Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Best back up camera??

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best back up camera??

m-51 wrote:
usualy the best back up is a twin of your standard toy

That depends, as I wrote above, on what you are trying to accomplish with your "backup" camera. If it is a camera that you plan to use in tandem with your primary, then having a backup that is the same or very similar can help - though most photographers can adapt pretty quickly to slightly different interfaces if they actually use both cameras a lot.

However, there are other philosophies about what a backup/second camera is supposed to accomplish. For some, the idea is that you want two cameras that provide different strengths, with the roles of primary and secondary alternating depending upon what you shoot. Let's use the 5D2 plus 7D combination as an example. If you were shooting handheld and working with very active subjects, the 7D might be your primary with the 5D2 in reserve as backup. On the other hand, if you then had to shoot something with a static subject and were going to make large prints, the 5D2 might become your primary. Here the "backup" strategy is also a strategy of expanding the range of work you are equipped to do.

Another approach regards the "backup" camera as one that will almost never be used - simply there in case the unthinkable happens. It mainly is only for emergency use, and it would allow you to complete the task in suitable fashion should the primary fail.

Dan

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:44 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best back up camera??

It's a real shame there's no live view small form factor ef mount canon! I'm probably alone in wanting that.

Dec 27, 2011 at 06:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best back up camera??

m-51 wrote:

+1000

That's why I have some duplicates and triplicates.

EBH

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:22 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best back up camera??

m-51 wrote:

I understand the logic here, but disagree.

I have a 5D and 1D2.

This way, I have a great studio camera, a great sports camera, and a back up.

if you get identical bodies, you are stuck with the features of one body even though you own 2

make sense?

greg

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:25 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best back up camera??

Thanks for the replies everyone!

In answer to some of the points raised......I want a backup in case my 40D fails during a shoot....so that is important. However, I have dug my 10D out, and that gives a pretty good account of itself.......less convenient to use, but ok!

I would like to keep a handle on costs, so if I could find something that could do in the studio if pushed, but do better than my G10 when out and about.....that would be excellent.

I also get carried away by reviews...at the moment the NEX-7 seems to fill that spot (once the price falls a bit). The problem is too many choices...so sticking to familiar territory seems sensible! I had my first Canon in the early 60s (incidentally...my brother still uses it on holidays!).

As for jumping between systems...I'm almost woman like in my multi tasking abilities! During my last shoot I jumped from MF film to my 40D to my 1V.....gave the G10 a rest!!

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best back up camera??

h00ligan wrote:
It's a real shame there's no live view small form factor ef mount canon! I'm probably alone in wanting that.

you can use ef lenses on the t3i.

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:55 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best back up camera??

Have you considered any of the micro 4/3 systems? There are a lot of lenses and bodies to select from and the image quality is very good.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best back up camera??

AlexF wrote:
Considering what you shoot I would get s/h 5DII and make 40D your backup

+1

Sooner or later you will want to upgrade from the 40D. Notwithstanding the short-term cost, in the long-run I think it would be better to do in now while the 40D still has useful life as a back-up rather than doing when your 40D used as your primary body fails leaving you with your "bargain" back-up.

Given what you shoot the 5DII which is now on sale would be an ideal choice as a new primary with the 40D reverting to back-up.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:08 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best back up camera??

The 5D11 is a bit pricy to be honest......I keep thinking about the 1Ds2 however...nothing but good reviews for that camera. But for what I mainly do, the 1D3 would easily substitute for the 40D....apart from being a stand in for my G10....too heavy to cart around really...with lenses and so on. The 3/4 format seems the best compromise at the moment, particularly as I would like to do more landscape work in the future...but casual stuff, not making a major expedition out of a day out!!

Regarding what you say about wanting to upgrade my 40D eventually........I did buy it in preference to the 5D originally. And I was getting the upgrade itch a year back...then I started using LR3. It did marvels with the files from then on...the IQ jump was like a real upgrade......so happy again.

I revisited earlier files ( I only shoot raw) and applied the LR3 magic to them too...and some earlier 10D images. I wonder if LR4 when it arrives will give a further boost!!

I also believe quite strongly that prices will start falling...the economic situation is pretty dire and I think Canon and Co will have to start a price war soon to compete for the reduced spare cash people have. I was tempted by the Fuji F10 two weeks ago...it has since dropped 10% in price on the high street...and even more on-line. Sign of things to come I think / hope!

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:58 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best back up camera??

^^^ So if you only need a backup, seems like the 10D would fit that duty when/if called on.

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password