Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

DesertDiesel

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

I am in the market for a flash, and have ordered an imported product (no USA warranty) at a price of $299 USD. Looking for any history the users here may have on imported or grey market product?

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:41 AM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

Nikon's policy is that they won't repair grey market equipment, but there are other choices of service and repair aside from sending to Nikon. I've had a couple non-US lenses but never a flash. $299 is a great price. If you receive a new/working SB-900, you got a smoking deal.

Dec 24, 2011 at 01:21 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

That price sounds "too good to be true"

Be warned, it may well be a scam.

<Chas>

Dec 24, 2011 at 06:15 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

I agree. Grey market stuff is generally not discounted 40% off. I too would be worried it is a scam.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

Normally 'Grey market stuff' can be sent back to the country it was imported from for full warranty repair. Other 'Grey' Nikon products have been easily repaired by Nikon when required and out of warranty, so I don't really understand the concern. There's always the chance that whatever you buy might be that unlucky one in the batch, so the inconvenience of the warranty return is the risk you run.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

I wouldn't be worried buying a gray market flash from a reputable dealer. B&H, for example, has an "Import" SB-900 for $469, versus $638.95 for a "USA" version.

$299, though, sounds too good to be true, and as the old saying goes, "If it seems to good to be true..."

I have visions of a high-pressure salesman in a smoke-filled office in New Jersey calling to confirm your order, and asking you if you want the $200 dedicated flash foot for your camera model. Oh, and the special $50 AA alkaline batteries that prevent blurry pictures by giving faster flash recycling.

Hopefully, though, all will be okay in your case and I'm just having paranoid delusions.

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:48 AM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon SB-900 Imported product

Best Buy was closing out the SB-900's for $449.99. Not sure if that is of any use.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:47 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password