Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

I need to buy a tripod and head for some DSLR video work. I'll be shooting in my home office, and the tripod will never need to leave the room - so it need not be light and portable. The shoots will be relatively static, with me talking to the camera in a chair - so I'm not that concerned about how smoothly it can pan, etc. However, there will be an iPad teleprompter bracket mounted on it in addition to the camera (5DII) and lens (Tamron 28-75), so it needs to be able to handle some weight.

I'd like to spend $200 or less if possible. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:40 AM
SaberOne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

I was all ready to recommend until I read your price point. As it is I'll just throw this out there for the heck of it. Take a look at the new TQC14 w/BH30 Head on page-13 of the RRS 2012 catalog. With the camera bracket the whole get-up would run about 6x your budget but it will last. It's so new that they haven't even listed it on their product page, so I called. I'm hoping to buy it before I return to Italy.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=91

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:24 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of a Manfrotto 190XB and 496RCR2. I'm just not sure how sturdy the 190XB is.

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

SaberOne wrote:
I was all ready to recommend until I read your price point. As it is I'll just throw this out there for the heck of it. Take a look at the new TQC14 w/BH30 Head on page-13 of the RRS 2012 catalog. With the camera bracket the whole get-up would run about 6x your budget but it will last. It's so new that they haven't even listed it on their product page, so I called. I'm hoping to buy it before I return to Italy.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=91

that would be totally in appropriate for video use.
you need something with a little more beef and a fluid type head. the heads price will coincide with is operational smoothness

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:56 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #5 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

sjms,

What about the Manfrotto's I mentioned? Would those work well for this application? Keep in mind I don't need to pan at all - the camera will be stationary on the tripod while I'm sitting in the chair.

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

the manfrotto would do the job excellently. don't shut the future out. what is static now may not be later.

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:59 PM
cantwellian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

I use the Manfrotto 501HDV head on their 351MVB2 sticks, but you can use a less expensive set of legs if you have to save money somewhere... Just don't skimp on the head!

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

You might jump up to the 055-series legs -- more beef than the 190, which will be a little better for video. The previous version was the 3021/3221, which might be cheap used. You could also watch for a used Gitzo series 3 aluminum, which is tough and very stable.

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:07 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #9 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

Like this one?

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Need tripod recommendation for DSLR video

Yup -- exactly. They're tough, inexpensive, and work forever. Every university film/video production program has a pile of them for use with compact/inexpensive cameras, because they just work.

Jan 08, 2012 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password