Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

RobertLynn wrote:
Well, this is the deal with salt water damage.

Some people send them to Canon, and Canon doesn't make ANY mention of it being salt water damaged. They repair it, and if it has any issues down the line, you can send it in as well.

Some people send it in to Canon, and Canon says, "this body is toast".

Some people send them in to Canon, and they say that they will repair it but with no warranty of any kind on it.

For what it's worth, I'm "fairly" certain you can use the Canon loyalty program on this. So say you want
...Show more

i had my local shop send it to canon and had them put no mention of salt water on the work order so we shall see.

and great advice on the canon loyalty program.

Jan 07, 2012 at 10:33 PM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Regarding the lens, you *will* need to have it serviced by Canon. You do not want to continue using the lens while there is sand inside, and you will not be able to clean it out by yourself. Even if you somehow did clean it out, you've already scratched up the sub-barrel assembly and probably the zoom barrel. These components must be replaced. Trust me, I know this from personal experience.

Jan 07, 2012 at 10:47 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Sorry about your gear -- that sucks. But I do think that is a pretty cool photo.

Jerry

Jan 07, 2012 at 10:51 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

killersnowman wrote:
i had my local shop send it to canon and had them put no mention of salt water on the work order so we shall see.

So did you contact your home insurance provider?

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:57 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

killersnowman wrote:

The white residue, rapid deterioration and corrosion of internal components will prove to them that it was salt water.

Robert, the 5D2 is not in the CLP.

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

You can definitely try the rice trick but I would bet money that your camera is done. Salt water owns electronics. Might as well sell it for scraps on eBay and do you best to get a new camera. The waves have been very big this past week with the big swells and you definitely gotta be careful out there. Lots of water pushing high up the beaches, especially from Montana De Oro to Cambria areas.

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Bob Kane
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Hope you got both batteries out as soon as you could. I suspect it's a fatal blow, but removing the batteries gets you a slightly better chance of a successful repair.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:04 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

A friend sent me his 40D and 10-20 that had been for a short ocean swim.

I opened up the 40D and it was a total utter unrecoverable mess.

Any salt water ingress = devastation, its so destructive to the very highly packed electronics.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:31 AM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Regarding homeowner's insurance covering camera damage:

- yes, many policies cover such damage, however, most homeowner's insurance comes with a deductable. Usually that deductable is rather high, unless you were willing to pay a LOT higher premium.

- it's certainly worth a telephone call to your agent, however, expect the deductable to be more than the cost of the camera + lens.

- I have at least two friends who thought they were covered by just their homeowner's policy, but found the deducatble higher than their damaged equipment.

My sympathies for your loss. Let us know if you have any success with repair.
I consider salt water + electronics rather hopeless.

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:31 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Have to say, that is a rather ethereal final image. Kind of like your camera going into the light at the end of the tunnel... Full sympathy from me.

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kevinsullivan
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Call Canon service first thing Monday, explain the situation, and ask them what to do. Very sorry to hear of this accident.

Jan 08, 2012 at 04:01 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I don't recommend claiming your camera under your homeowner's policy, even if you have a low deductible. Most policies would consider it a chargeable loss, meaning your premium at renewal will be adversely affected, especially if you have had another such loss within the past 5 years. That's why it's important to insure different types of risk under separate policies.

Homeowner's insurance is really meant to cover catastrophic losses, such as a hailstorm destroying your roof, or a fire burns your house to the foundation, or a thief cleans you out while you're on vacation. We're talking about situations where it would cost you tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars, not some measly $2500 camera that, after the deductible (which is typically around $500 - $2500), just isn't worth putting on your policy in exchange for higher premiums for the next few years.

You've already shot yourself in the foot. The time to have done something about it is long past. Don't make a bad situation even worse by making an even bigger mistake than you already have. If you didn't have a policy for the lost gear, pay for a replacement and eat the loss. Then insure the new gear under a camera-specific policy. Don't attach it to your home. Doing that may seem like a good idea, but gear worth several thousand dollars that you're constantly exposing to all kinds of risk by taking it around with you, does not and should not mix with the exposure on your dwelling or its contents. The endorsements/floaters for personal electronics that you often see offered as optional coverages on top of your homeowner's policy are meant for casual photographers shooting family vacation photos with their Rebel + kit lens, not those with professional-level equipment.

