Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

mxquattro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

Im heading out to Iceland in a couple of weeks and decided against bringing my laptop to unload my pictures on to. I figure it is much easier just bringing a couple of 32GB sd cards instead.
I currently have a 32 GB Class 10 in there now but I cant say im happy with it. If I take a 5 minute night time exposure, it takes about 5 minutes to write to the card. That seems ridiculous. Granted, i didnt spend $300 on the card, but i would think class 10 is class 10, no?

There any brands that might be better than others, or is there a way that I can significantly cut down that write time? Gear is 1DMk2.

Thanks!
bob

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:01 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

mxquattro wrote:
If I take a 5 minute night time exposure, it takes about 5 minutes to write to the card. That seems ridiculous.

Exposure time should not affect the writing time, you sure you don't have some "long exposure noise removal" turned on.

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:20 PM
mxquattro
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

I can check that. But it definitely seems to be 1:1 although I didnt get a stopwatch out. A 30 sec exposure is a 30 sec write. etc. Drives me crazy on the long ones.
Ill go through my menus, that might be it...

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:45 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

Agree with the first answer - time to write to card is nothing more than size of the file against the performance of the card. You might do a reset of the camera - sometimes obscure settings cause fits and are hard to find. I had a similar problem, and it was related to the noise/hot pixel settings.

To answer your original question: No - there can be wide variance in write/read performance of Class 10 (or any class) SD card. Lexar and SANDisk Extreme see
to deliver what they promise.

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

the word is NO. there is no regulation on these things. most, if not all, testing is done "in house" at the manufacturer of said product. lots of variations.

just what make card is it?

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:58 PM
mxquattro
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

It is a Ridata 32GB. I think you guys nailed it, I took off noise reduction and a 30 second bulb exposure wrote to the card in well under a second. Turning it back on, a 30 second bulb exposure took about 30 seconds to write to card. Awesome!

It was a BS exposure, something I deleted immediately since it was just in a closet, but will that affect my pp at all ? Id hate to come back with 1000 photos that are crappy

Thanks guys!
bob

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

still, a single raw or jpg image should not take 30s to write to a reasonably good card.

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:46 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

It doesn't take 30 seconds to write to card, when you have the "noise reduction" enabled, camera takes another 30s blank exposure which it uses to reduce noise. That why it doubles the time.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

Not even close. For example in a synthetic test a Sandisk C10 card might write at 30 MB/sec. and a supposed C10 third-tier branded card may write at 8-10 MB/sec. In-camera performance is typically slower due to overhead. Stick to the Tier 1 brands if you need best SDHC performance.

EBH

Dec 31, 2011 at 04:15 AM
senorjax

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

It doesn't take 30 seconds to write to card, when you have the "noise reduction" enabled, camera takes another 30s blank exposure which it uses to reduce noise. That why it doubles the time.

Exactly.

Jan 01, 2012 at 03:01 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are all Class 10 SD's the same?

keep the noise reduction enabled or you will come back with 1000 crappy shots... bring a thermos :o)

Jan 01, 2012 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password