Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Ah yes, they both were not out simultaneously for 11 years. Tracking.
Let's see some more photos!

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:50 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

RobertLynn wrote:
I don't think both versions were out for 11 years.

stanj wrote:
I can dig up my receipt for the 24L dating to late 1997.

RobertLynn wrote:
I don't think both versions were out for 11 years.

stanj wrote:
I can dig up my receipt for the 24L dating to late 1997.

rogie wrote:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24mm-f-1.4-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
TDP lists the 24L as being released in 1997.

RobertLynn wrote:
Can you dig up for receipt for the 24L Mk2 dating back to 1997?

My comment was, I do not believe that both were out for 11 years. More elaborately speaking, I don't think that you could've compared your version 1 to the-then, non-existant version 2.

So the expression "ignorance is bliss" is in full merit there. Basically, you couldn't enjoy the improvements of version 2, when it wasn't released yet.

And this kind of moronic arguments is the reason why I have you normally hidden. Never did I say that I had both for 11 years.

Having owned the mk1 for 11 years, 9 of which I used it on full frame, I am fairly acquainted with its deficiencies and never found them to be all that bothersome. Given that I have shot both the mk1 and mk2 for an overlapping time on the same body (1Ds3 and 5D2), I feel like I am reasonably adept at making a comparison.

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:07 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

stanj wrote:

And this kind of moronic arguments is the reason why I have you normally hidden. Never did I say that I had both for 11 years.

Having owned the mk1 for 11 years, 9 of which I used it on full frame, I am fairly acquainted with its deficiencies and never found them to be all that bothersome. Given that I have shot both the mk1 and mk2 for an overlapping time on the same body (1Ds3 and 5D2), I feel like I am reasonably adept at making a comparison.

Then hide me again. I'm glad you couldn't see any humor in my initial post (ripping on myself for obsessive tendencies). I wasn't saying you couldn't make a comparison. I wasn't saying you didn't own the lens for 11 years. I wasn't saying you didn't shoot full-frame. I was simply saying taht there was no version 2 for you to obsess over the for first 11 years you used the version one.

Nothing more, nothing less. Glad you felt the need to make it a fight, call me a moron and start a fight on Christmas. Sorry for offending you so much.

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:18 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Not best, but here's one from christmas at iso 6400 iirc

just a snap from our celebration, and a very quick develop.. not up to standards around here, but the lens can work well for candid grabs.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:41 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Wow, do you have 2 Christmas trees or is that a mirror in the background?

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:57 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Speaking entirely personally I found the 24L Mk1's chromatic aberration really spoiled my enjoyment of the lens. I find the Mk2 a serious improvement in that respect.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

rogie wrote:
Wow, do you have 2 Christmas trees or is that a mirror in the background?

window

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:49 AM
dakel
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

I love to shoot landscapes and family shots. What's amazing to me is that I've used this lens far more for family shots than I have for landscape shots. I thought it was going to be the opposite.

Having said that I prefer not to post family pics, in respect to their potential desire for privacy.

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:22 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

RobertLynn wrote:
I've seriously considered an mk1, but I honestly think that I'm stupid, and fickle enough that it would bother me.

Hear hear! When I had the 17-35L, I kept obsessing about how 16-35L II is "better" and guess what... I sold my 17-35 eventually for a 16-35. So of course I've been considering the 24L non-II, the 28/1.8 and the Sigma 24/1.8... but I'm afraid I'd fall into this mindset again if I buy one of those. Even though I need this lens pretty much for my own fun, not for commercially viable work (which I'm now doing only rarely).

Of course if Sigma releases an update to their 24/1.8 with HSM as the rumors state... I might buy that one instead, since it'd likely cost $800 rather than $2000.

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:28 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Some 24L II love (not my best....but a few samples)

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:35 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Snopchenko wrote:
Hear hear! When I had the 17-35L, I kept obsessing about how 16-35L II is "better" and guess what... I sold my 17-35 eventually for a 16-35. So of course I've been considering the 24L non-II, the 28/1.8 and the Sigma 24/1.8... but I'm afraid I'd fall into this mindset again if I buy one of those. Even though I need this lens pretty much for my own fun, not for commercially viable work (which I'm now doing only rarely).

Of course if Sigma releases an update to their 24/1.8 with HSM as the rumors state... I might buy that
...Show more

Thank you. This is specifically what I meant. Glad to see it wasn't taken out of context by everyone.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:15 PM
3catsinky
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Share your best 24Lii shots!

Here are a few from the 7D and 24l II. I love this lens, it's pretty much my standard lens for everything now.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password