Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Why VR or IS???

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Why VR or IS???

I used to shoot Canon 500/4 IS and then Nikon 300 VR. I am not strong enough to handhold any of these lenses+monster cameras. So they are always on tripod.
the question is why do we buy IS/VR when we have to shoot on tripod any way? Exception of course for very few hunks out there who can Handhold them.

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:08 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #2 · Why VR or IS???

Espresso hops me up enough to want to handhold. IS makes it possible

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Why VR or IS???

Seriously, the answer is why not. IQ is not much affected by the minimal use of extra glass in the long lenses and VR/IS helps rather often at high magnification. 95% of the time my 500/4 IS is used on a beanbag or (briefly) handheld. Sometimes it is on a monopod and rarely on a tripod. I used to use a 300/2.8 IS handheld rather often as well. You don't have to be very strong to handle that for short periods.

EBH

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM
TDiamond

p.1 #4 · Why VR or IS???

Might be different if you used a monopod

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:15 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Why VR or IS???

You are telling me you cannot hand hold a 300mm lens. Then I guess IS is not meant for you, but for the majority of photos that either hand hold or possibly use a monopod, the IS is a god send.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:08 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Why VR or IS???

500, 300, and 200 are quite hand-holdable.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:33 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Why VR or IS???

chez wrote:
You are telling me you cannot hand hold a 300mm lens. Then I guess IS is not meant for you, but for the majority of photos that either hand hold or possibly use a monopod, the IS is a god send.

I used monopod on a cruise ship---tripod was no no--- and the images I got were really sharp without IS/VR. I will buy a 400/2.8 with VR, just because it comes with all the modern glass and coating and better AF, not because of VR. Have no choice but to pay for VR.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:59 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Why VR or IS???

jdben622 wrote:
500, 300, and 200 are quite hand-holdable.

Are 6ft and 250 lbs? and go to the gym daily?

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:00 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Why VR or IS???

6' 2" and 225#

But it's more technique than strength. You need to form a triangular brace with your weak arm to steady the lens...just like shooting a rifle.

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:07 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Why VR or IS???

jdben622 wrote:
6' 2" and 225#

But it's more technique than strength. You need to form a triangular brace with your weak arm to steady the lens...just like shooting a rifle.

Well, easy to say when you have the strength. Want to trade with me?, 70 yo, 5ft6 and 150lbs?
Actually I am happy the way I have been. No need for VR with tri/monopod.

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Why VR or IS???

thats why they have that on/off switch. use at your leisure, want, need.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Why VR or IS???

nugeny wrote:
I used monopod on a cruise ship---tripod was no no--- and the images I got were really sharp without IS/VR. I will buy a 400/2.8 with VR, just because it comes with all the modern glass and coating and better AF, not because of VR. Have no choice but to pay for VR.

Depends what shutter speed you were using. Also depends on what you are shooting with your big lens. Birds in flight are very challenging to shoot off of a tripod.

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Why VR or IS???

chez wrote:
Depends what shutter speed you were using. Also depends on what you are shooting with your big lens. Birds in flight are very challenging to shoot off of a tripod.

I would say it is the opposite. Usually it is better to shoot BIF hand held than use a tripod.

EBH

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:45 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Why VR or IS???

EB-1 wrote:
I would say it is the opposite. Usually it is better to shoot BIF hand held than use a tripod.

EBH

The biggest lens I can confortabley handhold is 70-200. For BIF I am with Chez. It is great with a good tripod and ballhead+sidekick or similar.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:27 PM
droopy1592
• • •
p.1 #15 · Why VR or IS???

Real men are ready to hand hold at a moment's notice

wait...

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Why VR or IS???

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Exactly what I said

Dec 30, 2011 at 07:23 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Why VR or IS???

i don't know. i hand hold my 200-400/4 almost exclusively and i am smaller than you. if you have lousy technique, even 28mm shots can be ruined.

Herb...

nugeny wrote:
Well, easy to say when you have the strength. Want to trade with me?, 70 yo, 5ft6 and 150lbs?
Actually I am happy the way I have been. No need for VR with tri/monopod.

Dec 30, 2011 at 07:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Why VR or IS???

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Agreed. Racing motorcycles, too. IS generally turned off for this. Maybe in Mode 2 (Canon) for predictable trajectories.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:09 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Why VR or IS???

HerbChong wrote:
i don't know. i hand hold my 200-400/4 almost exclusively and i am smaller than you. if you have lousy technique, even 28mm shots can be ruined.

Herb...

Thanks for the genreous compliment, Herb. I do have a lousy tech. It is hard to do it just few times a year. I wish I was a bobot. That is why the tri/monopod is my friend.
Bob

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Why VR or IS???

nugeny wrote:
... I wish I was a bobot. That is why the tri/monopod is my friend.
Bob

Bobot. Is that a robot from Planet Bob?

I can see it now... "Danger, Will Robinson!" Robot BOB9's arms are akimbo and wildly waving about. Left arm is a Nikkor *ED 400/2.8 IF MF; "the smasher". Right arm is a Canon EF 1200/5.6 L USM; "the finder". Who needs VR or IS. This is old school bot stuff.

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password