Jan 08, 2012 at 04:01 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

As for homeowner's insurance, In addition to the deductible issue one must understand that some (many) providers count claims and if you have enough (like maybe 2) they cancel your insurance. Investigate before filing. Might not be worth it even if you can get a few hundred dollars back.

Jan 08, 2012 at 04:06 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

mco_970 wrote:
Have to say, that is a rather ethereal final image. Kind of like your camera going into the light at the end of the tunnel... Full sympathy from me.

you know the image is the thing holding it all together. id feel way worse if the camera was junk and i had nothing to show for it and on the converse id feel way less about the image if i had gotten the image without my camera being destroyed.

money comes money goes. cameras come and cameras go. its what making money is for and thank the heavens i didnt make my money with that camera!!

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:53 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

o and i dont own a home. im a young 24yr old that moves around. no home owners insurance because i have no desire to own a home.

even though i sent the 5d2 in to get repairs, at this point im willing to spend the $2200 to get a new one so i dont have to use the 20D!!!! ugh!

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:55 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Home insurance is clearly very different over there then. My 'contents' insurance policy has a specific 'personal possessions' arrangement where I have specificed the total value of the personal possessions I own that I take with me outside of my home. It also has an individual item total limit which I currently have at 1600 (to cover my most expensive lenses) so therefore if I lose, damage, or have any of my gear stolen my insurance firm will replace the item with like for like or the modern equivalent up to the maximum value of 1600.
I have to pay a 50 excess charge to make a claim (peanuts for a 1600 lens) and whilst my premiums will increase after making such a claim it would not be more than an additional 8 to 10 per month.

Sounds like you get a bum deal in the US.

Jan 08, 2012 at 10:47 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I wouldn't bother with home owners unless you have the item scheduled. In that case it would not have any deductible and it would be covered for all perils. This is probably the best option for non-pros. I would take all the negative home owners bias with a grain of salt. Yes if you file multiple claims in a short period you might get canceled or your rates could go up. So don't start thinking this is a great way to get your gear replaced and start filing multiple claims.
Don't laugh there was a thread on another forum with some one that did exactly that.
If you buy insurance use it....Just don't abuse it.
BTW over the years I've had claims for photo gear and I've never even lost a discount for a single claim.

Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:49 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

wlpelzmann wrote:
Regarding homeowner's insurance covering camera damage:

- yes, many policies cover such damage, however, most homeowner's insurance comes with a deductable. Usually that deductable is rather high, unless you were willing to pay a LOT higher premium.

- it's certainly worth a telephone call to your agent, however, expect the deductable to be more than the cost of the camera + lens.

- I have at least two friends who thought they were covered by just their homeowner's policy, but found the deducatble higher than their damaged equipment.

My sympathies for your loss. Let us know if you have any success with repair.
I
...Show more
I have home owners. My rates are low. My deductible is 500.
My items are not scheduled. Allstate told me, scheduled items still have a deductible and add more to my insurance.

We went Round and round over it, because I've got several high end guitars. They said that it would exceed the maximum that they cover in guitars. "why do you have that many?". Eff you, because I want to!

But on the same policy I've got coverage for crap I don't have,Ike 30grand in clothing and also in jewelry.
I was like, wtf.

Also someone telling you NOT TO USE SOMETHING YOU PAY FOR is smoking something.
You pay for insurance. It doesn't hurt to call and check.
Most places don't raise your rates in the first claim. I've had two with Allstate and my rates are the same.

It fall into the same category as this,

"don't eat your food...you paid for it."
"don't use your camera...you paid for it."
"don't drive your car...you guessed it, you paid for it".

Like I said, you'll be surprised how much is covered even without scheduling. I was playing in a band for a benefit (not money) and it was going to be the first time I played out in about 14 months. I called my agent who said of I wasn't being paid, I am covered 20k of gear from my home. Took my gear and had a blast.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:10 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Robert your insurance agent was mistaken. I had Allstate for years. There is no deductible with scheduled items and I can tell you I had several scheduled claims with AllState over the years. I wouldn't even think about using Allstate now but that is because of the way they have altered their liability coverage. Any time you schedule an item it costs more and you usually need receipts or appraisals for the items. Scheduled items do not fall under your base home owners limit should your policy have a cap on electronics, etc.

Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:19 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Dave I am in the process of switching companies before long. My old agent was Dennis mika and he had a lot of crap going on, so I'm not surprised he made a mistake (his wife had brain cancer or something equally horrible). That location nearly fell apart.

My point is though, you pay for it, use it.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password