Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

markd61
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

I am an architectural photographer and am looking at getting past the limitations (not totally solid, heavy) of my current Manfrotto. The Gitzo seems to be the model that would accomodate anything I can place on top of it and still be stable.

Anyone out there with experience on this model?

I will be using the Arca-Swiss C-1 cube on top.

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:29 PM
RoyC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

Yes, I have a Gt5541LS that I use with my 500 f4 G and Wimberley head. Very stable set of legs. You will be pleased.

Roy

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #3 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

Thanks Roy. It seems to offer a significant increase in robustness over the 35xx series with no real increase in price.

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

I have both the GT 5541LS and the GT 3541LS tripods. The series 5 tripod is a lot more stable. It's also a rather big difference in size/weight

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

RRS TVC33 w/leveling base. since your in the general area if you have the time shoot up, down or over to San Luis Obispo and take a good look at one right at RRS.

Jan 02, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Mark2Mark
• •
p.1 #6 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

I went from Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 CF tripod to a Gitzo 5541LS and the difference is night and day. The gitzo may be heavy to carry, but it sure is solid, no complaints in that department. I use mine with a RRS BH-55 ball head.

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #7 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

I need to second jsms that you should look at the Really Right Stuff TVC33 with their optional leveling base for a very stable tripod that is still fairly light, and is easy to use. For use with the C1 cube you may not need the leveling base, although a pre leveled C-1 head would be able to do vertical or horizontal panoramas if needed, as well as adjust framing of shots easily. A leveling base is also very useful for general photography, all though you did not say if this tripod will do general duty.

If you were to get their leveling base with the quick release option, you can add a dovetail base to the C-1 and quickly interchange to a ball head for other uses. At first I thought the quick interchange of heads was not something I needed, but I now have available three different types of heads that I can put on my TVC33 very easily. That also means that I have less use for my other Gitzo tripod legs, but I will keep them for now.

Jan 03, 2012 at 08:04 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #8 · Moving to Gitzo- anyone hae info on the GT5541LS?

Thanks all. I will take a look at the RRS also. Thanks Roland for the dovetail base idea. I have a couple of other tripods for lighter use but I do have a need for different heads at different times.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password