1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Major change, need advice

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Major change, need advice

dortizphoto wrote:
Here's Barbara, "framed" -- still needs work, but hopefully getting there. ...Thoughts?

Good placement of the lights; you've got enough angle for some modeling shadows, but the brim of the hat isn't shading too much of the face/eyes.

I like the amount of fill you've used. For beauty/glamour shots that kind of low-ratio fill helps to hide skin flaws, but you still have enough shadow to reveal the cheek bones. There's a bit of a merger between the middle of her jaw line and her neck; moving the reflector a little higher or tipping the top in and moving the bottom out might help, but if you don't have a reflector holder it's not a big issue.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:48 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Major change, need advice

Thanks Brian. I have to write all this down so "hopefully" I can replicate it again with a live subject. What I noticed is I had to stop-down the hair light as it was clipping the new hat. I suppose I'll need to do the same as different subject's hair color change, etc.?

I hope I don't upset anyone here. I'll experiment some more with this. I'm glad I didn't sell by ABs though.

I had to post process her because the original image (straight out of camera) appeared somewhat flat to me. Here's the same image -- but the processed version.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/88/335988/1/140786800.M2Bgjc0q.processed.jpg
Thanks again Brian.

Regards,
Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:56 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Major change, need advice

dortizphoto wrote:
What I noticed is I had to stop-down the hair light as it was clipping the new hat. I suppose I'll need to do the same as different subject's hair color change, etc.?

Yep; it's all about different materials' reflectivity. When you have the light on a boom you can also quickly change the relative intensity by moving the light up or down a bit; the closer to the subject's head the brighter.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:29 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Major change, need advice

I gotta tell ya. That boom stand scaresme because I fear my AB800 will come crashing down. I'll experiment some more tomorrow before I have to disassemble my "high tech" studio. :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 04:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Major change, need advice

dortizphoto wrote:
I gotta tell ya. That boom stand scaresme because I fear my AB800 will come crashing down.

Don't extend it too far out, use a counter weight on the other end, and -- if needed -- more weight on the stand itself.

Or, put the Speedlight out on the boom; it's lighter.

Have fun!

Jan 08, 2012 at 07:05 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Major change, need advice

Thanks, will do. Gosh, I feel like we should have exchanged the latter part of this thread by email (no other contributors). Oh well, maybe someone else will read it and learn from this (what i consider valuable) interaction. I certainly have.

Thanks again Brian.
Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 11:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Major change, need advice

dortizphoto wrote:
...Gosh, I feel like we should have exchanged the latter part of this thread by email (no other contributors).

Yeah, I was going to comment last night that our forum round table has become a tête à tête. Oh well.

Jan 08, 2012 at 09:09 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password