Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

h00ligan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

Why not supplement with a 55-250
The newer kit lens is very good, and so is the 55-250 for what you pay.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Zatrekaz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

I ended up going with a used 17-85 on ebay for $268. Included the Lens, Canon Hood, and a UV Filter. I don't expect a huge IQ upgrade, but I like the chance for the longer zoom which was my main concern. To many times I have missed good shots on the 18-55 because I could not zoom in.

I want to step into the L lens, but my budget does not permit me at this time. Once I am done with school and can start working full time, I am sure I will be able to step up.

Also, I can tell some people are not reading everything, Lol. I already have the 55-250

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

Not sure how you would miss a shot at 55mm that 85mm would make that much of a difference.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Zatrekaz

p.2 #4 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

It's not a huge difference, no, but it will help. With the 1.6x factor:

Original Lens: 28 - 88
New Lens: 28 - 136

That is a 48mm jump. Not a huge amount that will save or lose the day, but it can make a difference sometimes.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Trevor Sowers
• •
p.2 #5 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

I had a 17-85 and it was much better than many people would give it credit for. Maybe mine was just a good copy, I'm not sure but it was awesome from 28 to 85mm and the wider end was usable but did suffer from soft corners and distortion, but for the price it was a fun lens that was very useful.

Since you are on a low budget you should check out some primes to go with your zooms as they offer versatility of a different kind!

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:23 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

Zatrekaz wrote:
...Currently I can get the 28-135 for $250. My concern with this lens, as mentioned, is the loss of the wide end. I could keep my 18-55, but I really want a "one lens" solution so I don't have to carry my bag with me sometimes. ...I like the 28-135 for its 72mm front element, but I am sure at the end of the day I will be more concerned on the look of the final image than the look of the lens.

I just got the 28-135, and haven't had much chance yet to use it, but I am very pleased so far.

A lot depends, of course, on your shooting style, but for my "one lens to rule them all" choice I found that my old 18-55, and my newer 17-55 IS, were limiting me on reach. I didn't really use the wide end that much. Again, that's me and your use may differ.

Here are two samples from the other day in the Butterfly House at Seattle's Pacific Science Center. The first was shot one-handed just as the butterfly landed briefly on my sleeve. At 1/50 shutter speed you can see a bit of motion blur in the butterfly's wings, but the threads on my field jacket attest to the effectiveness of the lens' Image Stabilization. (Very sharp for a one-handed quick snap with the aperture wide open.)

Canon EOS 7D    28mm    f/3.5    1/50s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    28mm    f/5.0    1/80s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 28, 2011 at 05:32 AM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.2 #7 · Picking a new Walk Around Lens

treaks wrote:
Second on the Sigma 17-70 OS. Great lens.

Treaks

Third'ed. You're not really going to get a jump in quality over the kit lens (it's good but not great), but it's a bit faster and the OS is pretty solid. It's great range for a walk around lens on a crop body. I've done a trip to Turkey and one to Portugal/Spain with only this lens -- makes for light, flexible kit!

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password