Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Photo Geek

garyroach
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Geek

Ok, this is just for fun. I admit it. I'm a photo geek. And, so are you if you are reading this.

I knew I was a photo geek when I would look for photo gear instead of cheerleaders when the camera would pan to the sidelines during football games. When did you know you were a photo geek?

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Geek

About age 10.

EBH

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:52 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Geek

EB-1 wrote:
About age 10.

EBH

Was there a particular circumstance or situation or is that just when you became interested in photography? When someone first became interested in photography would be interesting too. At least, to me. But, then, I'm a photo geek!

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Geek

The first I remember was at age 6, when I shot a family member with a 620 Hawkeye Brownie. The big toe was sticking up and appeared in the print, but I did not see that through the viewfinder. Of course I did not understand parallax and crappy VFs, but that photo bothered me for a long time. I did not get an SLR until the age of 12, and a serious one (Nikon Nikkormat) until 15.

EBH

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:26 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Geek

Hmmm, I think I have always been intrigued by still images and composition as far back as I can remember…however, my first serious foray into photography came at about the age of 11 or so when my art school held several classes on photography & darkroom printing. To be honest, I didn't 'get it' back them but it absolutely sparked the drive that's gotten me here!

I suspect that both my daughters are going to get a head-start on 'photo geek-hood' (whether they like it or not )

Omar

Edited on Jan 03, 2012 at 12:36 AM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:34 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Geek

First camera would also be an interesting question.

My first camera and the best Christmas gift I ever received as a kid was a Polaroid camera. It was an early model that produced a negative and print sandwiched together that you had to put in a metal clamshell then put in your arm pit to develope then remove and peel apart. Body heat actually activated the chemicals. My first slr was also a Nikkormat.

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Geek

garyroach wrote:
First camera would also be an interesting question.

My first camera and the best Christmas gift I ever received as a kid was a Polaroid camera. It was an early model that produced a negative and print sandwiched together that you had to put in a metal clamshell then put in your arm pit to develope then remove and peel apart. Body heat actually activated the chemicals. My first slr was also a Nikkormat.

I don't recall having to heat the old B&W polaroids before pulling the backing off, but I do remember coating them with that vile-smelling fixative. Any parts that one missed would fade over time.

EBH

Jan 03, 2012 at 02:08 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Geek

First camera was an old Kodak that shot 120 film. Wish I still had it. It was a cool, sturdy little camera, and I've never seen another one quite like it.

Jan 03, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo Geek

So, I'm at a client's last week and in their lobby they have a TV running news and such. Up pops a pic with two celebs, a guy and a girl of some supposed popularity, and I quickly point out that the girl is wearing a film SLR around her neck. Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts.

Yes, I'm a photo geek.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 03, 2012 at 02:30 PM
robscomputer
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo Geek

Todd Warnke wrote:
So, I'm at a client's last week and in their lobby they have a TV running news and such. Up pops a pic with two celebs, a guy and a girl of some supposed popularity, and I quickly point out that the girl is wearing a film SLR around her neck. Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts.

Yes, I'm a photo geek.

Peace,

Todd

Heh, I caught Sam Axe in Burn Notice many times taking photos with a film slr (Nikon F100?). Maybe he's an analog fan?

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo Geek

Christmas 1960.. I received my first camera as a gift... Have never been without one since..

Jan 04, 2012 at 04:53 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo Geek

garyroach wrote:
I knew I was a photo geek when I would look for photo gear instead of cheerleaders when the camera would pan to the sidelines during football games.

You are too old, totally disgusting, or both

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:22 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo Geek

As a young teenager, my neighbor worked for the Olympus Camera repair department and I would spend my lawn mowing job money on refurbished lenses she hand selected for me. I still have them and occasionally use them on my 5D2.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:35 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo Geek

GroovyGeek wrote:
You are too old, totally disgusting, or both

Both!

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:46 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo Geek

garyroach wrote:
... When did you know you were a photo geek?

Age 14. I went into my school darkroom with the headmaster's daughter for a printing session. Soon thereafter, I became aware that word had gotten around. While the ribbing was good natured, I honestly didn't get it.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:46 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photo Geek

garyroach wrote:
Ok, this is just for fun. I admit it. I'm a photo geek. And, so are you if you are reading this.

I knew I was a photo geek when I would look for photo gear instead of cheerleaders when the camera would pan to the sidelines during football games. When did you know you were a photo geek?

Are you kiddding? Nothing kept me from watching the cheerleaders. They were the reason for going to the game. You must have had "low T" as a kid!

Jan 05, 2012 at 06:11 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photo Geek

runamuck wrote:
Are you kiddding? Nothing kept me from watching the cheerleaders. They were the reason for going to the game. You must have had "low T" as a kid!

Actually I didn't become a photo geek until later in life. As a young man I loved looking at the cheerleaders. I still do. (BTW, they used to show the cheerleaders much more often, particularly on Monday Night Football.) But, that's why it stands out in my memory. I caught myself looking for cameras and lenses on the sidelines instead of attractive young women!

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:56 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photo Geek

When I was about 8 or 9 and was on a family trip, the hotel at which we were staying had a vending machine with a "spy" camera. I bought it and sneaked around the hotel taking pictures! When I had finished shooting the roll of film I pulled it out of the cassette and tried rinsing it with water to somehow see the negatives (obviously had no clue about film processing!). I always thought that strip of film was pretty cool and wanted to someday try and learn how to develop it!

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:11 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photo Geek

Around 1958

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photo Geek

Hey there, I am another that will mention 1958 as the start of my photographic Geek addiction. An old plastic camera body that took 127 roll film belonged to my Mother before she let me have it, and I have been Geeky every since. And I do not limit my Geekyness to just photography, but to all things technical.

The full original Canon F-1 system sucked me in completely when it came out, and I still have most all of those beautiful and well engineered masterpieces.

One key to the best method to be a really great Geek is to enjoy the pleasures of cool interesting equipment and technical thoughts, and at the same time mix in the enjoyment of spending time with women. Only then does the perfect Geek exist.

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password