Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

Why not the 28 1.8, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 for that same money?

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:51 AM
Robr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

When I rebuild my setup the first lenses bought were the 3 zooms.
Later I added the primes.
Zooms are allround tools, primes are special tools.
Only if you need an f 1.4 lens then the question is answered allready.
The 5DmkIi has good usable high ISO. So with the 24-70 you should be covered very wll.
Anyway enjoy your new lens!

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:11 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

The trio of primes mentioned would be a good choice as well. It's just that zooms
are easier to work with in situations where things are changing quickly, such as
parties/weddings and the like.

If you can take your time, then the primes should give better overall image quality.
As for the 24-70L, it is pretty special in how it renders subjects at typical portrait and
studio distances, and the pseudo macro capability is quite useful.

It really boils down to how deliberate of a shooter you are. If there's time to swap
lenses, I'd go with primes. But often there is not.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:29 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

rockiteer wrote:
portrait, landscape, stills. the zoom does me good when i do events but prefer the sharpness of prime.

thanks.

There is more to it than sharpness alone when using the 35L. One of it's advantages is that it is very usable @ 1.4. Which opens up a lot of possibilities in low light and/or shallow DOF shooting.

But I think the 35L is a bit limited as an only portrait lens. The 35mm FL on 5D2 is great for (environmental) full body portraits. But that is about it. So, unless you are planning on doing a lot of full body shots, I would recommend the zoom. The zoom will allow you to get a feeling for the different focal lengths. You can always add a prime in the future.

Another good option is to buy the 24-105L and add a 35/2 or 50 1.4. This will be in your budget IIRC. And you will have the best of both worlds (zoom / prime).

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

zino wrote:
35L is superb but also you should consider 24L ii.

The 24L and the 35L are certainly fine lenses, but... as the only lens on a 5D2 either would be a very unusual choice and would not likely come close to meeting the rather large range of needs that the OP described.

OP wrote: "portrait, landscape, stills. the zoom does me good when i do events but prefer the sharpness of prime"

In terms of the needs of the OP, a good zoom would almost certainly make more sense for the subjects he mentions. It is hard to imagine how either of the likely zoom choices (24-70 f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4 IS) would fail to be sharp enough. I shoot the 24-105 and regularly make quite large prints from images it produces on a full frame camera. If the OP isn't getting sharp enough images from such lenses, he probably won't get that level of sharpness from the primes either - the issue is more likely shooting technique or post-processing workflow.

Dan

(And, as I was typing, the previous poster suggested the 24-105 plus the 35mm f/2 and the 50mm f/1.4. I use all there of these lenses, and this combination is optically excellent, very flexible, and not as costly.)

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:29 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

looks like your budget is $1200ish from your lens choices. This is what I would get

1) 35 f2 + 85 1.8/100f2 ~ $600 + 17-40 F4L ~ $600

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fjellfalck
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

Hi

I personally love the 24-70 f/2.8 on the 5D mkII. I use it 90% of the time.

A zoom is much more flexible compared to one single L prime.

I would select that one rather than the 24-105. Many prefer the 24-105 because of IS and longer reach, others the 24-70 because it is faster and slightly better on the wide end. Both are great.

You might add faster primes later - like the 35 f/1.4 - if that is important for your low light shooting.

Just my advice:-)

Fjellfalck

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:25 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

24-105

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:38 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

24-105 if i had to pick ONE

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:07 PM
dshipley
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

Personally I prefer to shoot primes... so if I was starting from nil my first two choices would be the 35L and the 85 1.8. Most of my shooting would be covered with those two lenses, but what works for me may not work for you.

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:34 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

dshipley wrote:
Personally I prefer to shoot primes... so if I was starting from nil my first two choices would be the 35L and the 85 1.8. Most of my shooting would be covered with those two lenses, but what works for me may not work for you.

Good advice. The thing about the 35L is that it is so good! Also, having the option to shoot at 1.4 can make the difference between getting a shot and not. Although I'm sure the 24-70 is a good lens (I've only shot with it one time and wasn't that impressed) I don't often hear it is an AMAZING lens. Isn't the 35L part of the holy trinity? That says a lot about the lens. So, do you want a good lens that is versital or an amazing lens that will put a smile on your face

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:09 AM
rockiteer

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lens for new 5D Mark II

thank you all for your great input! i think it does make sense for my needs to invest in a zoon lems first and get the prime/s later. while it is ideal to have a 35, 50 and 85 primes, i have to be more realistic that i usually find myself having no time to sawp lenses once i'm out there. i will weigh the 24-70 vs 24-105.

you are all have been a great help!

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password