Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice on Canon upgrade

lcraigphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice on Canon upgrade

I'm getting some bookings for weddings in the summer but all l've been using for gear is a Canon T2i. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 5D Mark ii. If I do this, what should my first lens purchase be? I have an EF 50 f1.8 now, but will want a better multipurpose lens I can use for weddings.

Jan 10, 2012 at 08:12 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Advice on Canon upgrade

You might get a better response on the weddings forum, but if I did weddings (which I don't), my first lens would be a 24-70 f/2.8L and a decent flash. Keep the T2i for a backup.

Jan 10, 2012 at 09:21 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Advice on Canon upgrade

The 24-70mm on the 5D and a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 zoom on the T2i will give you a good start on a kit. Down the road you can upgrade the T2i to a 7D or something comparable.

I would probably go with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 instead of the Canon 24-70mm and use the extra $1000 for a used 16-35mm f2.8 II lens. Reasons are the greater range and the unreliability of the Canon 24-70mm lens in terms of accurate autofocus. Many wedding photographers dumped their Canon 24-70mm zooms and either went with primes for this range (as I did) or bought the Tamron lens. Problem is 28mm is not nearly as wide as 24mm and that is why the recommendation to buy a new or used 16-35mm f2.8 II version lens as well.

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password