Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Flash brackets?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Flash brackets?

Thinking about picking up the QRS H2. What else is out there that is comparable? I had a stroboframe cameraflip several years ago and the QRS seems to be a step or two up. The QRS appears to have enough room to allow me to use my Phottix Odin. I don't think that would work on the cameraflip due to the flip's clockwise rotation.

Thoughts?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:42 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Flash brackets?

have you considered the RRS flash backets?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B91-QR-PPP&type=3&eq=&desc=B91-QR-Portrait-Perfect-Package-(Large)

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Flash brackets?

ecidi wrote:
have you considered the RRS flash backets?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B91-QR-PPP&type=3&eq=&desc=B91-QR-Portrait-Perfect-Package-(Large)

That looks nice. Better quality than the one I'm looking at. A couple things though:

1) Looks like more work - i.e. you have to rotate the camera and the flash.
2) There doesn't appear to be a "stop" to keep the flash perpendicular in portrait mode.

The thing appealing about the other bracket I mentioned is that the flash doesn't move. All that moves is the camera.

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:01 PM
Dale Kirchhofe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Flash brackets?

I use the Di100FR2 bracket from Newton Brackets. It has served me well, folds flat for storage and does not place the flash too high to be unsafe. Worth looking at.

http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/

dale

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:48 PM
ProImages

p.1 #5 · Flash brackets?

Custom Brackets Pro-M kit
http://www.custombrackets.com/

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · Flash brackets?

I have both the CB pro M and the RRS brackets... They both have their pros and cons. The CB adds a lot of bulk and weight but it's easy to rest the weight on your left arm which for me is good because I have limited use of my right arm. The RRS is great if you already have a L bracket that you regularly keep on the camera. The biggest and only downfall in the bar that attaches to the L bracket, if you shoot with a grip and put it on the bottom it's in the way of your hand, if you put it on the side it's in the way of a short zoom like the 24-70.... The RRS rocks with something like a 70-200 (or larger) where you can attach it right to the lens foot. The CB sucks with a long lens on the camera.

Even with the downfalls of the RRS I use it much more often than the CB as it actually fits in my case unlike the CB...

Jan 01, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Mark2Mark
• •
p.1 #7 · Flash brackets?

I have the CB Digital Pro M and CB Folding T brackets.
The folding T is a flash-rotating bracket and the Pro M is a camera rotating bracket.
As above the Pro M adds a lot of bulk, but it was the bracket of choice when I was asked to shoot a wedding. The rotation of the camera is quick, easy and smooth. It's a really good quality piece of kit.

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:43 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · Flash brackets?

I've gone through a few pieces over the last 3 years finally settling on an ALZO bracket.

ALZO Rotating Bracket

It's not hokey. It's real and it works with a ton of flexibility. There is a couple of weak points about it, but if I look at it overall.. It does everything I need and it doesn't fell as though it's going to fall apart when I'm shooting.

I have a T5DR Quantum mounted on this with either a PhaseOne body/lens or a pro body Nikon.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Flash brackets?

RRS WPF-QR
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR
note the relationship between the flash head rectangle and the sensor rectangle positioning. with the others in portrait mode the light fall off doesn't match. now this will depend on your distance.

it also easily allows you to use with your tripod assuming an AS type clamp is in use on it.

folds compactly for travel.

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 03:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Flash brackets?

I think I've tried them all and it's the RRS bracket for me..

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:04 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Flash brackets?

That looks good John. Is there an option for arca clamp on the base?

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:06 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Flash brackets?

The WPF-QR changes the flash orientation 90 degrees when the camera is vertical. That's a deal-breaker if you're bouncing light off the ceiling IMO. I prefer the design where the flash stays put and the camera rotates.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Flash brackets?

are you kidding? you can in that position rotate the head 6 positions a total of 180 deg and bounce off the ceiling, walls or whatever. there are stops on the sb-700 and 900 that allow for that. i can bounce from any position i need to with any of these flash units.

you'll learn.

i like designs that give me maximum flexibility for use. many of those other designs add considerable weight, bulk and complexity.

KISS

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Flash brackets?

no i'm not kidding. I don't want to have to adjust the flash head every time I rotate the camera one way or another!

I want to rotate the camera and have the flash stay in the same position.

Thanks for your suggestion but I'm not interested in any solution that requires more than a rotation of the camera platform.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Flash brackets?

using the RRS when rotating your camera body to portrait mode the flash assy too is automaticallyplaced in portrait mode without user intervention thus having a more optimal light distribution for portrait mode. the only time you will need to adjust as with any other rig you still need to tilt the flash head up to bounce. in fact with the RRS bracket used your flash is in optimal use position unlike most of the others using a simpler design. close up this will make a difference. if using a bare bulb assy anthing goes

Jan 18, 2012 at 06:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Flash brackets?

sjms wrote:
using the RRS when rotating your camera body to portrait mode the flash assy too is automaticallyplaced in portrait mode without user intervention thus having a more optimal light distribution for portrait mode. the only time you will need to adjust as with any other rig you still need to tilt the flash head up to bounce. in fact with the RRS bracket used your flash is in optimal use position unlike most of the others using a simpler design. close up this will make a difference. if using a bare bulb assy anthing goes

I know and that's what i don't want. I don't want a bounce card bringing light a different side when composed vertically vs horizontally and I don't want to have to rotate the flash head when composing a vertical picture. Thanks for the suggestion

Jan 18, 2012 at 06:37 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Flash brackets?

if alzo offers an arca quick-mount I may buy that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:03 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Flash brackets?

looks like alzo does not offer an arca option. I'll probably pick up the Custom Brackets QRS H2 at some point.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password