Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

veeral
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

Not sure what is wrong with my Pocketwizard TT1 unit for the Canon system but I havent used my system recently. So I decided to change the battery and put fresh ones in. The unit doesn't turn on, i.e. the green light doesn't flicker nor does it test fire.

So I plug the USB cable in and the pocketwizard software detects the unit fine and manages to upgrade the firmware to v6.0.0. I am just stumped as to why this is happening. Anyone experience anything similar ?

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:52 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

When plugged into a USB device, I believe the TT1 is powered by the USB rather than by its batteries. If that's correct, then there's a problem with the battery circuit.

Double check that the contacts are clean, and that battery is inserted correctly.

http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=File:MiniTT1_Battery_Polarity.jpg

If that doesn't work, then a call to tech support may be in order.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:42 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

Sounds like the battery is in wrong or dead. Dead the software show the battery status? You usually have to have the unit turned on for this to register.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:52 AM
dan7768s

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

While you have the TT1 attached to the computer via usb, turn the TT1 on. The PW software will tell you the condition of the batteries.

You said you hadn't used the unit in a while, did you see any battery leakage? That can corrode the battery contacts... and a lot of other stuff.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

veeral
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

Thanks for the replies. My suspicion is that the battery circuit is fault because when I hooked up the Flex TT5 via USB and activated the pocketwizard utility software, I could get the battery status. However, with the MiniTT1, I could not get the battery status indicator to appear in the software at all.

I have not seen any battery leakage at all. Furthermore, I have tried two different 2450 coin battery from two different stores, just to make sure there was no issue with the battery.

Does anyone know what the correct battery circuit inside the MiniTT1 looks like ?

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

You have not yet mentioned if the battery is installed correctly. Please do double check that, and confirm in this thread if it is right. Of course your TT1 may have a problem, but a backwards battery would probably explain your symptoms. And also do not get confused as to which end of a coin cell type battery is plus, becasue it is kind of backward to what you would expect. Also, remember that these threads are for everyone to get help, so take no insult if you have the battery install covered all ready.

You may want to check with Pockwizard support via email to see if they have any useful thoughts. And I have no idea how service works down in Oz, but what ever the process I would guess it is better than self repair. If you are stuck and need things to be working right away, you may want to consider buying another TT5 to use on your camera for now, and then either sell it later or use it on another flash once your TT1 is repaired.

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:34 PM
veeral
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PocketWizard Canon TT1 help

hey Roland, sorry I forgot to mention the battery polarity question. I checked the orientation of my battery in the mini TT1 and it is the same as in the image posted by BrianO. No worries no insult taken :-)

I will post back once I get an answer from the retailer on the pocketwizard warranty procedures.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password