Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · I can't decide which camera to get

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I can't decide which camera to get

I am getting to the point that I am seeking some help here. I currently been using mostly Canon system. I have a 40D with a very basic lens 28-135. It has been very practical but to be honest, I just hate schlepping this SLR sp when I travel abroad. So I have been using my G9, but somehow I find it a bit too heavy and a bit too slow.

I have a budget of a max of $450. I'd like to stay in the p/shoot type of camera. I'm planning to go to Africa (African Safari), or India. I know, I know almost everybody suggest to take my 40D but the thought of carrying it, its enough to discount the thought.

I'd like to find a camera that would be:
small,
RAW capable
GPS ready since I travel extensively
Small, light, be able to shoot in low light if I need it.
Be able to shoot faster between frames. Currently G9 a bit too slow.
I shoot mostly travel, and landscape, no macro, portraits, or people

I tried the Canon S100 too small I have average size hands, but I felt like I was a giant. I am somewhat used to the control and the operation of the G9. It makes me feel like I'm using a mini SLR. The other p/shoot camera that I've seen Lumix 5x , Samsung, the new Sony and Nikon, I didn't find anything close.

I'm not interested in adding another lens, since it would defeat the purpose of using a p/shoot camera. I've seen the new Sony with the longer lens, and it feels like the camera is tipping over.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from this forum. Thanks

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · I can't decide which camera to get

It sounds like your ideal camera hasn't yet been made.

I like the 1DIV and XZ-1. Anything in between should be OK. YMMV

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:26 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #3 · I can't decide which camera to get

thanks for the reality check lol

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:14 AM
squareeyez
• • •
p.1 #4 · I can't decide which camera to get

40D may be an older model but it's still a mighty fine camera. You may be surprised what some sweet L lenses would do for that setup. You gotta commit to one end or the other. Like Jim says - they don't make what you're describing yet. When they do, they'll be sold out overnight at $450 each

I love schlepping around my camera. It isn't that much of a burden but then, I've had something on my back for years now. If it isn't a 50 lb. ruck sack I'm happy!

If I were going to Africa I think I would want a very long lens for the great shots that I would be going for. A G9, S100 or iPhone ain't gonna cut it. But that 40D with a 400mm lens (or preferably more) would knock it out of the ball park!

Just sayin'

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:27 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · I can't decide which camera to get

Sell your 40d and pick up an S100.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:55 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · I can't decide which camera to get

S95 with the add-on grip or S100

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:45 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · I can't decide which camera to get

I have a 40D...I use quality lenses processed in LR3 / CS5...the images are very very good.

I also use a G10 which gives outstanding A3 prints. I also use film a lot...I am into B+W and you can pick up a decent EOS film body for under $100....so maybe take that and a few rolls of film!

Think twice before getting rid of your 40D....it has exceptional IQ at its price point....I get A3 prints out of mine...and could go even higher with B+W work easily A2!! I can do this with my G10 as well...thanks to CS5!

Thee are images that sell to people...

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:04 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #8 · I can't decide which camera to get

Believe me, I'm not knocking down my 40D, it just a matter of convenience. It's one thing traveling domestic, but when it entails multiple time zones and traveling constantly (solo) it's a concern for me.

I'm still considering as a back up using my 40D but not sure that I'd have the budget to spend getting a long lens. I've rented the 75-250 I think and its quite heavy, I can imagine what the 400m lens would be like.

I'm happy with my 40D is the weight and size that I find it a bit of a challenge at times. It could be that the when traveling, not when I'm shooting at my home base.

I even tried the Tamaron 18-250m lens, I was not impressed but its a very light lens. I don't think that I'd get rid of my 40D for now. I'm one of those that don't invest too much money on lenses. I've been using the 28-135m for the longest time, and I know that it's time for me to look for something else, but not sure what based on my budget.

