Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pelican or Bolton

mah644

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pelican or Bolton

Am trying to decide between a Pelican 1510 and an 18" Bolton hard case. The size is comparable and both are adequate for my needs. Weight is not an issue. Pelican has better (or more) padding and is probably easier to padlock and secure. Both have pressure-relief valves and are waterproof (for a while). Color is not a problem.

I fly infrequently and anticipate using the case primarily for home storage and car travel. The Bolton is roughly 1/3 the cost of the Pelican.

Can anyone comment further to assist me before I make a purchase? Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide.

Best Wishes--CARL

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Pelican or Bolton

Can you show a link to the Bolton case

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:46 PM
toddmw

p.1 #3 · Pelican or Bolton

I don't know about the Bolton product, but I have the 1510. The wheels are very durable and the Pelican warranty covers the product for the lifetime. I opted for the padded inserts over the foam because of the flexibility of configuration.

Jan 10, 2012 at 06:03 PM
mah644

p.1 #4 · Pelican or Bolton

www.boltonhardware.com Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click on the illustration.

Jan 11, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Pelican or Bolton

The 1510 is larger than the 18 inch Bolton. For photographic gear, the padded dividers are a much more useful setup than the cut to fit or pluckable foam, and the dividers cost a lot less to get at the beginning than to by a divider set. You should look into the Pelican 1514, which is the 1510 with dividers. And obviously either Pelican does have wheels and a pull out handle, but the Bolton does not.

The price on the two different sizes of cases sold by Bolton is pretty good, but I prefer the dividers. The cases they are selling look a lot like Pelican, and they also look like they have a padlock hole for locking.

Jan 11, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Pelican or Bolton

I can't find any information on their "Unconditional lifetime guarantee of excellence" other than their "Limited warranty page"

I know that Pelican's warranty program works well. I have 30 Pelican cases and have sent several back for replacement - due to MY damaging them. (overloading the lid while open and breaking latches)

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Pelican or Bolton

yep its pretty much if you can break it they will replace it.

Edited on Jan 12, 2012 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #8 · Pelican or Bolton

I have the Pelican case and lovvvvvvvvve it!

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #9 · Pelican or Bolton

Just wanted to chime in on this. I received this today from Amazon - Bolton 20.5 inch case .

For $70 (Amazon), I had to check it out. I have to say, I'm quite impressed by this thing for the price. Slightly bigger than an iM2600 Storm and slightly smaller than 1560. I weigh 180, stood on it (in the middle) and it hardly flexed. Recessed lid gasket, o-ringed valve, heavy duty plastic, etc. All the good stuff I've read about Pelicans, plus 2 extra latches and 2 places for padlocks. Now while I've never had a Pelican, I can confidently say this will take a beating.

Almost wish the UPS guy would've thrown it across my driveway to me. But no, for once, he placed it in my hands. Go figure.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #10 · Pelican or Bolton

I have a Bolton and love it!

My B-I-L works makes Pelican cases and he even said they were nice!

I will admit the Pluck-n-Pull can be a P-I-T-A, but it protects very well.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · Pelican or Bolton

I will pull another card and suggest SKB instead.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #12 · Pelican or Bolton

vsg28 wrote:
I will pull another card and suggest SKB instead.

If I had the money to have purchased a Pelican, I would have considered an SKB after having experience with their stuff being I'm also a bass player and have many musician and DJ friends. SKB makes fantastic cases!

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:31 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #13 · Pelican or Bolton

SKB cases are cheaper than the respective Pelican cases on eBay from reputed dealers, I was doing a lot of research into cases myself and ended up with a bad choice from B&S.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #14 · Pelican or Bolton

There are also Nanuk cases, which seem like they might be very nice. I think they are lighter than the Pelicans, but may be just as strong. I've never held one myself, though.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #15 · Pelican or Bolton

Finally sold my existing bag which I did not like at all, went to a nearby distributor for Pelican and SKB to compare various cases and bought an SKB 3i-2217-10BD (bigger than a Pelican 1610) for $185 w/shipping from these guys: http://cotradeco.com/products/2268-3i-2217-10b-std-waterproof-case-10-quot-deep

I got no affiliation with them, they just gave me a fantastic price when everyone else wanted $75-100 more. I will do a review once I get it but I am pretty ecstatic about this deal.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:25 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #16 · Pelican or Bolton

Got my SKB yesterday and I am very happy with it. Will do a quick review over the weekend; definitely a great contender to Pelican.

Sep 22, 2012 at 04:16 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #17 · Pelican or Bolton

I just purchased the 1514, about $150, the same as the 1510 with dividers.
All I can say is that it is built very well, nice rubber handles, everything is quality.
I love it!!

I actually think it is a good value but I have not tried other products.
This is my first hard case and it will get a lot of use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330237-REG/Pelican_1510_004_110_1514_Carry_On_1510.html

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:12 AM
jason9101

p.1 #18 · Pelican or Bolton

vsg28 wrote:
SKB cases are cheaper than the respective Pelican cases on eBay from reputed dealers, I was doing a lot of research into cases myself and ended up with a bad choice from B&S.

So that means I got looted on eBay, lol.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:49 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #19 · Pelican or Bolton

mah644 wrote:
Am trying to decide between a Pelican 1510 and an 18" Bolton hard case. The size is comparable and both are adequate for my needs. Weight is not an issue. Pelican has better (or more) padding and is probably easier to padlock and secure. Both have pressure-relief valves and are waterproof (for a while). Color is not a problem.

I fly infrequently and anticipate using the case primarily for home storage and car travel. The Bolton is roughly 1/3 the cost of the Pelican.

Can anyone comment further to assist me before I make a purchase? Thanks, in advance, for any information
...Show more

I just purchased my first Pelican case ... 1510 with dividers.. Love it... Pure quality. It will not be my last one. I do not know of the Bolton line. ....

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password