Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · shipping from the US to Canada

boti

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shipping from the US to Canada

Hi US sellers, I'm new to the FM site, as well as new to the buy & sell used gear process. To those of you who have shipped your sold items to a buyer in Canada, would someone please enlighten me, are there issues with customs for example, other hidden costs? Any info. at all is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 09, 2012 at 05:27 PM
laurapalmer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shipping from the US to Canada

I am a buyer in Canada, and in my experience UPS charged a large additional fee (on top of duty/ GST). Using USPS/ Canada Post there have been no issues.

Jan 09, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Mickey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shipping from the US to Canada

I sell to Canada. No problem. Go with USPS and understand (especially for the buyer) that the package may get held up in Canadian customs. Be prepared for a possible two or three week delivery time.

Jan 09, 2012 at 08:41 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shipping from the US to Canada

It is a hit or miss on whether you will get charged extra by bringing things into Canada. Usually it is Sales Tax, in the case of Ontario, Mr McGinty's HST.

I have been charged the Sales Tax on some items by Canada Customs, and on some they have let it through, and I have not yet figured out the criteria for why that has happened. At first I thought it was dollar amount, but that wasn't it.

One thing I have learned, though. Do not under any circumstances use UPS Ground for shipping, their brokerage fees are absolutely outrageous.

Good luck....

Jan 09, 2012 at 08:42 PM
boti

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shipping from the US to Canada

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. UPS Ground does charge less shipping, I guess they make it up by charging the customer brokerage fees upfront, but if it's really hit & miss, in the cases where the customer isn't charged, will they refund the brokerage fee to the customer, I doubt it.

Jan 09, 2012 at 10:51 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shipping from the US to Canada

UPS will always charge brokerage fees. My experience with the hit and miss is with USPS, US Postal Service that gets passed to Canada Post.

Jan 11, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Don Kondra
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shipping from the US to Canada

Your US seller should be aware that the only addition "trouble" they have to go through when shipping to Canada is to fill out a short form at their post office.

Generally shipping to Canada is not any more expensive than shipping within the States. But in order to receive the least expensive rate a parcel will take nine to fourteen days to arrive in Canada.

When using USPS the Canadian buyer may have to pay a $5 fee and the appropriate provincial taxes when it arrives, not all parcels are charged..

Please ask your seller to Never use UPS Ground, their fees are exorbitant.

UPS Expedited on the other hand does not charge additional brokerage fees and the higher cost will result in a two day delivery if that is necessary. Provincial taxes are still collected at delivery.

Cheers, Don

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:10 PM
boti

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shipping from the US to Canada

I just bought a camera from an FM seller in the US.

Mickey is right, it got held up at Canada Customs, but only for 4 days thankfully, just cleared Customs today, but now I'm nervous about the duties I'll have to pay, how do Customs calculate it, based on what price, it's not from a store where there's an invoice.

Yes it's insured so they can tell from the amount insured, but that's not verifiable, people can deliberately lowball it. You see what I mean...maybe after a few times doing this I'll be less nervous, I hope. I wouldn't mind hearing about some of your experiences, especially from Canadian buyers? Thanks in advance...

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:01 AM
Don Kondra
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shipping from the US to Canada

There are no duties on photography equipment.

As I said, you will have to pay a $5 fee and provincial taxes, maybe

Cheers, Don

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:26 AM
boti

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shipping from the US to Canada

Thanks Don, I feel much better now...

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:56 AM
dave9051

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shipping from the US to Canada

Mickey wrote:
I sell to Canada. No problem. Go with USPS and understand (especially for the buyer) that the package may get held up in Canadian customs. Be prepared for a possible two or three week delivery time.

+1

Camera equipment doesn't attract duty in Canada but you will usually be charged HST/GST on the declared value if it isn't a gift.

Dave

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password