Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2011 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

KibblesNbitz wrote:
You can pretty much call up any insurance company and get that type of policy. Some call it a personal articles policy, others have other names. State Farm and Hill & Usher seem to be the favorites if I remember correctly. Working pro's usually use insurance through the PPA, but that wont help if you're not a pro. You may have to specify that you want "all perils" or "all hazards" covered, and you may have to pay extra, but from what I remember most of the personal articles policies are all perils save for a few very specific things
...Show more

good to know, thanks. when i asked my agent they said there were no options that would cover all perils, so i suspect either that company doesn't do it, or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:45 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

goosemang wrote:
good to know, thanks. when i asked my agent they said there were no options that would cover all perils, so i suspect either that company doesn't do it, or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'd go with a little bit of both maybe I know for sure it exists, lots of people have all hazards policies. Some companies, especially the smaller ones, just don't offer it...

EDIT: There's lots of threads on here on the subject, a search might be helpful...here's one to get you started

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1042141

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:15 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.7 #3 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

"... I have to call "nonsense" on that one. :-)"

Well, go outside next sunny day, point your lens straight up, and have a real good look at your coatings. Mind you, as I am personally very short sighted I can focus on objects much closer than most can, and I have often been put off buying secondhand lenses with "perfect" coatings because I can see the smearing! The word "mint" is the most over-misused term in photography!

There isn't a cleaning method in existence that will leave your lens coatings in factory fresh condition. Maybe its an issue I am very fussy about, but a "cleaned" lens isn't a lens with pristine coatings.

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.7 #4 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

David -- I agree. My goal is to never touch my front lens element with anything except blown air from a Rocket -Air, and that rarely done. I clean only if I must, using Singh Ray solution and lint-free cloth or Kodak lens tissues.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:42 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.7 #5 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

I took the filters off my lenses and stopped using them because of this thread.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dortizphoto
• •
p.7 #6 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

rogie wrote:
I took the filters off my lenses and stopped using them because of this thread.

Don't blame us if your lenses catch the flu, it is flu season ya know.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:38 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.7 #7 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

Hi guys, and Happy New Year!

One question ... when you talk about "ghosting" etc.. is this what you mean ...

Note in the background (top left, around the 11:00 position) you'll see these small lights (green), but it almost looks doubled or ghosted. Is that one of the adverse effects of using a filter?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/60s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jan 02, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.7 #8 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

Ghosting are the rainbow-like droplets of light that extend away from an off-center strong point source of light, like the sun if it is in the frame. Usually crossing the frame through center to the opposite side. They can be various shapes and colors in places they shouldn't be.

Yours are simply OOF light sources.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:51 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.7 #9 · Time to ask the pros for advice ...

Thanks Gun. Stan posted the following message early on in the thread and I thought that's what he meant.

stanj wrote:
Next time you have a few spare minutes, take a picture of your house at night. Or just the street lamp, in such a way that it's off center. You'll end up with two - one exactly opposite, upside down. That's what the filter did.

Cheers,
Dave

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password