Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

I'm looking for a camera strap. The BosStrap looks interesting.
Does anyone here use it? If so.....how do you like it? What can you tell me about it?
http://www.bosstrap.com/

Thank you.

Dec 25, 2011 at 07:38 AM
Mrsekret

p.1 #2 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

While I have not used the BosStrap It looks very close to the Op Tech Sling I just picked up. I have not had a chance to really test it out but so far it's pretty comfortable and cheaper.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699658-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3501242_Utility_Strap_Sling_Black_.html

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:14 PM
pcuddihy

p.1 #3 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

I just ordered the BosStrap from B&H (haven't received it yet), but will update later with my experiences. What swayed my decision is that the metal clip lock on the BosStrap seems a bit more secure than a plastic clip lock. I've experienced (on a rare occasion) a clip lock coming loose (mostly due to user error in not making sure that it was 100% secured). That, and I still have in the garage the pieces of a plastic clip lock from a hot tub cover that literally broke during a high wind storm years ago when we lived in Colorado. Not sure that a cameras' weight swinging from either would impart the same stress's as a wind storm, but still.... that's just my personal experience with plastic clip locks.

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:03 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

pcuddihy wrote:
I just ordered the BosStrap from B&H (haven't received it yet), but will update later with my experiences. What swayed my decision is that the metal clip lock on the BosStrap seems a bit more secure than a plastic clip lock. I've experienced (on a rare occasion) a clip lock coming loose (mostly due to user error in not making sure that it was 100% secured). That, and I still have in the garage the pieces of a plastic clip lock from a hot tub cover that literally broke during a high wind storm years ago when we lived in
...Show more

I look forward to your comments on the BosStrap when you start to use it.

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:59 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

I just placed an order for the BosStrap from B&H. I'll report my experiences with it as soon as I can.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:46 AM
pcuddihy

p.1 #6 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Ok - so I received the BosStrap a couple days ago, but after contemplating its use since then I've decided to return it. First, to my concern above about plastic clip locksÖ the BosStrap appears to be very sturdy and secure in that regard. It uses a metal trigger-lock which is connected to metal D-ring/swivel that is attached to the strap. I would have no fear of those parts failing or inadvertently loosening. The strap also appears to be well made and comfortable. But some of those same things that make the BosStrap sturdy and secure are the reasons I am returning it. The metal trigger-lock and D-ring parts are metal; and as such are heavy, relative to plastic counterparts. Thatís what I donít like. When the camera is hanging by your side all is well, but when you have on the camera in-hand this collection of heavy metal parts is clanking and swaying on and around the camera body. Although (DSLR) cameras are certainly built tough I really donít care for the potential of the body and/or LCD being repeatedly banged on, with the potential for scratches or scrapes. Another reviewer opined the same for this product on the B&H website, and although I read that before ordering, it really didnít sink in until I received the product. What Iíve concluded is that I just donít want to have something big and/or heavy attached to the neck-strap lug. At this point Iím going to look closer at some sort of hybrid option, perhaps a Black Rapid, with a 2nd safety strap attached to one of the lugs. For me that sounds like the best compromise. A picture of this hybrid was recently posted in another thread in this forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070383/1#lastmessage

Patrick

Jan 01, 2012 at 01:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

I just got my BosStrap. It's official. I hate the sling strap idea altogether. The fact that the camera is connected to one lug on the camera bothers me. The BosStarp is a very comfortable strap and it works perfectly well and as advertized. But I just found out something about myself that is valuable info to me. I will never have to worry about being a sling strap user. I am a neck strap guy with the two lugs on the side of the camera attached to my strap. Secure and works well for me.

The Upstrap interested me as well........but.......I guarantee if I tried one I would worry about the camera falling off my shoulder. Sooooo........it's onto finding the perfect, comfortable neck strap. Is it the Wapiti Strap? Hmmmmmm.......

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:49 AM
pcuddihy

p.1 #8 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Tom K... I completely agree; Being in the engineering profession I am also a bit (lot!) apprehensive about the single-point-of failure possibility of using just one one (neck strap) lug. And for that matter, the potential failure of alternatively using just the tripod socket connection by itself for a Black Rapid / Sun Sniper / etc connection. So that's why I'm currently evaluating a hybrid option (lug + tripod socket). For me the sling strap concept is still a practical concept to pursue. I shoot a lot of HS baseball in the summer, primarily with a D300s & long lens, but I'd like to have a 2nd camera on-myself with a shorter lens for those impromptu close-in Jube shots / dugout shots, etc. The neck strap just doesn't work very well when I'm on the sidelines for 2-3 hours at a time, moving from place to place. The bouncing/banging is one issue; it also get's in the way of my main camera shooting; and rapidly changing weather conditions also factor in...... So, for me anyway, the sling concept stills appears practical - it's just a matter of finding (or home-brewing) the right system to balance usability with (my personal definition of) camera security.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:13 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #9 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Guys, give a look at the OpTech sling strap linked in the 2nd post above. I use this setup with heavy lenses at airshows, and it allows the weight to balance my rig perfectly when it hangs at my side, ie a 100-400 attached to a 40D will hang parallel to my waist when I want to free up my hands for something or rest my shoulder.

What I've done is bought several pairs of the quick-connect clips, as they're fairly inexpensive. The RRS lens plates on both my 100-400 and 70-200 lenses each have 2 small holes at the end of the plates. I have threaded the pig tail of a quick connect through both of those holes, on both lens plates. So, whether I'm using the 100-400 or the 70-200, the lens/camera setup is attached securely with two clips, so I have a built in backup in case one clip should fail. Having two clips instead of one also keeps the rig from spinning when hanging at my side. I don't use the sling for a body and smaller lens combo, but it would be easy enough to put one clip on each of the strap lugs on the camera body if I wanted to.

Jan 02, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

I ordered this strap: http://www.customslr.com/products/camera-split-strap

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:06 PM
pcuddihy

p.1 #11 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Tom... that CustomSLR product looks interesting. I'll look forward to your thoughts when you receive it. One thing in particular that I'd be curious about is, if you carry the camera at your side, in the sling configuration they show on their website, I'm wondering how easy it will be to get the camera up into position for taking a photo. On their website they show an example with a fellow in a white T-shirt. When he's ready to take a photo that shoulder padding is probably going to have to slide/glide across his back/neck to get the camera up for picture taking. I'm sure that works well if all you are wearing is a T-shirt, but, at least here in Alaska, we don't often have a lot of T-shirt only weather. Even in spring (HS baseball season) it can be cool and windy, and so I quite frequently am wearing a hooded sweatshirt or jacket with hood. So I'm not altogether sure how easy the strap would glide along the back of a bunched up hood or bulky jacket collar.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:02 PM
pcuddihy

p.1 #12 · Does anyone here use BosStrap?

Doug C... I've been looking at that OpTech sling too. The only thing I wasn't too sure about though, from looking at the diagram on their website, is how easy the shoulder pad would sit on my right shoulder (i.e. carry the camera on my left side). It looks like there is some significant tapering that favors the pad being carried on the left shoulder (with the camera being carried on the right side). My ideal solution is to be able to carry the camera on either side - right side if it's the only camera I'm working with, or left side if it's the 2nd camera.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password