Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Finally pulled the trigger!

eosuser2020
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Finally pulled the trigger!

After going through series of 2nd, 3rd grade tripods, I have finally taken a deep breath and ordered a Gitzo 3541LS. It took lot of heart to get it right this time (I hope). My first buy for 2012. Technically bought in 2011 but will be delivered in 2012... wow, I am feeling so excited! Time to break the news to wife Happy New Year folks...

Dec 31, 2011 at 06:13 PM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Finally pulled the trigger!

Wise decision indeed. While the price on this level of tripod seems steep, it's still a bargain compared to buying 4 more tripods, increasing in quality, over the next 3 years, only then buying the Gitzo for $100 more than it cost today. Thom Hogan did an article on buying the right tripod some time back. I'm sure it's still available on his site. You might have your wife read it to appreciate your purchase.

I went through several myself before buying a Gitzo 1325(replaced by the 3530) a few years ago. I should never need another tripod

Dec 31, 2011 at 06:38 PM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #3 · Finally pulled the trigger!

eosuser2020 wrote:
After going through series of 2nd, 3rd grade tripods, I have finally taken a deep breath and ordered a Gitzo 3541LS. It took lot of heart to get it right this time (I hope). My first buy for 2012. Technically bought in 2011 but will be delivered in 2012... wow, I am feeling so excited! Time to break the news to wife Happy New Year folks...

Congratulate!

I'm sure you will love this beautiful tripod. It is great!

Fjellfalck

Dec 31, 2011 at 06:42 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Finally pulled the trigger!

I have been using Gitzo for many, many years, a Leitz Tiltall before that. Tripods are big and heavy and are an annoyance but a flimsy tripod costs you lots of money when your camera and lens crash to the ground. Get a tripod case to keep it fresh looking.

Jan 03, 2012 at 08:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaneG
• • •
p.1 #5 · Finally pulled the trigger!

Forget the tripod bag, you'll never use it. Get a cover for the ball head instead and or leg covers.
I had a case and it was a pain in the ying yang

It's gonna get scraped when you are out inthe field carting it around ,don't worry about scratches its a functional piece of kit... A workhorse for your art.

Jane

Jan 05, 2012 at 07:52 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · Finally pulled the trigger!

http://bythom.com/support.htm

As Thom says "I can save you at least US$700: just buy the right stuff the first time". I was lucky enough to follow this advice, but only because someone was willing to sell me a near-new Gitzo 1348 for $200 (still the best deal on photo gear I have come across). If I had to pay $800 the first time around I am sure I would have spent $100 on a Slik, followed by $200 on some second-rate item. It is just so counter-intuitive for beginners to "buy right the first time" when they don't have money to burn.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:16 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Finally pulled the trigger!

Congrats ... For several years I used a heavy, but lower-weight-bearing Bogen with a pan head. But when I bought a Canon 500mm, I got a Gitzo 3541 XLS and an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead. Hopefully I will not have to upgrade for many years.

Jan 08, 2012 at 07:07 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Finally pulled the trigger!

The Gitzo was one of the best buys I made. It was expensive but after four years of solid use and realizing that it will last me a lifetime in the end it was probably the least expensive piece of gear I will ever buy.
Like Jane said get a BH cover. The RRS covers I have get more use than any thing but I do have a TT Bazooka I use for road trips.
If you hike at all Optech makes a great carry strap as well.
Enjoy the new gear!

Dave

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password