Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Harbour

fracas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Harbour

Hi everybody,
what do yuou think of this shot? Anay suggestion for improving it in post?

Thanks
Francesco

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Harbour

It's too bright for a night scene and saturated overall for my tastes. In terms of picture elements there are four eye catching centers of interest, the church on the hill and its strong reflection and the guy in the foreground and the red boat in the foreground which form a triangle with the white boat in the middle of it.

In the edit below I cropped in tighter on the boat and guy to make those elements like bookends framing the church, then I desaturated and adjusted tonality with adjustment layers.

Jan 10, 2012 at 01:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Harbour

I took a different spin on it ... i.e. early morning dawn breaking behind the mountain/hillside.

I mostly worked on color cast to pull back some (not all) of the strong blue from the overhead sky toning much of the harbor white's. Sharpening & exposure mods also. Slight crop, but +1 @ Chuck regarding competing elements, i.e. busy scene.

Edited on Jan 10, 2012 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:12 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Harbour

I applied a couple curves adjustments with some selective coloring.. and a crop

Edited on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2012 at 04:54 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #5 · Harbour

Thanks to you all for your suggestions ... for your info, it was an evening scene

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:53 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Harbour

I find the bright foreground a bit distracting. Perhaps select it and adjust the exposure and gamma to darken it. Also, try using Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights to open the shadows somewhat:

Jan 10, 2012 at 08:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fracas
• •
p.1 #7 · Harbour

Thanks AuntiPode, two good ideas!

Jan 11, 2012 at 08:57 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Harbour

The problem compositionally for me with this shot is the guy in the foreground. Him being in the photo doesn't add anything interesting to the storyline here for me because I don't know him personally and can't recognize him from the back. So for me he's a brightly lit blight on an otherwise blissful harbor shot.

My "rule of thumb" for whether or not something in a photo is a distraction or not is the "Would you miss it?" test. For example if you first saw the photo like this....

--- would you think "Hey, why isn't there a guy sitting on the dock with his back turned to the camera in the shot?" Probably not, so that's a clue that all things considered the photo might work better without the guy sitting on the dock in the photo. Sometimes the best approach to deal with distractions is to just crop them out rather than trying to tone them down as I did with my first edit.

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:19 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #9 · Harbour

cgardner, another interesting suggestion from you! thanks again

cheers, francesco

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Harbour

Or, you could select the foreground subject and dock and put him into silhouette to render the foreground as compositional negative space:

Jan 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #11 · Harbour

I like it, AuntiPode! Thank you very much, francesco

Jan 12, 2012 at 07:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password