Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac ...

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

http://www.neowin.net/news/thunderbolt-to-finally-be-on-windows-pcs-in-april-2012

now it might actually become something usable because it really didn't make ripple for apple.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:20 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

Huh?

It was never exclusive to begin with; there was just no interest from risk-averse, low-margin PC manufacturers to bring it to market faster. Intel's said from the beginning it would eventually come to their off-the-shelf chipsets. And so now it is. No news here.

It already is usable, and it already is making a significant ripple. Everybody wins when it comes to lower-end systems.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

list the multiple products using thunderbolt that are on the shelf at reasonable cost to the world consumer right now?

and actually yes it was given exclusive use for 1 year. thus high pricing. cabling for TB is rather pricey too. that all might change when it leaves the distortion field

had TB not been in Apples hands with its exclusivity. TB would have been priced to sell and been on most boards and video cards and monitors.

i have questioned quite a few newer MBP (with the TB port) owners about it. most had no idea what that port was. it was almost comical. they asked me what it was for.

Edited on Jan 01, 2012 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

Meh. USB 3 is barely widely supported yet.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

colinm wrote:
Huh?

It was never exclusive to begin with; there was just no interest from risk-averse, low-margin PC manufacturers to bring it to market faster. Intel's said from the beginning it would eventually come to their off-the-shelf chipsets. And so now it is. No news here.

It already is usable, and it already is making a significant ripple. Everybody wins when it comes to lower-end systems.

Um...as a guy who has worked for one of the largest manufacturers in the world for nearly two decades, I disagree, pretty much in every respect.

Just because Apple and/or Intel get behind something doesn't mean it is going to be a huge thing. I could cite lots of detailed examples and reasons why, but I'm going to bother - too much e-fighting lately. It boils down to cost, customer demand and industry support. Firewire tried really hard too, but it didn't happen either. Thunderbolt has a chance, but it will take a while. It will almost certainly co-exist with USB 3.0 for a long time.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

EB-1 wrote:
Meh. USB 3 is barely widely supported yet.

i'm glad you think so.
got enough for me so far right now
what do you need in USB3?

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:28 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thunderbolt to no longer be the exclusive I/O of the Mac clan

I use USB3 for both my card reader and external HD, it makes a very significant difference. Cost me about $8 for the add on USB3 card to slot into my computer and that's the price for a non widely accepted (used) technology. Somehow I don't think that TB is going to be quite that cheap and easy....

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password