Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Oh, if it's on a cropper, and if f/stop speed isn't a number one concern, i STRONGLY suggest this lens.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070914

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:00 AM
aborr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

The 20d was my first 'decent' digital camera. I bought a 70-200 f4 (non-is) shortly afterward. It's a huge step up from the 55-200, especially wide open. On a 20d or similar cropper, it's so nicely balanced it will make you grin every time you use it. It's sharp, and auto focuses quickly. It's one of the cheapest 'L' lenses, and IMHO, the best price/performance bargain in the Canon lineup. It's great for sports and general people shots, but a bit short for nature work.

But it's so much better than alternatives like the Sigma, that I'd rather have it plus a 300 or 400mm prime than a single long zoom. I bought a used 300mm f4 (non-IS) Canon as my second telephoto to handle situations when the 70-200 was too short. The 300 f4, 400 f5.6, and 100-400mm zoom are all good choices when you need a longer focal length. The combination of a 70-200 f4 and a 300 or 400 is hard to beat.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:16 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Should have added that I want to shoot hand held.

Robert, I saw your photos with the 55-250. Very nice ones with your son.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:43 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Chainshot wrote:
Should have added that I want to shoot hand held.

Robert, I saw your photos with the 55-250. Very nice ones with your son.

Thank you.

Viewing your photos that you posted, you would honestly not be that much happier with 300mm. To make those subject large, you would need to be much closer or have like a 600mm.

Here's the neat thing about this 55-250. I've heard that they are soft on the tele end wide open...but I was able to count every single eye lash of my sons eye. Sharp enough without sharpening. Add normal sharpening and it would be intense.

I own both that 55-250 and the 70-200 2.8is mk2. I've also owned the mk1, and a 300f/4 non is.

I know what the 70-200's can do without trying them. I don't feel the need to pick them up and be like "what can this do?"
That 55-25" though, I'm just running around shooting pictures with it and having a ball. I have to see what it can do so I'm out shooting all kinds of stuff. After work, if there's enough light, I'll drive around with it for 1/2 hour or so and add more to that thread.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:25 PM
Chainshot
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Robert, looking forward to more pics posted from using it. I'll keep an eye on your thread.

What range do you think it covers best ?

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Chainshot -- First of all: nice snag on catching that bear running around in the open like that!

I appreciate your desire to bring those tiny, distant subjects in closer, but you are up against some physical and economic realities that prevent doing so, at least easily.

Obviously, that bear is too small to appreciate any details. Shot at 250mm, you see it fills only a very small area of the image. If you double your focal length to 500mm, you will double the size of the subject -- which wouldn't be much improvement in overall image size on the sensor. If you had a 1000mm lens it would be four times the size, and at that point would start to fill a small area of the frame, but big enough to distinguish facial expression.

Can you imagine the size, weight, and cost of something along those lines for a lens? Gruesomely awkward and expensive!

On another thread there is a discussion of "heat haze" and the negative effects of atomospheric mirage and moisture evaporation on the image quality for subjects at long distance and high magnification. You would certainly be beyone "hand-holdability" on a lens of this capability.

I'm not a nature or wildlife photographer, but I would think 400-500mm would be about proper focal length. Perhaps some of these outdoor photographers will give tips about gear, preparation, and shooting techniques.

I'd say your best bets would be the 100-400L IS or the 70-300L IS and carry a 1.4X extender. Either of these is fairly portable and can be hand held (bracing would be a benefit).

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:51 PM
Chainshot
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

GUNZORRO - yep, I think I was asking too much of the 55-250 and in haste, grabbed it up and started shooting without noticing the config.

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:04 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

I do not think you are asking too much from the lens....if you get the right exposure

....and you can enlarge quite a bit and get plenty of detail, even at long distances, IF you get the exposure right...

Here's a full frame shot taken with a 135mm lens...

and here's a very enlarged crop (a 100% crop) from that shot....

IMG_3473Rvc by kitaflix, on Flickr

...and while these shots are not from the 55-250, they do show that enlarging can still get you detail from a FL less than 250....the 55-250 @ 200mm/F8 will get you results not so much different from this shot, taken at 200mm, this another 100% crop...taken from the same spot at the 135mm full frame shot above...

IMG_4087Cu13 by kitaflix, on Flickr

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

smcdmc
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Chainshot wrote:
Looking for recommendations on a telephoto lens for a 20d. Thinking about shooting more wildlife and nature subjects. I'm just a hobbyist. I tried a 55-250 and wasn't too impressed. Could have been because I had it zoomed all the way to 250. Any pics that I took at 250 were just terrible though. I want something with IS/VC/OS. Canon, Tamron or Sigma. Seems like Canon is always a tad sharper from what I've looked at and read about though. I'm thinking something up to the 300mm range. The big dog 400+ lenses would be overkill for me. Unless, something
...Show more

Do you consider the 400+ lenses overkill for the size or the price. Because for wildlife shots a 400mm is definitely not overkill. I have the Canon 400 5.6f and have used it on the 20D successfully.

