New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

patrickphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I should be able to find the link eventually. I'm pretty sure it was here on FM though, there was a discussion about the smaller RAW settings on Canon cameras, and a few shooters brought to light a issue with close to white and white values showing really really bad color shift in small RAW. I tested it and found it to be true. I don't touch the settings ever after I saw this.

Some of the reasons this comes about can be found

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/sRaw.pdf

Test it for yourself. You will find zone 8 and up will have issues with color shifting, and if you edit the values in raw editors you will have more issues due to the fact Canon hasn't released all the details of s and m Raw.

Dec 31, 2011 at 07:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I use Aperture exclusively for my 7D files that are on average 24MB. There are export plugins available for Smugmug but they are all from 3rd party developers. The one I use works great. I set the export quality as a custom 50%jpeg but you could go much smaller than that. The nice thing about Smugmug is when your family goes to view them they only see the optimized size for their computer screen size but have the option to click on larger sizes (I'm guessing you already know this though). I would think that around a 25% jpeg at Quality 8-10 would be fine for what you want to do.
I also own LIghtroom and have often wanted to switch but I can't get away from Aperture's much better organizational abilities (IMHO). I also have totally converted to macs and the integration through my desktops, laptops, iphones, ipads and appleTV is too good to pass up. I do feel however that LIghtroom is much better at NR and Sharpening and hope Aperture 4.0(X) may improve on these areas.

I would also think that shooting Raw + Jpeg may help at first and this would allow you to delete the RAWs for all files you are happy with the jpeg for. Personally I would never do this as having the RAW is so valuable for the future and being able to produce multiple versions/sizes for different applications without mutlitple degradation from resaving jpeg masters.

Edit: here is the plugin I use and it is listed in Smugmugs help pages as the "official" aperture export option. http://www.davidholmesphoto.com/aperturetosmugmug
I also found this one but haven't tried it yet. http://nzwidgets.com/

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

scalesusa wrote:
Use Lightroom. There are export modules to export a jpeg directly to Smugmug or flickr, and others. Just select the edited images you want, set the size you want to export, and its is very slick.

BTW, it is recommended that you use a max of 75% for export to Smugmug.

He has Aperture 3 already and probably doesn't want to change. I wouldn't (tried it and didn't care for the LR interface). And, like LR, Aperture has free plugins for auto export/resize to all the popular upload sites like Smugmug, FB, Flickr, etc. Actually FB & Flickr were already installed in my version of Aperture and are seen as icons on the left top.

Here's Apple "official" page but there are many off-site sources for Aperture plugins.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:38 PM
kurtis miller
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

patrickphoto wrote:
... And the processing time for sRAW is the same as full RAW in computer...

Is this accurate?

I shoot a 60D and the image files are different from a 5DII, but my mRAW only takes 11seconds to process on my laptop where as full RAW takes 22seconds to process to a .jpg. I find the mRAW (while color correction/contrast is more touchy) is perfectly acceptable out of Canon's DPP...Interesting to think it would be different for the 5DII.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.