Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

Different rendition of subject, appreciate your thoughts and comments,

Bob

Edited on Jan 07, 2012 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

It's got that aged, faded look for sure. I think its done well but I dont find it compelling. May be the same image with different conversion, toning, but it seems to lean to the right more than I recall.
Scott

Jan 07, 2012 at 02:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

+1@ leaning right.

Wish I were there today.

Jan 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM
campyone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

As a very broad generalization, with old buildings I think you do one of two things. You get up close and photograph an interesting smaller part of the building or you photograph from a distance and show the building in its (hopefully interesting or meaningful) surroundings. When you make a photograph of the entire building but nothing else it's hard to avoid ending up with a photograph that simply documents what the building looks like. I think that's what you have here - a well-made, well-composed documentary photograph. Which is fine if that's what you were trying to do.

As a relative nit - the entire scene looks like it's tilted to the right. You probably could straighten it by cropping a little without hurting the photograph.

Jan 07, 2012 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

I like it. I recall visiting Cades Cove back in the 70's during a kayaking foray to N.C. The name fits the location. I still recall that after driving though the woods there was a clearing which created the same feeling as seeing a ocean cove surrounded by cliffs.

Your rendering looks very much like a circa 30's and 40's B&W prints seen in the old family albums. All that is missing to complete that period look is the black paper album page and white adhesive corner mounts.

Jan 07, 2012 at 03:56 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

My preference would be to do a rotation so that the trees are vertical as well as cabin lines. Here is a quick edit to show the correction:

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

Thanks to everyone for responding - yup, right-wing farmhouse.

This approach relied pretty much on straight SEPro2 tools and settings, curious what that, at least single data point might produce.

For reference I am posting, the original version (or something very close to) as a point of reference. The original was literally hand-crafted with lots of burning, dodging, and very selective sharpening - obviously taking much more time.

For those who tire of my recycled, perhaps stale images, I hope to be able to venture outside, at least to the yard next week to capture something fresh

regards,

Bob

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:23 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cades Cove farmhouse - plus original

Wooden structures may sag and lean with time, especially is not well made, but this house looks to have been made well. Some trees can lean, but with enough trees in an image the eye will establish expectations for what is vertical. Similarly a rare chimney won't be vertical but well made masonry chimneys are almost always vertical. The combination of tree consensus and chimney establishes a vertical the eye expects.

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password