I'm just trying something that I could make some adjustment or compromise. In fact, I was thinking maybe find a longer lens for my G9 and see how that would work. I may not get closer shots or reaching some of the subjects from a distance.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · I can't decide which camera to get

when i used canon i really liked my 40D. and i had a few of their bodies.

now if the GPS ability is important all of Canon is out unless you are willing to drop it into the EXIF info in later. you are asking a bit much from any P/S model camera though there are a few that have it built in.

nikon has V1 compact system and has interchangable lenses of very high quality that produce outstanding images. GPS available direct connect. very portable. a full 2 lens kit covering the equivelent 28 to just about 300mm FF. its larger then a P/S alot smaller then a even compact SLR. it is turning out to be well worth its price. there is the lighter priced J1 too.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Nikon-1-Cameras/index.page

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823592-REG/Nikon_27512_Nikon_1_V1_Mirrorless.html

if the gps has no real issue then i do own and appreciate the Fuji X10. feels and operats really nice. produces great images too both raw and jpg. allows you to choose the level of control you want with some real features:
manually operated zoom
a lens that actually has some ability
24-112 f2-f2.8 equivelent.

its a lot less compromise the all the p/s cameras

Edited on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:08 PM
squareeyez
• • •
p.1 #10 · I can't decide which camera to get

redbarn wrote:
I'm one of those that don't invest too much money on lenses.

Can't help you with this. I was in the same boat for a while until I tried a friend's L lens and then I was hooked. It makes all the difference but you do need to commit. Sounds like you want what we all want - a little bit more of something for a little bit of nothing.

I think someone mentioned earlier that they don't yet produce and market whet it is you are looking for

Let us know what you find!

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redbarn
• •
p.1 #11 · I can't decide which camera to get

Trojan,

I'm not trying to ditch my 40D, I'm just trying to find a substitute for my travels. If you noticed I mentioned on my post that I already tried the S100. As a matter of fact, I was lucking enough to find it at Best Buy and they even held it for me, at 345.00.

I tried it at the store, and to be honest it just too small my hands felt too big and the controls were not user friendly.

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:40 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #12 · I can't decide which camera to get

sjms
Thanks for the suggestion, those are very sharp images, the Fuji 10x looks nice but a bit over my budget I mentioned about the GPS almost like a wish list not a "must have". However, I do have a question can you tell me how to enable the GPS feature on my 40D by drop it into the EXIF.

Do you refer to actually entering the location of the shot manually? Because I'm already doing something similar using Lightroom but instead the field its called Location.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:12 PM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #13 · I can't decide which camera to get

Try Panasonic LX5, it was the best P&S camera I ever used (Leica optics plus excellent user options), I had Canon S95 and Pana is much better as a photography tool (I know, I know, it's only my opinion...

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:30 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #14 · I can't decide which camera to get

Funny that you should mention this p&S. I friend bought the S100 and she didn't like it at all, almost for the same reasons that I didn't like it, ie., too small to use it, so instead she bought the LUMIX because the Leica lenses. I might check it out but it has a very short lens and can't change lenses, however, it has a faster lens so its good for low lighting shooting.

squareeyez
Of course the L lenses are great a bit over my budget; however, I just saw one on Craigslist for about 500.00

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · I can't decide which camera to get

there are gps recorders you have with you. in software later you match the EXIF time and GPS time and then adds the GPS data to the EXIF on each image.

believe me, the X10 is well worth its price. anything else is just as i call it "soap on a rope"

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:55 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #16 · I can't decide which camera to get

Oh I though you mean that I could enable the gps feature in the 40D....
Ok I'm going back to ck the S100, Lumix 5x *Leica lense, and X10

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:40 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · I can't decide which camera to get

Oops - missed the GPS piece.

S100 for sure.

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · I can't decide which camera to get

i truely despise soap on a rope designs

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:55 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #19 · I can't decide which camera to get

Allright guys, I made up my mind but it wasn't easy.

Here is the deal I saw for the first time the Samsung TL500. I couldn't find a local merchant to see the NX10 only online. I did get a chance to see the LX5, bigger than Canon S100 (what a relief). Granted its not user friendly, not as intuitive as the Canon systems. It's amazing how the price was so spread out almost $150.

So I got the LX5 and got one hell of a deal only $300, the last one they had (black). And managed to get free shipping but it will take about 4 days not rushing it. One thing not impressed that it doesn't come with an automatic lens cover. I've seen online that you can get them, including lens adapter, UV filters.

BTW I saw another LX DZ10 16mp with GPS. I missed the sale which ended 12.24 $272. very nice camera, menu was a bit more intuitive than the LX, but it had no Aperture ratio control, but it had a munch longer zoom equivalent to 300mm+. Oh well there's always a newer sharper model.

After I did some reading about having a GPS, I decided it was not too practical, since it tends to drain a lot of battery power.

Thanks for all the input

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password