Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adding Photo Workshop Feature

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adding Photo Workshop Feature

Before coming to Fred Miranda I was active for a few years on a website called Trekearth.com which bills itself as a site where folks can "learn more about the world through photography." They have a feature that I believe would greatly enhance FM, though it may be difficult to integrate. Members when uploading photos indicate whether they are willing to have other members propose changes to their images. With the photographer's permission, members can download an image, then do post processing work on it and upload it again as a "workshop." The person doing the workshop explains exactly what they've done and why. Here is how workshops are set up for comparison, using a workshop I did on a very fine image.

http://www.trekearth.com/workshops/243617/

The top image is the original, the bottom my workshop. It is possible to compare larger images either side by side or top and bottom using the buttons at the top. The original posting can be accessed by clicking on the photo. The same can be done with the re-worked photo. You'll note at the bottom of the text describing what was done that other members can note whether they found the workshop useful.

For the first couple of years I participated on the site I viewed hundreds of workshops by photographers whose work I respected. This contributed a great deal to my learning both photography and post-processing. In my later years I occasionally made suggestions.

I know that not every thread on FM is intended for comment and critique of images, but I can imagine having a feature like this could prove to be very useful. This subject came to mind when a member suggested a change to another members photo on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. It was well received by the photographer and conveyed a point worth making about presentation of images. Having a "workshop" feature available would have enhanced the process and insured that the person who posted the image was comfortable with receiving that kind of feedback.

As I said on the MFNG thread, this is like frosting on the cake for a great site. I imagine this would entail a considerable amount of work. Whether it is deemed useful is up to the members and you Fred.

Jan 04, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adding Photo Workshop Feature

I'm not ignoring you.
It's definitely something to be considered. Thank you!
Fred

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adding Photo Workshop Feature

Thanks Fred, but clearly there has not been a ground swell of excitement about this prospect. As I said, this would be frosting on an already tasty cake. Perhaps this level of involvement is more than the majority of participants on this site are looking for, though there definitely was interest on the MFNG thread. But unlike Trekearth, FM has a primary focus on gear. TE was all photos all the time. It is probably also true that the quality in photos shared is higher here than on TE where excellent photos are mixed with snapshots. I'm content but thought I'd at least raise this as a possible enhancement.

Jan 05, 2012 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password