Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2011 · You need the best tripod, here it is

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · You need the best tripod, here it is

I got this one and can't be happier. It is as good as the one three times more expensive and more: you can detach one leg in 3 seconds and make it a tripod. Their ballhead is also very good. I know it, I have been using Arca-Swiss.

So make your self a favor, get the best and save 2/3 of the price.
Sirui N1204 4-Section 8x Carbon Fiber Tripod

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=822246&Q=&O=&A=details

Edited on Dec 28, 2011 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:22 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · You need the best tripod, here it is

I looked at a N2204 at my local camera shop, and was really impressed. Comes with a nice bag, decent monopod setup, etc.

The after-rebate Gitzo 2531 is selling for $480 at this point, so for the extra $75, I probably would go that way if I was buying new, though the 4 section Gitzos are going for a lot more.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:03 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · You need the best tripod, here it is

M635_Guy wrote:
I looked at a N2204 at my local camera shop, and was really impressed. Comes with a nice bag, decent monopod setup, etc.

The after-rebate Gitzo 2531 is selling for $480 at this point, so for the extra $75, I probably would go that way if I was buying new, though the 4 section Gitzos are going for a lot more.

I compared. Gitzo would have costed me over $900.00 +monopod $350? Gitzo 2531 isn't in the league of the one I bought N1204. It is 4 sections and i you are not to tall, you will never need the extended center.
In addition, I don,'t have to have a monopod, It is built in. I just take it off my tripod in few seconds.
I mounted my D3+300/2.8+tcx2 and it is like a rock. Rock solid!!

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · You need the best tripod, here it is

flawed logic, but as long as it works for you thats all that matters.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · You need the best tripod, here it is

I have only tried one Sirui tripod. And the leg broke, fell off after 5 seconds. And not a monopod leg

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · You need the best tripod, here it is

The link does not work, but seriously, what do you for repairs on cheapie tripods?

EBH

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · You need the best tripod, here it is

EB-1 wrote:
The link does not work, but seriously, what do you for repairs on cheapie tripods?

EBH

Real men use duct tape. If you're really evolved like me, you can use a combination of duct tape and gorilla glue...

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:56 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · You need the best tripod, here it is

EB-1 wrote:

I use a comparatively inexpensive Benro travel tripod sourced directly from China. It has a three year warranty and any work in or out of warranty, you send the tripod to the dealer and they take care of a factory repair. Other brands probably have the same policy.

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · You need the best tripod, here it is

Adorama is a dealer

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:02 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · You need the best tripod, here it is

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=822246&Q=&O=&A=details

Cheapie? I don't find it cheap, It is well, solid built. It came from SF bayarea.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · You need the best tripod, here it is

nugeny wrote:

Cheapie? I don't find it cheap, It is well, solid built. It came from SF bayarea.

So what tripods are you comparing it against? You say that you save 2/3 of the price when buying this one for more than $ 400 !

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · You need the best tripod, here it is

i will say this. just because they can charge that doesn't mean its worth it. all it really means is a larger margin for the product for either the distributer and/or the dealer. when the exchange rate between the EU countries got out of control in the past few years it allowed a vacuum to exist at the bottom. the bottom though is now higher then it was. the Chinese tripods are filling in it in and allowing a tidy profit to be made. now though the Yuan is moving in an ascending mode and will most likely put a crimp on some product markets and may shake a few brandings out from the field. don't let feature laden products induce you into thinking you got the choice tools. jack of all trades is not always the master too. just as long as you accept some of the limitations that might show up under various levels of use. maybe for you this will be the top dog. only time will tell.

there is a difference between support and usability. a 33lb load on a 2.9lb tripod may support but what will be the results. that spider design is really off of ultralight load type tripods. i've said it many times before here some manufacturers tend to play fast and loose with statistics and tech specs.

Edited on Dec 28, 2011 at 08:56 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · You need the best tripod, here it is

nugeny wrote:

i was going to make light of this but my sense of humor might be a little off from yours.

you say the tripod comes from the SF bay area? did you mean from a store there? here is the origin of your product and its not the SF area. more like a few thousand miles west of SFO:
http://www.zssirui.com/EN/frm_ProgramShow_En.aspx?ProgramID=40
Zhongshan SIRUI Photographic Equipment Industry Co., Ltd.
and i quote from their website "DESIGNED AND CREATED IN CHINA"

i think what you need to do is put a real world perspective into your "best" matrix.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:55 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · You need the best tripod, here it is

Friends, I have been shooting with pro-gears for over 10 years. I have the tripod on my hand. My heavy camera, D3 and 300mm.2.8+tc are mounted on it. I am not working for them, not making any advertisement for them.
I am hearing a lot of comments, but I am not sure any one of you have even touched this tripod! I know a good tripod when I see and touch it.

