Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Radiopoppers VS PocketWizard - For Nikon ?

deklol

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Radiopoppers VS PocketWizard - For Nikon ?

I've had it with this crappy IR line of sight. Yesterdays shoot got blighted because of this, so now I feel like spending even more money on camera gear...

So do avoid these problems with IR I have to have some kind of radio system. The truth is, I invested 350$ in Pixel Knight TR for speedlights a couple months ago, but since they didn't support CLS or any other way to control flash power from the transmitter and other buggy issues I never used it. Oh, they did not support my x2 Sb-600 either, which they didn't bother to tell me until I opened the manual efter I received the package lol.

Anyways, it seems like the PW och RP is the way to go if I want to completely get rid of these issues. I have read a little about the RP (only PX available for me since I live in Europe...) and PW-system. The RP is reading the IR, converting it to radio, send it as radio and the receivers receive the radio signal and convert to IR again. Seems stable and good tbh. With this I can still control 3 groups from my SB-900. Great!

What does the PW do? Is it the same thing? Is to as easy or easier to control the power of off-camera flashes as the RP with CLS?

What do you think? I'm about to put my order today

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:36 PM
dan7768s

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Radiopoppers VS PocketWizard - For Nikon ?

PW mini/flex runs off the signals in the hot shoe, the same as the flash does. It supports eTTL, second curtain sync, and high speed sync. If you add the AC-3 controller to it, and you should, you control flash groups from the camera include setting flash compensation or manual level. You can switch between manual and eTTL from the camera. It also as a mode call hyper-sync which lets you shoot at a higher sync speed without having to switch to high speed sync.

There are quiet of few videos on the http://pocketwizard.com site that show most of these features.

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Radiopoppers VS PocketWizard - For Nikon ?

I posted this in another thread so I just copy and pasted it over here. Just ignore the stuff about the Cyber Syncs...

{From other Post}
Over the past two years I have owned
Cyber syncs (still Own them)
Radio Poppers (Just Sold)
PW TT5s (Just Purchased)

I think unless something changes I am keeping the PW's and the CS's

Im going to keep the CS's for my indoor studio work with my AB's. I like the cyber commander and it allows me to individually control more lights individually then the PW Flex system does. Sp for indoor work with my AB's CS gets the nod.

For outdoor work AB's or any time I use my Nikon flashes PW Flex system gets the nod. For the Nikon Flashes I like the option of TTL or Manual control from my camera. (Cant do that with the CS's).

I just did my first two shoots with the PW system and I had very good range. I was doing full body portraits with a 300mm 2.8 and never had an issue with misfires.

For outdoor use with AB's the ability to use Hyper Sync opens up a lot of options. On my D700 and D7000 I was able to get over 1/5000 of a second with no shadow from the shutter curtain. On the D300 I could go to 1/1250 of a second. Pretty cool if you are trying to over power the sun and still have your aperture wide open.

The last reason for sticking with PW's is the ease of updating firm ware. As PW makes tweaks and improvements you just plug them into your computer and update them.

As for the Radio Poppers the number 1 reason I sold them was the mounting system. I tend to be pretty mobile outside and was having issues with the mounts. This my just have been me as others say the mounts work great I just had bad luck with them.

As far as operation the radio poppers worked great. They are almost invisible as you use your normal flash controls in camera or off a master flash. Nothing new to learn.

Hope this helps. Sorry if its confusing. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more info or have other questions

Greg

Jan 12, 2012 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password