Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A couple of recent experiments

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A couple of recent experiments

Have fun.

Jan 04, 2012 at 11:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · A couple of recent experiments

Backstory on #2 ??

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · A couple of recent experiments

I like #2,

Bob

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:12 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A couple of recent experiments

A little tweak

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:22 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · A couple of recent experiments

I like the second. Looks good in BW and in sepia with appealing lighting, processing and implied story.
Looks like you have already had fun on the first.
A bit of a throwback to 50's sci-fi. Just saw Ed Wood with Johnny Depp.

Scott

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kaden K.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · A couple of recent experiments

I too like #2 as well.

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:45 AM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #7 · A couple of recent experiments

I like #2 but it looks like she ended up as a gilgo beach victim. Doug

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:11 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · A couple of recent experiments

Backstory: Visited friends in Dunedin (South Island) for New Years. Photographed the beach behind their home and then took some snapshots near a local scenic spot, "Lovers Leap".

Number one started as an exposure blunder - not checking the camera before snapping a shot. Out of curiosity, before rubbishing it I yanked the ACR exposure slider all the way to the left and the recover to the right. The result suggested what might have been burned onto my retinas had a nuclear weapon detonated in the distance at that moment. I call it "Island by Bomb Light".

The second was a snapshot where the primary subjects were clowning and having snapshot fun. I'd intended include the receding figure with her back turned, as if to say "I don't want to be a party to such foolishness". But the scale was wrong and she was too far away to make the statement. When I examined the original on my big monitor, I noticed, although my original intent didn't work, her isolation and the flow and shape of the grass track made a statement about the aloneness of the human condition that appealed to me - "The Long Walk". Also, the positioning of the subject, lighting and composition in a way distantly and distortedly echos a sort of Christian iconography.

So, if you ever wonder the sort of gibbering that goes on in my head about images, there are two examples.

Here's a small pano of a large one I make from the same site as the first and the original from which I plucked the second:

Pano of the beach and Green Island

Source of The Long Walk

Jan 05, 2012 at 07:18 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · A couple of recent experiments

Interesting to hear the backstory and see the starting image.
My association to sci-fi had to do with post-nuclear explosion look, but also to seeing the distant island as a stalking dinosaur!
Scott

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:01 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · A couple of recent experiments

The first shot doesn't do anything for me. For the second I found this crop better suited my eye...

For these reasons...

Being more analytical than artistic doesn't mean I don't react emotionally, I just try afterwards it figure out what caused the reaction.... Things like how immediately I was attracted to the focal point in the shot, how long I initially dwelled on it, what distracted me off of it, and whether or not I returned back to it for a second look.

Here we have slender well proportioned female figure dressed in black leather. Hmmm... what's not to like about that? The fact she is on a lighter toned worn path framed with an arrow head shaped clump of foliage created the the bushes framing her add additional interest.

What I found myself distracted by was the darker gap above the ^ shape of the framing foliage at the end of the path. Conventional wisdom might argue for negative framing space there, but in this case the triangle ^ forms the frame and the gap pulls my eye up and out the top past it. The white border on the image as posted did that also.

So my first crop was on the top to put the apex of the triangle at the top of the frame. When I did that it looked unbalanced with too much foreground. Trying various crops I found the rock in the foreground to be a nice framing element. As with the gap on the top any gap around that rock would tend to draw attention to it because it contrasts with its surroundings. Putting it at the edge is a way I turn a potential distraction into a framing element for the focal point. The crop on the sides was based in the shape of the contrasting dark plant to on the left. It's similarity in tone and proximity to the focal point of the women make it a potential distraction pulling attention off the focal point so I cropped it in a way that it's line on top angled in towards the focal point and would blend into the black mat I added.

I also bumped the contrast a bit more than the original with Levels, except in the white hat which I darkened slightly.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password