Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Florida advice anyone?

GillR
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Florida advice anyone?

My husband and I are off to Florida next month for the best part of 3 weeks. The first week and last few days are already booked (Orlando both times, for WDW and Universal Studios) and we've hired a car for the week in between. What we don't want to do is move on every day or two, and the only 'must do' on our list for this week is The Everglades.

Originally,we were thinking of staying in Naples for the week and using that as a base for trips but I'm now wondering whether splitting the week between Sarasota and Homestead/Florida City might be a better idea and give us a wider range of environments along with even easier access to the Everglades.

If anyone with knowledge of these areas has any advice or suggestions to share I'd be really grateful

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:17 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Florida advice anyone?

I'm certainly biased toward the West and Northwest coasts, but especially toward the north central and northwest sections of FL, having lived large portions of my life in both areas. If you want to approximate what Florida was like many, many, many years ago, you can still do that by traveling northward along the west coast, or northward up through central Florida through such places as Gainesville, Tallahassee, and I-10 West through the Panhandle. Indeed, US 98 along the Panhandle coast is not too bad, at least until you get to Panama City where that coast resembles the shit of what used to be glorious countryside, but which has now become very similar to the concrete/condo/hotel deserts of I-95.

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:55 PM
unclechuck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Florida advice anyone?

Happy to contribute ideas if you highlight your photo interests and objectives.

If you are focused on the Everglades I'd suggest staying around Lake Okeechobee which has easy access to all that area, including glimpses of old Florida along adjacent sections of US 441 (north of the lake) and highway 70 which crosses Florida south of the lake. The area has a number of State Parks and reserves, chief among them Highlands Hammock State Park ( http://floridastateparks.org/highlandshammock/ ) which offers spectacular photo ops of native plants, birds and animals. And of course, The Glades ...

FYI, you are picking the perfect time to visit our warmer / wetter areas --- the first winter cold front is passing through now, which means the mosquito population will be reduced.

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DLP
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Florida advice anyone?

Naples is a good place to base out of and a wise choice for a good selection of hotels and dining options. However splitting your stay would work nicely since the drive is a good 2 hours each way from Naples.
Homestead is not the nicest area so if you plan to split your stay I'd consider basing out of Key Largo and taking at least 1 day to drive down the Keys. Don't miss Bahia Honda State Park.

Dave

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM
GillR
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Florida advice anyone?

unclechuck wrote:
FYI, you are picking the perfect time to visit our warmer / wetter areas --- the first winter cold front is passing through now, which means the mosquito population will be reduced.

As I'm an ambulant mozzie-magnet, that's good to know!

Much appreciate you all taking time to write: gave us food for thought and we've decided to base ourselves at Key Largo for the whole of this week: that way we can spend time along The Keys and visit The Everglades without moving hotels. Our next trip to Florida will not include Orlando, so we'll plan on exploring the West coast then when we can take more time to do it.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:22 AM
SaberOne

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Florida advice anyone?

At this point you may be already there but I suggest a trip upward to St. Augustine (the real beginning of discovered America). It's beautiful and not overly crowded but still high on the visitors' list. I'd there with you if I wasn't already planning another trip to Italy.

Jan 14, 2012 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password