Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Help with group shot.

Bullseye5d2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with group shot.

I want to shoot a group shot of a hockey team, 23 people total including coaching staff etc.

I have 3 strobes (1x580exII + 2X vivitar 285hv)

I have 2 umbrella kits

I was thinking I would place the 2 umbrellas at about eye level, a first one 30 degrees to my right, the other 30 degrees to my left, both shooting trough the umbrellas towards the team, at equal power. I could also use my 3rd strobe directly behind me at higher level, pointing slightly downwards towards the team, at lower power.

Does that make sense at all?

This is the first time I use a lighthing setup with umbrellas so suggestions/corrections are very very welcome.

Dec 31, 2011 at 06:47 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with group shot.

Considering it's your first time doing something like this, I would recommend keeping it very simple. I would recommend using the two umbrellas a few feet left and right of your shooting position at about 10 feet up. The height will give more natural lighting and help shadows fall down instead of back onto other subjects.

Dec 31, 2011 at 09:27 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with group shot.

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
I was thinking I would place the 2 umbrellas at about eye level, a first one 30 degrees to my right, the other 30 degrees to my left, both shooting trough the umbrellas towards the team, at equal power. I could also use my 3rd strobe directly behind me at higher level, pointing slightly downwards towards the team, at lower power.

Eye level horizontally crossed lights is a recipe for one flash canceling the other resulting it flat light. The back rim lighting is a good idea to create separation but with a group it can also create highlights and shadows in odd looking places.

If you want more natural lighting take your clues from nature where light comes from overhead at a downward angle of 45 to reach past the brow into the eyes and model the features face.

For groups I like to use a butterfly pattern, stacking the lights vertically over / under the lens with fill about chin level and key higher than the faces. It creates the same flattering natural modeling on all the faces. See this tutorial for other tips on shooting groups: http://photo.nova.org/Groups/

Dec 31, 2011 at 09:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with group shot.

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
...I was thinking I would place the 2 umbrellas at about eye level...

I don't think that's a good idea most of the time. Instead, I would tilt the umbrellas down at about 30-45 degrees, and then adjust the height until the umbrella shafts point at the group. (The height thus depends on the light-to-subject distance. The further away, the higher it needs to be.)

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with group shot.

Thanks for your input.

Jan 02, 2012 at 02:52 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password