Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pattern Projector for Backdrop?

joesmosax
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pattern Projector for Backdrop?

Has anyone seen or used this?

http://www.dennymfg.com/ProductDetailsNew1.aspx?PId=87f1eab4-f8e0-48b7-b997-3b6641048efb&PTId=a49b9a28-32db-4529-b199-81bcb86d2c04#Scroll

It connects to your strobe to project a pattern(which can apparently be brought in and out of focus as well) onto your backdrop. There seem to be a number of slides you can buy to project different patterns. .

I've been looking for something like this as I shoot on paper a lot and am looking for something to bring some variety and texture into the mix. I'm looking for patterns that create natural and random textures. Nothing like stars or palm trees or anything like thatI have thought about making my own cookies(sp?) but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Thoughts?

Joe

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:59 AM
cathpah
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pattern Projector for Backdrop?

My thoughts would be that for that price, you're not really getting anything special or helpful. There *are* similar looking options that have more lenses that allow the unit to be much more focusable that allow you to really project images/shapes (usually meant to create harder lines).

If you're looking to add patterns/randomness/texture in the background, you can do so MUCH cheaper (and I'm not a DIY nut).

1) Buy a roll of black cinefoil. This stuff is incredibly useful (can use it to make snoots, flag lights, etc), but specific to your needs, you can take a knife/screwdriver to it and make some random cuts/holes/patterns. Clip this to your light, and you're good to go. This is called a cookie. Much cheaper, and many more uses than that which you linked to.

2) Use a bowl/fishtank/vase full of water and shine light through/against it.. The randomness of the water reflections can be great, and if you really want to mix it up...have an assistant slap the side of the vessel from time to time to keep a bit of motion in the water to ensure randomness.

3) Put a houseplant in front of the light. The leaves at different distances from the light will give texture with varied hardness to the shadows on the background.

4) If you want harder edges on the pattern, pull your light back and use a larger cookie. You can buy duvetyne fabric (also known as commando cloth) which is completely opaque and absorbs light...and make cuts/holes/gashes in it (just like the cinefoil) and keep it closer to the background.

Jan 04, 2012 at 06:37 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pattern Projector for Backdrop?

joesmosax wrote:
...I shoot on paper a lot and am looking for something to bring some variety and texture into the mix. I'm looking for patterns that create natural and random textures. Nothing like stars or palm trees or anything like thatI have thought about making my own cookies(sp?) but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Yes, cookie/cookies is the correct spelling, although it's actually slang for cucoloris.

Although it's common to also call cookies gobos, the device you show is a true gobo projector since "gobo" is said to be short for "goes before optics."

I've never used one, but I have bought other products from Denny Mfg., and they're a reputable company.

Jan 04, 2012 at 07:38 AM
joesmosax
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pattern Projector for Backdrop?

Cool- I'll check out cinefoil.

Joe

Jan 04, 2012 at 07:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password