I thought I would make some of you a favor, if you are in the market for a good and not so expensive tripod. This tripod is made in China like most good things you buy in the USA nowadays. It is shipped from Bay Area. I arrived to my home 2 days after I ordered it. I live in California.

So if you already made up your mind that it is a cheapie and of poor quality, just because it is not as expensive as a Gitzo, please disreguard my observation and impression.

Again this is not marketing. As a fellow photo-enthusiast, I thought I would offer an useful observation. NO one has to take my word for it.
So please don't fight me. See it for yourself. You might make yourself a favor.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 01:06 AM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · You need the best tripod, here it is

I still wonder about "" It is as good as the one three times more expensive""

It can't be Gitzo or RRS tripods. Because they don't cost 3x more. What tripods did you compare it against

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:22 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · You need the best tripod, here it is

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I still wonder about "" It is as good as the one three times more expensive""

It can't be Gitzo or RRS tripods. Because they don't cost 3x more. What tripods did you compare it against

As I know it, Gitzo has no tripod with a leg that can be detached and becomes a monopod. A Gitzo tripod with similar specs and load would cost $800 to 900, if you buy a monopod, it would be at least $ 300.00. This is just approximate, I don't have/remember an exact number. But if you are really interested, you may have to spend sometime to compare. As I said , I am really impressed with this tri/monopod.
I used to shoot Canon 1DII+500/4 IS and Manfrotto carbonOne 441(that I still have) + arca Swiss ballhead+ sidekick. It worked wonderfully. But this new Sirui tripod and yes I bought a ballhead from them to, using the old side kick. The new setup works much better, much studier and lighter, much shorter for travelling (it has 5 sections instead of 3).
I don't know how long it will last, but from what I see, I will probably not need another one. I have now 4 tripods of different specs for different situations, I never have any problem/repair.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 01:24 AM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:05 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · You need the best tripod, here it is

Mine is 2205, here is a better link with many pictures and descriptions
http://www.holgacamera.net/servlet/the-2181/sirui-carbon-tripod-n2205/Detail

Edited on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:22 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · You need the best tripod, here it is

How about a Gitzo GT3541LS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567550-REG/Gitzo_GT3541LS_GT3541LS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html

Price after Rebate: $563.38

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:51 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · You need the best tripod, here it is

Tom K. wrote:
How about a Gitzo GT3541LS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567550-REG/Gitzo_GT3541LS_GT3541LS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html

Price after Rebate: $563.38

Hard to really compare. tghe specs are all over. But what ever you get from Gitzo you will have to add a monopod., a good one will cost you $240--$285.00. The Sirui 2205(including built in monopod) costed me $385.00 free shipping.
You may want to order both and return the one you don't want. I just got the Sony "binocular" ---$2000.oo---It didn't deliver for me, so I return it no question asked: my cost $22.00 shipping back. Shippping was free when I bought it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · You need the best tripod, here it is

i think basically the idea, at least mine from an engineering stance is KISS. Keep It Simple St#$ (not a personal statement just the way it goes)
you design a device to do a particular job and do it well. adding things like removable legs for monopods as an additional feature only adds another potential set of issues sooner or later. this is not a new idea. it has come and gone a few times in the past 30 years. i mean while your at it if you really want the best for stability there's the Novoflex Quadropod that is of a fully modular design that can be a tripod or monopod too.

some things you really don't want to compromise on. but then again its about how much use you are going to put into it.

my monopod is a $130 Feisol CM1471R model and that was shipped. rigid and considered by me to be a limited lifetime use product. this is because of the situations i use them in sometimes get out of hand. so far i have been lucky against destruction but i have given 4 away so far to people who have assisted me around the world. i consider a MP a consumable. i consider the Feisol the best bang for the $ in that arena. if lost or broken it is not an integral part of another system. an isolated component that if gone does not fail another anything else. holds the weight of any piece of gear i use and slides right in my tripod bag with either tripod i'm using. the top shaft is 37mm in diameter the Sirui is 28mm. thats the diameter of my lightweight tripod max diameter. i shoot items off of my large tripod using a sidekick usually going pretty fast. i swing the lens/camera assy briskly or as you say rock solid stable for close up or remote

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 05:09 AM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password