Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Critique and OCF Hints?

threemilesfina
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critique and OCF Hints?

I finally got my CT-04 Triggers and took a couple practice shots with it the other night.

Looking for some critique on the lighting and tips for shooting with one OCF. Any "Rules of Thumb" to make it a little easier to figure out how much power etc? I've done some reading and this 1:1, 2:1 and all the fractions kind of have me a bit daunted.

So here it is... 1x YN-467 on a CT-04 and mini-Tripod above and behind subject. 45 degree angle and bounce card on the head.

1/80, ISO200 and f/4 set on Camera iirc.

Enough babbling... here's the shots of my little Monster.

Jan 03, 2012 at 06:57 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critique and OCF Hints?

threemilesfina wrote:
Looking for some critique on the lighting and tips for shooting with one OCF. Any "Rules of Thumb" to make it a little easier to figure out how much power etc? I've done some reading and this 1:1, 2:1 and all the fractions kind of have me a bit daunted.

Don't worry about lighting ratios for now. You need more than one light to do them anyway.

Go over to www.strobist.com and read through and practice Lighting 101 and Lighting 102.

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:13 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critique and OCF Hints?

Your shots turned out well.

The simple way I learned to do lighting ratios with dual flash back in the day when flashes only had one manual power was to use two identical powered flashes, one on bracket as fill and the other off camera as key light. That way if you put your OCF at the same distance as your camera fill you automatically get a 2:1 reflected ratio:

H:S
1:1 Fill over the camera lights entire face with nearly shadowless fill
1:0 Key light at same distance / strength overlaps fill
===
2:1 Reflected ratio is 2:1 highlights reflect 2x more light than shadows

Figuring out exposure is simply a matter of doing some testing at various shooting distances. For example, once you find what power / aperture you need for correct exposure at 8ft it will always be the same when you shoot from 8ft.

Getting a stronger ratio (i.e. same highlights / darker shadows) requires putting your key light closer than the fill (assuming they are identical). If for example you are shooting at 8ft with fill at that distance, if you move the OCF in to 5-1/2 feet it will be 2x (1 stop) stronger and your ratio will be 3:1

H:S
1:1 Fill over the camera lights at 8ft. entire face with nearly shadowless fill
2:0 Key light at 5-1/2 ft is 2x brighter
===
3:1 Reflected ratio is 3:1 highlights reflect 2x more light than shadows

Again its just a matter of testing (or chimping highlight clipping in playback) to zero in on the correct exposure. I still use that 3:1 method when shooting portraits with my pair of 580ex flashes because its predictable and foolproof.

Jan 03, 2012 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password