usually use either the Clarity slider in ACR and/or us Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask at slider settings of about 16, 60, 0 to boost mid-tone contrast. Beware of over sharpening. (Whole books have been written on the subject of sharpening, BTW.)

Can't suggest how to handle posting images. I had a problem with it when I joined and solved it by subscribing because I didn't want to bother to figure out another way and figured it also might help support the forum. How you save the image determines whether the EXIF is saved. If you Save for Web & Devices in PS, be sure you tick the box for Embed Color Profile.

When posting images, mine have ordinary EXIF data even when combined by Photomatix. (Check my previous Moon example.)

Jan 11, 2012 at 05:47 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · terrible post processing?

Overcooked by conventional photographic standards but an interesting impressionistic rendering of an otherwise ordinary shot. But what I think the quality of the scene you lost in your edit is the somewhat scary impression of the trees as a surrealistic tunnel in the middle of the woods that dares you to walk through it threatening to reach down and grab you if you dare try. Something more like this....

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/WoodsImpression.jpg

Granted that might not have been your impression when you saw it but something about the trees must have inspired you to stop and capture them. But I'm not feeling it in your edit. Become one with the Force (of nature) and let your mental impressions and imagination guide your edits. Start with an imaginary storyline like one I created above then try to convey it visually.

Jan 11, 2012 at 02:40 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · terrible post processing?

Or, if you want to abuse it as an oil, you could apply the Pixel Bender PS plugin, make a duplicate layer and apply the Soft Light blending mode.

As an oil impressionist version

An oil with vignette

Soft light blended with vignette, no oil

Jan 11, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · terrible post processing?

Late to pitch in, but perhaps something in the BW area?

I love the area and trees!

Regards,

Bob

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · terrible post processing?

Took a stab (or two ) at it.

Tried to pull out the elements a bit, i.e. the tree bark/moss, the rustling leaves, the distant field, etc. to help move your eye around a bit. Otherwise, it seemed very busy to me and my eye really didn't know where it oughta go. Still kinda busy, but I gave it a go.

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lylejk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · terrible post processing?

Took it to a darker time of day.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/732/6677179401b8ba5907f7b.jpg

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · terrible post processing?

Enchanted Forest ... not my style, but pretty cool ... nice "out of the box" thinking.

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · terrible post processing?

Where is Harry Potter and the unicorn?

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:42 PM
lylejk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · terrible post processing?

Have to admit that I had Avatar in mind when I started doing this one. lol

Yeah; wacky I am. Thanks for the comments too.

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · terrible post processing?

"If you go down to the woods today. You're sure of a big surprise."

Who took my picnic basket?

Jan 12, 2012 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password