Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · question about - buy & sell forum

JerryL2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question about - buy & sell forum

There is another B&S thread going, talking about a 2 hour window when selling an item, so it made me think of this question.

Ok, say I see an item I like, but I need to add money into my paypal account to buy said item.

My thinking is, I would tell the seller, ok i'll take it, please allow me 2 days to add money into my paypal account, at this point the seller would say, yes that is acceptable or, no I'm looking for payment ASAP (which seems fair to me).

By the same token, if the seller has a 2 hour window in which he needs to be paid, then I'm thinking he should state that when he accepts the offer, however, I've been at work and PM'd the seller saying I would take the item, but was unable to get back online until after work.

My question is, what is the best way for me (the buyer) to handle or expect the transaction to be handled?

peace

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:25 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question about - buy & sell forum

JerryL2,
I always allow for "extenuating circumstances" when involved in a sell. But I must admit 2days is a bit much for me to wait for your funds to appear in a PP acct but then again if I had accepted your check, money order or whatever, unless expressed/overnighted mail,UPS, FedEx or even Priority(depending on address/delivery time) that same amount of time is plausable.
The key here is to communicate with the seller. Ask him to call you, call him be upfront with the seller and I am sure if you are sincere in your wanting to buy, things will work out.
As I stated in my post to the above thread you refer to, I am flexable if I feel the intent is sincere.
I know Will very well and I am sure he will agree, in context but not necessarily in procedure since as a seller he does have the right to sell to whom he pleases, that communicating any problems in getting the seller their money is YOUR(buyer) priority. There are variables in any sale/buy. I usually want my money ASAP. If I know the person buying or selling that also influences my decision.
That is not to say by any means that this is "foolproof" but just my take on ANY transaction.
I have had more than my fair share of "yeah, I will take it, check is in the mail or PP funds on their way" and miss the sale. Never hear from the seller again.
Hope this sheds some light..
Best!
Dan

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:50 PM
JerryL2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question about - buy & sell forum

mdbassman wrote:
But I must admit 2days is a bit much for me to wait for your funds to appear in a PP acct but then again if I had accepted your check, money order or whatever, unless expressed/overnighted mail,UPS, FedEx or even Priority(depending on address/delivery time) that same amount of time is plausable.

Right, communication is the key, espeically by the buyer in this regard.

peace

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:02 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question about - buy & sell forum

As you stated...communication, communication, communication is the key. The more information shared, the better the overall transaction.

I once purchased a lens here (from an established member) when I didn't have enough in my PP account and was refinancing the house and didn't want to do any CC charges or move money from the bank. I asked if it was OK to send him a deposit to hold the lens and that I would pay the balance in a week once my funds were clear. He was fine with that and there was no problem but I would never expect a seller to 'hold' any merchandise under normal circumstances. If an item is for sale, then the buyer should be ready to make payment immediately or tell the seller upfront when exactly they will make the payment. It is up solely to the discretion of the seller whether or not to wait 3 days or even 3 minutes for payment. I've sold items here where a buyer has told me they'll take it but are on the road, can they pay me when they get home at (X) time...it is MY choice whether to allow that or not (I usually do)...the point is, the better the communication, the more likely I will wait for payment and the longer I'm willing to allow the buyer to get home or make any arrangements, etc.

Omar

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:22 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question about - buy & sell forum

Not sure why you would need 2 (or whatever) days to move money into PP to buy anything. When using Paypal, you have 2 choices - link a credit card and use that. Or link a bank account and use that. Either method will allow you to pay instantaneously. There is no need to move money here and there to work with Paypal when it comes to paying somebody.

About your original question, for me as a seller, I don't have problems waiting for funds as long as the buyer is making a reasonable explanation (for example, mailing a check). One of the reasons why I as a seller do not like to deal with excuses is because some buyers (not you specifically) are flaky and they just want to bid time to see if they can get a better deal while waiting or see if I will budge on the price if there is no "apparent demand" for what I am selling. I've sold quite a few things here and I have heard a lot of funny stuff and excuses from all sorts of buyers.

For me as a buyer, I always communicate intent to buy by saying "I will take it, send me your Paypal ID". And then after that, I do exactly what I say. If I am undecided, I always tell the seller I will think about it some more and in the meantime if somebody wants it, to go ahead and sell it immediately to them. So I do not dick around and make the seller wait for me, until the moment that I am ready to commit to buy.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · question about - buy & sell forum

well, just for the sake of clear discussion, PP doesn't always provide a buyer with access to his/her credit card, even though said PP user has on his/her PP account a credit card that has been officially logged, connected, validated, praised, elevated to sainthood, whatever the F PayPal does. "For reasons we're not quite clear about, says PP, your CC will have to be "re-connected," and that will take 4 to 6 days. Don't ask me how I know this

that said, USPS MO plus 20$ for overnight delivery via Express Mail gets money to a seller w/o hassle (not so with USPS Priority Mail), at least in my experience. With other buyers and sellers of integrity, a personal check and cross-shipping is fine with me. Hell, I'd sell the Monkey whatever gear I had he might be interested in on his word alone about when I could receive his check. And If I wanted to buy from him, I'd ship off the money ASAP. And there are a whole bunch of other folks here on this site I'd work with like that, and, in fact, have.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM
JerryL2
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · question about - buy & sell forum

Binh Ly wrote:
Not sure why you would need 2 (or whatever) days to move money into PP to buy anything. When using Paypal, you have 2 choices - link a credit card and use that. Or link a bank account and use that. Either method will allow you to pay instantaneously. There is no need to move money here and there to work with Paypal when it comes to paying somebody.

I have my paypal account linked to my checking account. I moved money to paypal and the system told me to allow 3-5 days for the transaction to take place. Since I did this today, tomorrow is Friday, then the long weekend, I will double check on the length of time of transfer.

OR, are you saying if I have $50.00 in my paypal account and I want to pay someone $100.00, I just "send funds", then cover them with my bank account?

peace

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:17 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · question about - buy & sell forum

JerryL2 wrote:
OR, are you saying if I have $50.00 in my paypal account and I want to pay someone $100.00, I just "send funds", then cover them with my bank account?

Yes, if you have PayPal linked to your bank account, it will do an instant payment, withdrawing the funds from your bank account. You do not have to wait the 3-4 days it takes for a transfer of funds to be credited to PayPal. You just need to be certain you have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover the payment.

This information is available in the PayPal help pages.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:48 AM
JerryL2
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · question about - buy & sell forum

DanBrown wrote:
This information is available in the PayPal help pages.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:04 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password