Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · She never complains

dortizphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · She never complains

I would like to replicate this look with a live subject. Only problem is my daughter, wife and sons all act like I'm pulling teeth when I ask them to pose. The result ... I wind up with dry, dull non interesting poses.

However, my always ready and willing to pose model [Barbara-seen below] never complains, and she's always willing to help me tweak my lighting techniques. Of course she's not the most attractive model, but she'll do I suppose.

Happy New Year!
Dave

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/3.2    1/80s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:58 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · She never complains

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, advice

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:54 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · She never complains

I have the same exact manneq... Barbara I mean!

If you're looking for advice on dealing with reluctant subjects, I would suggest keeping your lighting tweaks to an absolute minimum. I haven't dealt with a single person who doesn't get visibly bored when I fiddle with my lights. That is, unless they're a photographer too. Use Barbara to get your lighting as close as possible before bringing in a human.

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · She never complains

dortizphoto wrote:
I would like to replicate this look with a live subject. Only problem is my daughter, wife and sons all act like I'm pulling teeth when I ask them to pose. The result ... I wind up with dry, dull non interesting poses.

Set up the lights using Barbara first, then bring in your live subject(s).

If your family isn't cooperative (and after more than a few "sessions" who can blame them), you could offer free portrait sessions to friends, coworkers, and other family members. After a bit more practice you could offer your services for pay (don't undercut working pros in your area) doing headshots for aspiring models and actors, and other similar work.

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:52 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · She never complains

Hi Mike. Yes, that's her [Barbara], and I use her often. You'll note I added ear-rings to her, and on occasion I'll include a hat to deal with the shadows a hat produces. As you know, her skin tone isn't the greatest, so that usually is a WB challenge, but I mostly use her for lighting.

My wife does not believe other photographers use these tools. If you happen you have a few samples of your sessions with her you'd be willing to share, that would be great.

Thanks Mike,
Dave

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:53 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · She never complains

Good tip Brian, thank you for that.

Regards,
Dave

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · She never complains

dortizphoto wrote:
...My wife does not believe other photographers use these tools.

[Show her this post.]

Dear Mrs. Ortiz,

Your husband is not alone in his use of a mannequin to learn portrait lighting. Many schools still do this, and some online sites do too. See, for example:

http://www.portraitlighting.net/patternsb.htm

Prior to cost-cutting measures, the New York Institute of Photography used to include a head mannequin (named "Shirley") in the tools mailed to their correspondence course students. I still have Shirley packed in a box in my closet. I really should let her out some day.

[Dave: Did this help? ]

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · She never complains

Wow Brian, thank you for this valuable link. That mannequin is very life like and looks likevtgevreal thing. Can units like that one be purchased anywhere?

Thanks again Brian. I will share this link with her.

Regards,
Dave

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · She never complains

dortizphoto wrote:
Wow Brian, thank you for this valuable link. That mannequin is very life like and looks likevtgevreal thing. Can units like that one be purchased anywhere?

I don't know the source of that particular one, but similar mannequins are available from store display sellers and other retailers.

Here's one:

http://www.mannequinstore.com/default.htm

and another:

http://www.zingdisplay.com/Shane-Male-Mannequin-p/dfeum03wa.htm

and yet another:

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/sannys-secret/2715805/realistic_hand_painted_female_fiberglass_mannequin_head_bust_-_m1067/supplies/jewelry_supplies/jewelry_tools/other

Just don't get carried away.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:12 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · She never complains

Awesome Brian. I showed my wife your post and the link and she laughed. They can get rather expensive huh? Maybe I'll buy a cheap wig for Barbara and start there.

Thanks again Brian,
Dave

PS: I remember the movie mannequin.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #11 · She never complains

Solution: hire models

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:20 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · She never complains

Mark_L wrote:

Problem: can't afford them

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:47 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · She never complains

Mark_L wrote:

[In best Jeremy Irons voice imitation:] I don't pay the models; the models pay me.

Jan 02, 2012 at 09:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password