Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Canon 5D II purchase story

arnold1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Richard Nye wrote:
They guy on the phone (your friend?) sounds really dumb. Caveat emptor. I'm not going to rely on our government to protect me. I'm going to rely on ME to protect me.

I would not call someone who does not know much about photography dumb--people have their own skills, talents and interests in life. He tried to sound like he was a novice in this to show what the seller was capable of doing.

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Nope, didn't read the article, only listened to the recording. I've tried calling places like this before because they had some great deal. When they say the battery isn't included, I hang up. There are a lot of people out there trying to get your money. You have to be careful or they will succeed.

Edited on Dec 24, 2011 at 05:19 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:59 PM
shroud72

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 5D II purchase story

High Speed Error free memory card to keep your shots from not being blurry. so thats the secret that the pros use

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:58 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Holy s*** that's just sad. I'm sure a ton of people get taken by these scammers regularly.

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:15 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 5D II purchase story

30-40 minute battery, classic. Good thing they offer the six hour batteries for sale.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:08 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Richard Nye wrote:
Nope, didn't read the article, only listened to the recording.

This when combined with a snap conclusion and some unconnected ramble about the government makes for very entertaining reading I have to say. You were trying to live up to a stereotype right?

Dec 25, 2011 at 01:34 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Merry christmas to all of you here.

Dec 25, 2011 at 01:38 PM
J_Glowacki
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Note to self: Go check all memory cards and make sure they are the special ones for error free video and non blurry motion shots......

Dec 25, 2011 at 04:39 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 5D II purchase story

That explanation was a great christmas gift for me. Before I always believed, my blured images wher caught by me. Itīs a great experiance to know itīs just nonprofessionals gears fault. Thxs

Dec 25, 2011 at 05:18 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 5D II purchase story

J_Glowacki wrote:
Note to self: Go check all memory cards and make sure they are the special ones for error free video and non blurry motion shots......

Must be one of these memory cards:

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/12/03/super-talent-cfast-high-speed-cf-card/

Dec 25, 2011 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GremlinW4

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 5D II purchase story

With sub 500 millisecond wake up time of any canon dslr made in the last 3 years the Idea that you would have a problem with a 40 minute battery is deeply ludicrous.

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:32 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 5D II purchase story

I have purchased from Abe's of Maine, only to find out later that they are dank warehouse in Brooklyn. However, I was lucky. Everything turned out just fine.

I don't think it was Abe's of Maine. They've never been in Brooklyn and they have a good reputation. Please double check your facts;

http://www.abesofmaine.com/aboutUs.do

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 5D II purchase story

GremlinW4 wrote:
With sub 500 millisecond wake up time of any canon dslr made in the last 3 years the Idea that you would have a problem with a 40 minute battery is deeply ludicrous.

The idea that there is such a thing as a "40 minute battery" for a still camera seems ludicrous to me. Still camera batteries aren't rated that way, because battery life depends mostly on number of frames shot, AF and IS usage, etc.

Still camera batteries are usually rated in mAh, or by number of shots/frames using a system developed by the Camera & Imaging Products Association.

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:09 AM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Sarsfield wrote:
I don't think it was Abe's of Maine. They've never been in Brooklyn and they have a good reputation. Please double check your facts;

http://www.abesofmaine.com/aboutUs.do

For those of us who have been around for awhile, Abes does not have a good reputation. Note the name Abes of Maine. They used to be in Maine until they were invited to leave by the Maine Attorney Generals Office (not mentioned on their website). At that time they moved to Brooklyn. Note their website says they are currently in NJ. It does not say where they were between Maine and NJ. Also, if I remember correctly, they used to be "Honest Abes of Maine". Any store that has to put "honest" in their name is highly suspect. For many years Abes of Maine has been a poorly rated store. They may have recently turned over a new leaf (which the move to NJ may have been a part of) as I have seen them recommentded in Consumer Reports.

Having personaly tried to do business with them in the past (long before the internet) and got the old bait & swithch, low cost version not in stock, costly extras, etc., I still do not trust them.

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:25 PM
Ed Woodson
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 5D II purchase story

A young lady who works with me, and is a Student at Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) received a 5D Mk2 for Christmas. Her father apparently gave it to her.

In our conversation, she mentioned that her father had purchased extra batteries for the 5D and that the battery that comes with the camera will only last about 20 minutes. Of course, I had just read through this thread and remember one of the salesmans pitches was that the original battery only lasts about 20 minutes.

I have a sad feeling that the young lady's father may have fallen victim to one of these unscrupulous sellers.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:57 AM
Gordon walker
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 5D II purchase story

When I bought my 20D back in the day, I found such a "I can't believe it" price. I got really leery when the add on pitches started and knew just enough to know the guy was full of it. I can only go back to what my Dad always said, "if it's too good to be true, bend over."

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:21 AM
Me_XMan
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Buying from Amazon.com is not a bad deal.

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:21 AM
colinm
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Back of the napkin math...

A 5D Mark II will do 4 frames per second on a good day with a tailwind.
In CIPA testing at room temperature, the LP-E6 is good for 850 shots.
850 / 4 is roughly 212 seconds.
212 / 60 is ~3.5 minutes.

I'd say "40 minute battery" is more than a little generous by that metric. What's with all the slinging around of "scam" and "unscrupulous"?

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:22 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon 5D II purchase story

Me_XMan wrote:
Buying from Amazon.com is not a bad deal.

as long as you see that it is infact FULL FILLED by Amazon, and not 34th and Shade street camera.

I remember years ago that dateline (and I am sure 20/20 and others have done this) went undercover to these shady electronic stores in NY. They sold what seemed to be name brands, but they would change the spelling of the companies - like panoasonic instead of panasonic - stuff like that. I remember stores in Tijuana that does that, but that is part of the experience there, lol.

I did buy a Fuji S602Z (like in 2002) from butterfly photo and they hosed me into getting some "crystal optiks" filters. That was the only extra they duped me into, but other than that, everything went smooth and the price was right. Now a days, i use B&H, (Adorama as well), Amazon, eBay (on some things), Shutterbug, FredMiranda or CL - that is pretty much it.

If a deal is too good to be true, you will get smoked.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:04 AM
Ed Woodson
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon 5D II purchase story

colinm wrote:
Back of the napkin math...

A 5D Mark II will do 4 frames per second on a good day with a tailwind.
In CIPA testing at room temperature, the LP-E6 is good for 850 shots.
850 / 4 is roughly 212 seconds.
212 / 60 is ~3.5 minutes.

I'd say "40 minute battery" is more than a little generous by that metric. What's with all the slinging around of "scam" and "unscrupulous"?

Good one.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password