Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

GARY5D

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

Need adivise on tripod

Having recently obtained a canon 300 2.8IS lens now need to upgrade my tripod

I have a monopod which i use most of the time with this lens but need a new tripod as well

Have been looking at Manfrotto MT057c3 with a mh057mo-Q5 ball head

Have also been looking at Induro CT314 with bhd3 ball head

Induro works out cheaper but just about nobody stock them in Australia so i can't get to have a look at one to compare it

My gear is a 1d mk3 with the above lens weights in just on 4kg

I would rather get a slightly heavier tripod so if in future if i win lotto or go crazy and buy any thing bigger i can stay with the same tripod setup

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

Hi GARY5D,

Welcome to FM. Your 300/2.8L IS is a mighty fine lens. I generally get the tripod and head separately. Of course, you could get a bargain with a bundle. Can you get Gitzo, RRS and Feisol down there?

Cheers & Merry Christmas, Jim

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

Iíve been very happy with the combination of Gitzo GT3541LS tripod, Arca-Swiss Z-1 ballhead, and Wimberley Sidekick for my 300 2.8.

Iím not a fan of center columns on tripods. In my opinion they reduce stability. And, I would be afraid to mount my 300 on just a ballhead, fearing the tendency of the weight of the lens to make everything just flop over if you are not careful to tighten everything up enough every time you use the combo. The Sidekick makes maneuvering the 300 easy and secure. Of course, it essentially relegates the ballhead to being a mounting bracket for the Sidekick, but I use the Z-1 without the Sidekick for lighter lenses.

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:45 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

You do not mention how much you may want to use the tripod and ball head for things other than the new 300 f2.8 lens, and that could enter in to what you should get. My largest lens also happens to be the 300 f 2.8, and I really enjoy it.

The Gitzo GT35xxxS series of tripod legs with the removable plate top are very nice, and I can highly recomend them for that size of lens. You should avoid a center column tripod for a lens of this size. For a ball head, I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head, which is a low profile head design. The 300 f2.8 mounted on the BH-55 using a lens plate on the lens works fairly well for hand aiming, and when locked down is nice and stable.

If you want to follow action at all, some form of Gimbal mount is important. The Wimberley SideKick works well with this size of lens, and the BH-55 has a good pan base to provide smooth movement. I use my Sidekick on some trips where I do not want to haul along the full Wimberley. If you want to shoot action for long periods of time with a big lens, the full Wimberley, or a similar high quality full gimbal mount, is really a pleasure to use.

I suggest you look over the above items, which are a good match to the 300 f2.8, and then decide if you want to invest that much in a tripod system. You may have the resources to go that way soon, but if not you might be able to get part of it and make due with other parts until you can build up the full setup. The classic bad way to get to a good tripod is to buy smaller lower quality stuff, and then need to get rid of it all to eventually buy the right thing. If you can manage it, buy the right things now. If not, you at least know what to aim for eventually.

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:54 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

I had the Gitzo 5541 carbon tripod, if you want heavy and sturdy it's a good choice, I used a RRS BH-55 head on it and had my 300 on a gripped 5D on it, no issues. I finally found the tripod to be just too heavy and swapped for the RRS 34L, very solid and weighs about 4.5 lbs. Kept the RRS ballhead.

Dec 24, 2011 at 06:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

I still use a Gitzo 1548 with a RRS BH-55 with my 300L IS 2.8. I also have a 1325 which would also work. For anything larger than the 300L IS 2.8, I would recommend the 1548 over the 1325 and a Wimberley head. If you can find either of these used and in good shape, you'll have a great tripod at a bargain price.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:33 AM
Geert Koning
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

For a ballhead you should also consider Markins

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

RRS TVC-33 w/BH55 and a Wimberley Sidekick

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod advise with canon 300 2.8is

I would use the 3530LS and an BH-55 something with the Sidekick.

EBH

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password