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:30 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

smcdmc - I guess the biggest issues for me would be that I don't want to lug around a boat anchor or anything that would require a tri/mono pod. It would take the fun out if for me. I'm just a casual shooter and only post online for friends and family. The same goes for the cost. I have a full time job and enough money left over to buy a FF camera and really nice lens. I just think they would be over kill for what I do though.

Jay - Thanks. I just grabbed the camera that day and started shooting. I would have probably been better off to have switched it to the green knob settings

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:56 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

So it sounds like you are looking for cheap, decent and with IS. This is the lens you want: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=294&sort=7&cat=27&page=3 It is the 70-300IS non-L lens. You will gain in both image quality and durability when compared to the 55-250IS. You will get good IS, fast AF, and the ability to use it on a "full-frame" 5D or 1D type camera should you ever decide to go there.

While the 70-300 will not set any speed records for fast apertures, you can bump up your iso to 400 or 800 and shoot that lens with confidence and without a tripod. Finally, it is relatively cheap for the quality (about $400 used).

Check out the link, most seem to like it and I've seen some pretty good work from good photographers who use this as a backup to their fixed 300mm or 400mm lenses. As for me... I'm all about the primes and zooming with the legs

cheers,
bruce

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:05 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Bruce - I have a Mk.1 50mm 1.8 from my film days. It has great contrast and is sharp. I just can't compose the photo I want with it. That scares me about using a longer prime. Do you guys just shoot and then crop to get what you want from them ? Thanks for the link !

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:32 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

I generally work with a simple (but pricey) kit. I carry 3 lenses, 2 bodies, 1 converter & a tripod. I keep my 300 f2.8L IS on a 7D and will add the 1.4x to this if I plan on photographing birds. I use my 35mm Zeiss ZE for wide-angle work on a 5D mk2 or 100 f2.8L IS for short tele or macro subjects. That's my tpical kit. If I need to go wider, I pack my 15mm fisheye, otherwise I just rely on three lenses. I walk with my gear and am patient when pursuing wildlife. Your 50mm lens is a great optic, but you will need a longer lens if you want to get more wildlife keepers. The 70-300 IS is a good way to "dip your toe in." Not too pricey, but plenty of quality for a start, but beware... wildlife photography can be an addicting and expensive habit!
Cheers, bruce

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:49 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Chainshot wrote:
Looking for recommendations on a telephoto lens for a 20d. Thinking about shooting more wildlife and nature subjects. I'm just a hobbyist. I tried a 55-250 and wasn't too impressed. Could have been because I had it zoomed all the way to 250. Any pics that I took at 250 were just terrible though. I want something with IS/VC/OS. Canon, Tamron or Sigma. Seems like Canon is always a tad sharper from what I've looked at and read about though. I'm thinking something up to the 300mm range. The big dog 400+ lenses would be overkill for me. Unless, something
...Show more
already some good answers, but here are some thoughts.
1. 20d has a relatively low pixel density /count, which is fine if you dont have to crop, but dont expected to crop a lot and still end up with a great image. a 60D will give you in effect some more reach, if your technique, and all other things are favorable.
2. you cant go wrong with the 100-400L. Its the most popular wildlife lens for a reason. its hand holdable, and on the 20d will have fantastic image quality at 400 f5.6 (as it does on my 5d2). my 7d however, with its high pixel density, taxes it a little bit at those settings.
3. As others said, distance and technique are paramount. and the longer the lens, the more your errors and environmental variables are magnified.
I have a 55-250. have not shot wildlife with it, but find it over all an able lens. here is an action shot

?1317611115
of course in color and contrast, it is not in the same class as the 100-400L

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:13 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Chainshot wrote:
Do you guys just shoot and then crop to get what you want from them [primes] ? Thanks for the link !

Yes...I do have the 70-210/3.5-4.5 EF but when I shoot wildlife, sports, any long reach shot, I use my 200mm and 300mm MF Nikkor primes...

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Telephoto recomendations for a 20d

Even though it doesn't have IS, I would still recommend the 400/5.6 prime. It is an excellent lens with great quality and I hand hold it all the time (I weight 140 lbs so I'm not a big guy). Tucking in elbows and holding breath I got this picture at 1/60 through a glass.

This one at 1/200

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password