Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

This is a 5 image stitch of Amalfi on the coast of Italy. I know that light is not the best but perhaps a sky replacement would do this image well? The only reason I ask is because my parents want this blown up quite large. They like it as is but I don't.

Amalfi (8 of 8) by wfarrell4, on Flickr

Sorry for the poor quality image but on the full size file you can actually read the hotel name in the center of the photo on the awning.

Dec 27, 2011 at 06:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Lots of crayons to play with.

Some sharpening, some selective color adjustments, selective burning to cliff rock and a small crop off the top. Second one with some additional left crop, third with more off of the right and bottom.

The first question I would ask is "What's the point" of the image you want the viewer to take away from it. Is it the sky, the sea, the hotel, the seaside, the beach, hillside, cliff, etc. Is it the color, the pattern, the contrast, etc. This one has a lot going on, so you won't be able to "isolate" anything, but you can probably "push/pull" it a little in one direction or the other to give it the "interest" that you're looking for. First order of business is to identify which area(s) you want to showcase as your "interesting" element(s) ... then use "techniques of choice" to do so.

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Dec 27, 2011 at 09:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2011 at 07:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Here's a version with some smart sharpening and a mid-tone contrast bump (USM 16, 60, 0).

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:23 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Maybe some gratuitous clouds....

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:35 PM
astronomer

p.1 #5 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Nice image, but to me it is the large area of blue sky that is the issue -- in that there is too much negative space and the eye gets caught there. Perhaps a crop from the upper right corner?

Paul

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:53 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

In the original I find the the sunlit foreground looks darker than I'd expect a sunlit scene to be and the sky and white buildings too bright. That's the unfortunate consequence of the fact digital cameras can't record a full range on a sunny day.

What I did below with adjustment layers is make the top half a bit darker and contrasty while lightening the foreground adding a slight bit of darker vignette around the edges. By using different color and width mats around a photo you can alter the perception of the contents because the viewer's perception will "key" off the negative space. Here I think a blue mat would work well to help balance the pizza wedge of water and sky that cuts the photo in half along the diagonal. I sampled the rule color from the sky near the horizon.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

I am not in the same league as the other posters but I took a shot.. Double raw processing; selective color (neutrals only); Sharpen for web.. Thank you for allowing me to play along.. By the way, nice scene..

Double raw

Edited on Dec 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

This image has composition problems. The best way to make a more appealing image is literally to shoot a better image.

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:17 AM
fotonix
• • •
p.1 #9 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Here's an idea ... if your parents like it as it is, why change it? Now for your own wall, you can modify, res-shoot, or whatever.

When having a large print made, ensure that what comes out of the process matches with your expectations for color, contrast and saturation.

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:30 AM
lylejk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Not a perfect edit but won't spend much time on a dinky like this one (though still a cool capture). Mainly boosted the saturation til it hurts (since that's to my taste; may not be to yours). Some jpegs had to be cleaned up too (and am sure I missed more then a few especially in the cloud area but didn't want to replace the clouds with fake ones).

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:49 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #11 · Help me make this image more appealing - 5 Shot Amalfi Pano

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I had subscribed to this thread but apparently I didn't so I would have responded sooner. I agree, the composition sucks. As a poor excuse(s), I was only shooting for 6 weeks at the time this picture was taken, the lighting was horrid, and I was suffering from jet lag.

I think the addition of some clouds and some curve adjustments should help!

-Will

Dec 31, 2011 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password