Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

WestCoastSnapp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

I may have an opportunity to spend three weeks in the High Arctic with a Helicopter Operations crew. The company want me to document life in the never never for their peeps who fly and support the aircraft.

I get 3 weeks of free helicopter rides to take my pics as long as I come up with stuff for the chopper company.

One particular thing they want is internal sots of the pilot working. So I guess I'm shooting from either the co-pilot seat or the rear cargo area on the larger machines like the 205 and the 212.

Have any of you shot inside a chopper before? Will my 24 - 70 2.8 be wide angle enough or should i grab a 14 - 24 for this?

I'm sooooo freekin excited about this. My friend is the pilot and he gets to go some places that 98% of humanity can only dream of. Especially a photographer like me.

Any suggestions for these internal shots are appreciated. I have a 50mm 1.4 too. Long rage lenses I have covered well for out the window stuff.

Will share for sure if I get this trip up North.

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:25 AM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

Richard , you might want to post this on

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/2119#,

Keep in mind this opportunity will allow you some unique shots. Put in proper priority make sure you develop a script of the shots that depict their jobs, challenges, and perspectives. Depending on you time available and current skill set, the 14-24 would be an asset, I love mine, however many people buy it and don't like it. You want to take equipment that you are familiar with , do not try to learn on the job, IMO. Shots will appear quickly and then they are gone.
You will need flash for the inside shots, this is a great op, good luck.

Gerard

Jan 10, 2012 at 08:16 PM
WestCoastSnapp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

Thanks Gerard.

It is a great opportunity. I'm hoping my D3s will allow me not to have to use flash in the cockpit. Light is pretty good there when it's not snowing!

The story is the easy part. Pictures should be challenging and staying alive the hardest part. I have to buy an aviation survival/immersion suit....$2100.00 and they recommend a Benelli S4, 12 gauge too.

I have not deployed form a chopper with a weapon since my days with the Royal Marines. 20 years ago!

I may buy a 12 - 24 to take but as you mention practice first.....then sell once I'm back. for my sports shooting the 24 - 70 is good enough.

I'll make sure to post if I get to go.....which is likely.

RH.

Jan 10, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

RH -It sounds like it should be a great trip. I also have a D3s but remember internal shooting you will always have backlighting. I'd take along at least SB700 as faces tell the story. Can't wait to see the posts.
Its been 40 years since I've been in a chopper, they may have better lights inside then when I last rode.
Good luck on your trip.

Gerard

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM
WestCoastSnapp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

I'll pack the lot Gerard.

I do have an SB-800 but don't really know have I manage to work it.

I'd really like to buy a 400 prime for this gig but with suits and crikey knows what else it may be impossible.

R.

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:27 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

Depending on circumstances you may want to rent a Kenyon Gyro Stabilizer.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

I have shot from a helicopter a few times but with a telephoto(70-200) and 600mm. The backlighting was no problem but the blade rotation shuddering was at ISO's under 400.
The pilot did hover to stabalize the shake and that allowed me to go down to 250 wide open with no blurring.
Just bear that in mind...you probably already have but I thought I would just mention that.
Good flying and shooting!
Dan

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:06 PM
jason.alabama
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

I have shot once from a helicopter. In my case it was five of us jammed into an area that could fit four comfortably. Therefore, space is usually at a premium (depends on the type of helicopter obviously). Therefore, for interior shots in a crowded space, I don't think your 24mm will be wide enough.

Also, a good strap system might be a good idea if the doors are off - let's you hang out for some good shots.

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Glenn Kendall
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

Given that your D3s is FF, and given that the 205 and 212 are substantial helicopters, your 24-70 might be sufficiently wide, even if you're in the c/p's seat shooting the PIC. But if it were me, I'd take both that and your wider glass for the internal shots. And remember that, in a h-copter, the pilot sits on the right side; the c/p on the left. So, for the internal shots, you might want to have your gear configured so that you can swing right with ease .

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM
WestCoastSnapp
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

Thanks Peeps. The input is awesome.......

I'm starting to look at the cost of the whole trip. This first one is on my dime. Have to get to Norman Wells, NT. Feed and house myself. I'm 98% vegi and that will be a challenge in a town where EVERYTHING has to be flown in.

I need a survival suit, a shotgun, and some money to get there and back. To make it worth while i need a 14 - 24 and a 400 prime. I can rent both but i'm not like that. If i need lenses I'll buy em. I have a great business and can lease the whole lot. And I think its worth it.

My buddy the pilot has put me in touch with the company now. They have 140 aircraft flying the North. They need to make their customers aware of what they are doing. Environmentally and Socially. They have HUGE customs like Enbridge.

Initially I thought this might be a nice flight in the north to take pictures from. It's turning into more than that for sure.

If this works out there may be more opportunity. Recently Enbridge had a minute oil leak in the north. Hunters smelled it before it was really found. Enbridge flew in everything to make good. Excavators at $500 an hour plus operator and fuel. They took out every last piece of contaminated soil. They could not find at a moments notice a photographer to document the process.

So the first trip is going to cost me. If I do a good job then the next maybe on their dime?

I can see this whole thing costing me $20K. But for a change of career at 47 to do something that feeds my inner self it may just be worth it?

All I have to do now is justify it to my lovely wife.......

Thanks again.

RH.

Jan 13, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone shot pics in a Helicopter?

I belive I would try and find a sponsor(s) to offset some of that $20K...Lens Rental company maybe...outrigger...donated gear maybe...

I remember watching a video of shots from inside a small aircraft with a full frame and a Canon 17-40 f/4...I think the video was produced by Canon to show off the uses of the 17-40...

Just a thought...

Jefferson

Jan 13, 2012 at 03:39 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password