Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

pd417
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

Looking to get my first light modification kit to use with my two Speedlite 580 EX II's. Saw the Westcott #2332, but at that price point I'm concerned about build quality and duarability. Anyone used this setup? Thoughts on a comparable system?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=westcott+2332&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Thanks...Paul

Jan 02, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

Their umbrellas are decent value but easily bent, any umbrella is pretty much disposable. The best are the ones with fibreglass rods so they don't get bent.

Can't comment on the stand.

Jan 02, 2012 at 04:39 PM
PhotoDes
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

I have their 43" collapsible white umbrella but it didn't come with a black cover -- I assume it is the same underneath. It is not as rugged as some of my other umbrellas, but it is probably my favorite. In shoot-thru mode, it has a very slight warming effect which has been perfect for portraits. I'm not hard on my equipment and it has held up for over 4 years. I think it is one of the classics from Westcott.

Des

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pd417
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

Thanks for the responses.

I like the idea of fiberglass rods for better durability, but since I'm just learning, this may be the way to go.

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

Calumet have a 43" collapsable with black cover, I like it a lot, it's actually stronger than the regular calumet brollies.

Jan 03, 2012 at 08:32 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit w/Stand

I cannot comment on the quality of the Westcott parts. I'm sure the umbrella is fine, but is the stand an "air cushioned" stand? Is the bracket metal? I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those questions will be "No."

That being said, the entire kit is only $40 more than the Westcott umbrella. Getting a 8' air cushioned stand and metal umbrella adapter will run about as much as the total kit with umbrella. But those items will be nicer and easier to work with than the cheaper stuff will be and it will likely last longer too. Just something to consider before rushing out and buying the kit.

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password